Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cat deterrant spikes
  • ferrals
    Free Member

Does anyone use these sort of things and do they work? We have an awful problem with cats defecating in our garden. I’ve tried more homeopathic approaches like planting things that smell bad to the cats but it makes no difference. With a soon to be born daughter I need to make sure these droppings stop soon so any bacteria and worms are dead by the time she is crawling. Have given up on the front garden as its open but the back is completely enclosed so figure if I can stop them climbing the fences it should improve things.

globalti
    Free Member

Have you ever seen a cat walking along a fence or wall? They can tread delicately so I’m sure that strip of spikes won’t deter them.

If you don’t want to get a cat, which will mark your garden as it territory and defend it, you need to create the impression of a bigger animal living there. I’ve heard of people getting good results with lion poo though I’m not sure how you’d get hold of that. I work for a perfume company so I’d be tempted to try dripping a solution of civet around the boundaries, though again I’m not sure where you’d get that. You’ve got a few months yet before the sprog starts crawling around the garden!

palmer77
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/uIbkLjjlMV8[/video]

[video]https://youtu.be/goZ2DqMnaGc[/video]

martinhutch

I’ve tried more homeopathic approaches like planting things that smell bad to the cats

Try planting less of the stuff. Or maybe none at all. The effect will be greater. 😀

The only way to stop cats from climbing a fence is to make it overhang on the other side. Then again, if you make it overhang by 45 degrees on your side, the culprit bastards won’t be able to get out again post-poo, and will be at your mercy.

Harry_the_Spider

Spent coffee grounds work well for me, as does a well aimed glass of water.

The best result was though when I loudly said that I wanted to find where the cat lived so that I could return a bucket full of shit. I suspect that the neighbours heard me and kept the cat in. Or a fox killed it.

whitestone
    Free Member

A PIR activated “water pistol” – they attach to a garden hose via standard (Hozelok) connectors.

ferrals
    Free Member

I like the water pistol idea whitestone, especially as I can imagine it could be useful for pranks in the summer too 😆

What do you do with the coffee grounds HtS? just chuck on flower beds?

bails

We had baby birds in our garden last spring, when I saw the neighbours cat sniffing around the bush the nest was in I shouted and threw stones towards* it, it’s been terrified of me ever since and I’ve only seen it in the garden once in the 7-8 months since.

*near, not at, I actually quite like cats, but didn’t want it to eat the birds!

petec
    Free Member

cats lick their paws a lot, especially cleaning.

I’ve heard people use things like this, which gets on their paws. It’ll probably deter them.

You may need to replenish after heavy rain. And of course you can use the rest in cooking.

No use for me unfortunately; a garden with no fences at all, in an area where every other house has at least one cat. The kids now know to check the garden before playing.

But as the cats generally seem to use the same place on a regular basis, you can just check that place. If you clean it up, sprinkle a dash of vinegar or similar, they lose the attractive latrine smell. They will just set up elsewhere though, so when they find a place that is ‘acceptable’ just let them continue!

petec
    Free Member

or even

tthew

Get the soon to be born daughter a nice pet rabbit, and don’t get it neutered. let it roam the enclosed garden during the day, and the cats soon get fed up with being chased for sex.

eltonerino
    Free Member

A PIR activated “water pistol” – they attach to a garden hose via standard (Hozelok) connectors.

Works for us when it has batteries in it. And keeps them out for a while after, but they get bold again.

Frisbees are also a great cat scarer.

dovebiker

If we had our way, this would be the most suitable ‘spike’ deterrent for cats in our garden – our garden is now barren of the any birds since the neighbour got a couple – flamin’ vermin – dogs are getting too old to care.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cat deterrant spikes’ is closed to new replies.