Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Cat experts please
  • roper
    Free Member

Our cat has discovered quite a talent for committing genocide to the local small creature population. It started with small works and spiders ( the bastard ) but is now a full blown bird junkie.  His habit is so bad he is on a least one bird a day, and that’s just the ones we know about.

He is fed well and has a bell. The only thing I can think is either he only picks on hard of hearing animals or he is hard to see,  he’s completely black.

Ii did wonder about trying to attach a rainbow clown wig and pink tutu to make him easier to see. Are there any other methods we can introduce to stop the massacre?

( please no, “just kill the cat” answers)

perchypanther
    Free Member

( please no, “just kill the cat” answers)

Whatever you do…….don’t kill it , then have it stuffed and mounted on a wooden stand with an engraved brass plaque.

That would be a catastrophe.

40mpg

That pun is really paw.

kerley
    Free Member

Keep it indoors.

Nico
    Free Member

Is it because he is black?

He is just improving the gene pool. Leave him to it.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

If you don’t nip this in the bud, it could cataclysmic to the local eco system.

You need to paws for thought on what your next action should be.

On a more serious note, if he is like a ninja assassin, you don’t have much hope, apart from not letting him out. One of mine (now dead) was like a one cat killing machine. The number of carcasses he could rack up was staggering. Never eaten though, always presented on the door mat.

He was obviously just keen to please 🙂

verses

Ours are on a curfew at the moment – only allowed out at times when the feeder activity is quietest.

grenosteve
    Free Member

Cant you get an ultrasonic collar thing to warn the birds?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Cover it in sudocrem

perchypanther
    Free Member

Use  kitchen roll tubes and put one on each of his legs.

He’ll still be able to walk like a robot but won’t be nimble enough to catch a mouse.

Post video.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

We had a similar-ish problem (partly killing things, though mostly the issue was his crazed bin dipping, he once found an empty ghee barrel and came back all greased up).  We solved this by keeping him at night.

Obvs this won’t work if your chap is killing during the day.

convert

Ours did this – she was a rescue cat and I think had been very self sufficient in a former life. She would eat everything but the spleen mostly but the tormenting the poor things did not make her a popular member of the household for a while. Size was no obstacle – the night I stayed away unexpectedly and she hadn’t got fed I came home to a spreadeagled dead gull on the patio with a hollowed out body and a red headed cat. Like a scene from a wildlife film! She is a tiddler too – never weighed more than 2.5kg. She is now 19, stone deaf and mainly sleeps never venturing beyond the patio and actually frightened of mice etc.

Only advise is curfew from dusk till dawn. Maybe a bell on a collar though ours would get herself stuck with a collar putting her paw/leg through it trying to remove it and becoming totally stuck.

ivorhogseye
    Free Member

I’m not a fan of putting collars on cats.

Here’s an article on how amazing they are:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/pets/7782632/Change-your-cats-bell-to-save-birds.html

goldfish24

as above, first step is keep indoors at night. We’ve recently discovered that during these long days we’re better off locking her in after dinner, say 7pm. She then becomes a bit more settled in the house even during the following day and less likely to spend hours outside hunting.

Beagleboy

Just be thankful it’s little birds he’s murdering. A couple of years back our two had their moment of glory. I’d come downstairs in the morning and fed them as usual. Then I had breakfast and got myself ready for work. As I was leaving the house I picked up the small backpack that I take with me…and all hell broke loose. They’d put a live rabbit in my backpack. I know it was them because my wife’s not quite that mean, and because when I finally stopped screaming I turned round and both of the little buggers were sitting at the kitchen door watching me….and I swear, I swear they were smirking.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

He is fed well and has a bell.

Buy a much bigger bell!

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

oh dear, i could have posted this, although our cat is persil white with a missing fang and hes at the next stage

namely killing the local wildlife and dismembering it..

no idea where the heads all are..

fossy

We have a rescue that we discovered has cat flu so have him in a cat run/house.

He spends quite a bit of time darting round the house chasing birds that have flown over.

As he had lived wild he is a master of catching flies so I no doubt a bird would be no problem.

The older cat isnt bothered about chasing stuff.

roper
    Free Member

Our “problem” cat does not eat them, yet. He tends to just drop them in my son’s bedroom. We had a live frog in there last week. He did try a large bird recently which he couldn’t get through the catflap. We only know this from the amount of feathers outside the door.

Yesterday was a green finch in the morning and a starling in the afternoon.

I have fitted a second bell now. Just sounds like Santa is creeping round the garden.

Trimix
    Free Member

Its a cat, this is what it does.  If this is a problem you should have asked for a vegetarian cat.

Get used to it.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Cat experts please’ is closed to new replies.