• This topic has 50 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by fossy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Cat deterrence šŸˆ
  • yourguitarhero
    Free Member

My girlfriendā€™s cats are getting bullied by another cat.
    It fights them in the garden and even comes in the house and eats their food, fights them in there too! If the windows are shut it bangs on them and makes this insane sound that sounds like a baby on fire.

Itā€™s stressed one of her cats out so much itā€™s got bladder problems which is bad for it (male cat) and means stress and vet bills for my lass.

We tried a big supersoaker. You can squirt it right in the face repeatedly and it doesnā€™t care. Even tried lemon juice in the water gun. Iā€™ve chucked a full pail of water over it to no effect. Itā€™s some kind of demon!

Any ideas? I donā€™t want to hurt it or anything. Iā€™ve heard about lion poo etc, but that would stop her cats going out too? Maybe some kind of bear spray or teargas!

perchypanther
    Free Member

A boot up the hoop?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Trap it, take to not too local cat protection charity . Leave with a donation. Hope itā€™s not chipped.

DavidB
    Free Member

Firstly get a cat flap that is chip activated. Keeping the bullies out of your house gives your cat sanctuary and territory it can own.

Next own the other cats with bombers. You can try sonic deterrent boxes but they will affect your cat as well and in my experience donā€™t work.

ElShalimo

Feed it, build up a rapport, then hoof it over the fence

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Put it in the car, drive to the dodgiest estate you can think of, mibbe 30 miles away, let it oot. See how hard it is then.

scotroutes

Sorry to hear your girlfriends pussy has developed incontinence due to an interloper.

Can you set the catflap to let this cat in but not back out, then stick it in a box and either take it to a cat rescue place or for a long drive into the countryside?

TedC

Trap it, take to not too local cat protection charity . Leave with a donation. Hope itā€™s not chipped.

We did something similar (on advice from our vet after repeated visits having ours treated following full on fights, not just hissing matches).

globalti
    Free Member

Weā€™ve had this with a scruffy black cat that scared our younger cat so much that she used to crap herself when it appeared. Itā€™s all about territory and mousing rights. Short of finding a way to get rid of the invader I donā€™t know what can be done.

perchypanther
    Free Member

What you need is a pair of thick gloves, a pack of frozen sausages and a malletā€¦.

tomd
    Free Member

Seek out a bad tempered staffie or basset hound as a new pet? You may end up with a dog problem but the cat problem wouldnā€™t be long for this world.

BadlyWiredDog

Does this other cat ā€˜belongā€™ to someone or is it feral?

scotroutes

Ā is it feral

Are you accusing him of making up the whole story?

Cougar

CatTFU.

even comes in the house

How? Cat flap? Change it for one keyed to her catsā€™ collar / chip.

BadlyWiredDog

Are you accusing him of making up the whole story?

Iā€™m just asking if the cat belongs to a neighbour or if itā€™s living wild. Iā€™m guessing you were trying to make a real poor joke. The correct term is fur real. HTH.

Houns

Catch it, take it to the vets and get its nuts chopped off

woody2000

BadlyWiredDog

The jokeā€¦

woody2000

It was a bad ā€˜un alright šŸ™‚

schrickvr6
    Free Member

You need to try and find out if itā€™s owned or a stray, does it look scruffy and does it have a collar? Some rescues would come out and scan for a chip or/and you could try to get a paper collar on it asking ā€œdo I have a home? If yes please call 07*******.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

And definitely get a Sureflap microchip catflap, if their safe space had been compromised It will certainly stress them.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Put cat flap on inbound only. Give the other cat an experience it doesnā€™t want to repeat.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Thereā€™s no cat flap ā€“ just open/close window to let them out.

Its not a stray cat, I think itā€™s owned by a lady over the road.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Can you fit a catflap instead?

ElShalimo

What you need is a pair of thick gloves, a pack of frozen sausages and a malletā€¦.

Perchy reliving his formative years at the panthers correctional instituteā€¦šŸ¤”

Itā€™s okay, weā€™re here if you need to talk.

oikeith

If the window is double glazed you could consider replacing the pane with a new one with a gap for a cat flap and then fit one. would cost a few hundred but maybe cheaper on the long run then vets bills.

chakaping
    Free Member

Tricky one, Forcibly relocating someone elseā€™s pet seems a bit off, but if your GF discusses the issue with the owner now and then goes down that route later ā€“ she will have made herself the prime suspect.

oddnumber
    Free Member

Donā€™t relocate it, have a heart.

