Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Cat S**t prevention
  • Kryton57

What’s the best way to prevent Cats (our own!) shi**ing in the flower bed outside our back door (yes, very convienient for them)?

We’ve tried Pepper, Garlic and the chemical pellets and am considering a sensor triggered sonic device except that may also keep them from coming back to the house.

Any idea (no dead cat content please, Mrs K has ruled that out)?

schrickvr6
    Free Member

This thread has been done so many times….

Kryton57

It has? links then please?

Harry_the_Spider

Rub its nose in it then give it for a ride on this.

toys19
    Free Member

I have used succesfully this method.

1) Be nice to cat so you can catch it.
    2) Grab by scruff of neck and shove its nose in the shit, prolong this.
    3) Every time you see the cat in the future spray it with water pistol/hose and say nasty things.

Cats do not come into my garden any more.

sideshowdave
    Free Member

Put fresh cut in half lemons in the flower beds and that will stop them. Sounds like an old wife’s tail but It worked for me anyway.

fasthaggis

What’s the best way to prevent Cats (our own!) shi**ing in the flower bed outside our back door (yes, very convienient for them)?

If you can get your road bike average over 20mph ,teh cats will be so impressed ,that they will do anything you ask.

HTH 🙂

Kryton57

Lol,

I need to stop posting I’m getting too much of a reputation around here… ^^^^

hora
    Free Member

I’d like to know. I’m not against cats however I really will be looking at firmer measures as there is usually alot of cat shit in our back garden to clean up. I’ve run the lawn mower over it before and had it on my shoes/lower pants etc. There are ALOT of cats on our street. Maybe I should get another Terrier and let it cat-hunt in the back garden.

patriotpro
    Free Member

A cat shitting in a garden other than where it lives – GET IN!

fasthaggis

I need to stop posting I’m getting too much of a reputation around here…

Too late ,your posts are here foreeeeeeeeva 🙂

mogrim

I ended up buying a bag of stones to stop my kittens crapping in the flower pots, wouldn’t mind that much but they’re house plants 🙄

So get some stones, need to be heavy enough they can’t be shifted around, gravel won’t do it.

jota180
    Free Member

What’s the best way to prevent Cats (our own!) shi**ing in the flower bed outside our back door

I take it you’re looking to have your cats shit in someone else’s garden?

enduroforever
    Free Member

Buy a staffy and leave it in your garden, that will cure your problem

trb
    Free Member

Cats sh*tting in their own garden? Very much to be encouraged IMO
    If you stop them going in your garden, aren’t you just shifting the problem to one of your neighbours?
    If you dislike your neighbours that much why don’t you just scoop it up a chuck it over the fence?

Can you tell I’m not a cat owner, but my neighbour is?

ransos
    Free Member

If you stop them going in your garden, aren’t you just shifting the problem to one of your neighbours?

Quite.

cupra
    Free Member

Cats sh*tting in their own garden? Very much to be encouraged IMO
    If you dislike your neighbours that much why don’t you just scoop it up a chuck it over the fence?

Can you tell I’m not a cat owner, but my neighbour is?

This, oh and get a lurcher 😉

patriotpro
    Free Member

patriotpro – Member
    A cat shitting in a garden other than where it lives – GET IN!

😳

Meant to say in a garden other where it doesn’t live…

*I’ll start digging now*

Kryton57

You’ll see that I didn’t ask for advice about encouraging our cats to poo in someone elses garden. we have a 100ft garden, the last 50ft is shrubbery with a path through the middle. I’d be quite happy for them to poo in the shrubbery either side of the path.

Just not on top of the flowerbed by out back door, uncovered in full view / smell. I’m guessing they are just being lazy and I’m not inclined to stand in the cold holding a hose every time they go out, just in case.

So at the moment we are stuck with lemons?

mherbie
    Free Member

You could always invest in a litter tray, I wish our neighbors would.

Kryton57

Well that just brings the problem indoors, no good with 2 young kids.

float
    Free Member
    cheers_drive

Are new next door neighbours have a cat and since they turned up a few poos have appeared in our garden. It must be a female cat and be attracting tom cats because having only ever seen an occasional one in the street before there are now often 3 or 4.
    I can just about cope with the poo but the garden birds have stopped coming now 😐

ourmaninthenorth

The only proportionate response:

stuarty
    Free Member

Go to your local zoo
    Gather yourself a nice bag of lion or tiger shit
    Place this in your flower bed
    Result

mightymule
    Free Member

Covered litter tray, outdoors.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Indeed, I see no issue with cat poo in gardens. Assuming it’s your own cat I’m not sure why you do either, the alternative is to train it to use a litter tray. Forcing it to use other people’s gardens isn’t exactly nice is it? If you don’t want it, no-one else will. That said, I don’t care about cat poo, especially as it’s usually in the soil which is helpful for the plants. I find dog poo in the middle of my grass more of a problem (and far more common!).

FWIW from experience, the more you try to put smells down to stop cats weeing and pooing in a certain area, the more you force them to do it (territory marking etc).

I can just about cope with the poo but the garden birds have stopped coming now

It’s winter, they stop coming so much over winter 🙂 But all jokes aside, we had 3 cats (2m, 1f) over 20 years (all 3 at the same time for abotu 10 years) and about 5 other local cats visiting, and a healthy garden bird population without regular killings, it’s unlikely to be linked.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Cat S**t prevention’ is closed to new replies.