Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Catalytic Converter thefts.
  • takisawa2

Anyone had one stolen ?

My brother hears a noise outside, early hours of Fri morning. peeks though the curtains & there’s a Mondeo parked across his drive, someone in the car & chap by my brothers car, (a 4yr old Kia Sportage). So my brother shouts WTF etc, & theres a shout (in what he first thought was an Eastern European accent) & another chap appears from behing my brothers car carrying what appeared to ba a tank & a hose coming from it. They jump into this Mondeo & off they go before picking up another chap waiting on the corner.
    My brother calls the Police & goes out to check the car. Thinking they were stealing fuel but then realises they were actually cutting the cat off the car…!!!
    Turns out this tank & pipe was some kind of hydraulic scissor as the exhaust had been literally cut in half. Police told him next day that they had actually chased this car for a good 45 mins but abanodened the chase due to the speeds they were travelling at etc. Eventually finding the car abanodened after scrambling a force helicopter. In the boot about half a dozen stolen cats (not the meowing type obviously). 🙄
    Police said its a misconception that they are stealing these cats because of the precious metals inside them, most are actually sold on as spares…
    Cue a phone call to Kia & a quote for £300 to replace the exhaust…
    Cue a visit to a local exhaust centre who welded the whole mess back up for £30. 🙂

project
    Free Member

The cat is there to ensure the emissions are correct for the mot, youll find out at the next mot or spot check.

Lots of cats going missing, usually on vehicles with a higher floor height.

higthepig
    Free Member

Saw the local news in the Midlands earlier this week, seems to be a growing trend to steal them, not sure what you could do to prevent it if you can only park outside.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    brakes
    Free Member

Project, I think he means that they welded the old cat back in.

project
    Free Member

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/security/catalytic-converter-theft.html

Last year or the year, before cycling on the cycle track through chester zoo that backs onto the park and ride site, some suspicious characters, appears they where robbin the catalytic convertors off visitors cars they got quite a few.

http://www.ellesmereportpioneer.co.uk/ellesmere-port-news/local-ellesmere-port-news/2010/04/21/police-warning-after-thieves-steal-catalytic-converters-from-eight-cars-at-chester-zoo-55940-26281694/

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Catalytic Converter thefts.’ is closed to new replies.