Fitting a catflap ā€“ and a microchip scanning one at that ā€“ is the simplest and best solution. We were in the same boat recently so I fitted a replacement Sureflap, problem solved. My eldest cat was struggling with stress-related wazzing which has now fortunately cleared up.

scotroutes

The chipped catflap surely only addresses part of the issue if the OPs cats are being attacked outdoors too.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

It means their safe space is secure so they wonā€™t feel constantly threated either by the ā€˜enemyā€™ cats presence or scent. Please donā€™t go relocating it disposing of someone elseā€™s pet, if you really are recommending this youā€™re a genuinely shitty human being.

BadlyWiredDog

Tricky one, Forcibly relocating someone elseā€™s pet seems a bit off, but if your GF discusses the issue with the owner now and then goes down that route later ā€“ she will have made herself the prime suspect.

Mr Guitar-Hero. In the garden. With a sledgehammerā€¦ erm, I donā€™t know what discussing it with the owner would achieve unless sheā€™s willing to lock the cat in the house. I guess potentially if itā€™s an un-neutered tom and thatā€™s part of the problem, you could offer to contribute to the cost of having its balls snipped, but thatā€™s not a guaranteed solution anyway.

What you do have control of is the option to fit a chip-operated cat-flap and Iā€™d agree with those suggesting it as the first thing to try. It sounds like a brute of a cat, I super-soaked the neighbourā€™s mog a few times and it now legs it at the slightest hint of my approach.

5thElefant
    Free Member

There are various plans for sentry guns (youtube is a good starting point). Usually for nerf guns. Stopping it targeting your cat may be possible with rfids. More hassle than a cat flap but much more entertaining.

oddnumber
    Free Member

What @schrickvr6 said, exactly ^

Iā€™ve helped with rescue centres before and if youā€™d consider that then youā€™ve a problem.

tthew

The chipped catflap surely only addresses part of the issue if the OPs cats are being attacked outdoors too.

I* think itā€™d help hugely. If they are reliant on having a window opened to let them in, presumably they are stuck outside getting battered by the Megatom for some time. Clever catflap gives them an escape route at least.

*not a cat owner

Cougar

It gives them somewhere safe to run away to though.

How the hell is it getting in then, osmosis? Has she just got the window wide open unattended all day? If so youā€™re lucky itā€™s only cats coming in and not someone relieving you of your telly (and an obvious solution presents itself).

if itā€™s an un-neutered tom and thatā€™s part of the problem, you could offer to contribute to the cost

If no-one owns it, many vets will do this for free I believe. Itā€™s far preferable to putting down two dozen unwanted kittens.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

catlflap requires a clever cat, mine could either never work them out of prefers to show her superiority at being able to command us to open doors and windows for her all hours of the day and night.

martinhutch

Christmas project. You might want to keep your cats in when itā€™s running though.

downshep

Our cat was bullied for months by the neighbourā€™s larger male, bites, scratches vets bills, antibiotics, the lot. We could only let our cat out if the other wasnā€™t around but it often appeared and the attacks continued, resulting in more injuries, the cone of shame and big vets bills. Eventually bought a catapult and as soon as the evil bā€™stard appeared over the fence, it got pelted with small stones regardless of whether or not our cat was in or out. It soon learned our garden was no longer safe and the attacks eased off. Iā€™m not proud but it worked.

fossy

Youā€™ve got the scare the bugger off ā€“ Iā€™m assuming a male with itā€™s nuts. They arenā€™t nice ā€˜whole malesā€™.

Super soakers have worked for us before with Toms.

PS We have 5 indoor cats ā€“ one was outdoor, but she is partially sighted and old now. We have a rescue male, and 3 pedigrees ā€“ one male, and 2 female. The rescue male got very grumpy with the other cats when a neighbour moved in with a cat that came into our garden (we have an enclosed cat run), but heā€™s settled down now.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Yeah, not going to relocate someoneā€™s cat or kerbstomp it.
    Windows are opened to let them out, shut after. Opened to let them in when miaowing etc. But occasionally left open a little long and other cat gets in.
    Could probably do the RFID cat flap, but a lot of work/expense. Very thick walls = core bit hire, double glazed windows, uPVC doors with all kinds of decoration on = dismantling and fitting new panel etc.
    Doable, but not easy or cheap and probably wonā€™t fix ā€“ most of the issues are outside of the house walls. Wee Marvin is a nervous soul.

Do they sell those guns out the corridor in Aliens that recognise a cats collar? Might have to nuke from orbit to be sure.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ā€˜Cat deterrence šŸˆā€™ is closed to new replies.