Cat advice.

Home Forum Chat Forum Cat advice.

Viewing 23 posts - 46 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Cat advice.
  • mightymule

Try getting some advice from a feline behaviourist – it may be possible to solve some of the soiling issues.

Failing that, I find it very very hard to believe that the right re-homing organisation would not be able to find somewhere suitable for such a lovely cat.

Premier Icon bearnecessities
    Subscriber

Thanks, the problem is that his “issues” will prevent successful rehoming. My circumstances are such I can’t keep him, yet I won’t send him anwhere where he will be locked up in a cage.

There have been some great suggestions though of good rehoming charities which give me renewed hope and I will be following up on Tuesday.

..and no, sadly if faced with a duvet, a bath or a litter tray, he will pick the former 2 every time.

I don’t know what the carpet pissing business was all about, but I’ve not given him the opportunity to try again. House stinks still; I have emptied so many chemicals to try to rid smell I fear it’s new carpet time.

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

When we first got our two kittens, one of them really like pissing on Duvets – inc when we were asleep under it. Eventually he ‘grew out of it’, but it took a few months and many duvet washing sessions!

cranberry

One simple tip until you get him a new home – leave a little bit of water in the bath at all times = one less place to clean up because he won’t want to get his paws wet.

Good idea cranberry, although if it doesn’t use the litter tray then the bath is a lot easier to clean than a carpet or bed. And of course just shutting the bathroom door would also stop him from making a mess in the bath 🙂

Subscriber

I’m drawing a blank with the Lothian; waiting list of a hundred cats.

This is now turning into a plea – surely someone here must fall for the charms of this beautiful, affectionate little fella – just keep him away from your bath or your bedroom?

Previous offer stands; I’ll deliver him anywhere and assist with any costs if you’re on a tight budget.

I really want to avoid the last resort..

Premier Icon gofasterstripes
    Subscriber

*waves arms around*

Have you tried Feliway!??!

Failing that I do know a cat rehoming charity, but whether they will take him IDK.

Subscriber

Sorry, never addressed that did I?! No, haven’t tried it, mainly because the fella doesn’t show any signs of being stressed in the slightest (realise that cats can be hard to read).

I will try it, but most pressing issue now is that he has to go – I’m starting to think that his behavourial whoopsie isn’t actually what’s preventing rehoming – these poor charities appear just inundated.

schrickvr6

If I didn’t have six already I’d be interested. What I can’t believe is that you haven’t even tried something like Feliway because he doesn’t look stressed. I’m pretty sure from what you’ve said though that he’s developed a negative association that using the litter tray will make him feel bad, if you haven’t already you should try a new tray or better still new trays in different places and with multiple litters, and a Feliway certainly worth a try. Also a behavioural expert could be worth a try? Although it sounds like you’re dead set on getting rid of him now which I find surprising if you are as attached as you say….

Subscriber

To be fair – there’s only so much cat poo one can handle spread around the house!

grum

I hope my wife doesn’t see this thread or we will probably have a new cat fairly soon! Hope something gets sorted – he looks like a cool character.

I’ve got a cat with the crystals problem, he’s in the vet at the moment as it goes, but luckily he hasn’t developed these other traits … are you sure they’re related?

Like the others have said, a behaviourist+Feliway must surely be worth a try before the other options?

Good luck with it whatever you do decide to do.

Subscriber

What I can’t believe is that you haven’t even tried something like Feliway because he doesn’t look stressed. I’m pretty sure from what you’ve said though that he’s developed a negative association that using the litter tray will make him feel bad, if you haven’t already you should try a new tray or better still new trays in different places and with multiple litters, and a Feliway certainly worth a try. Also a behavioural expert could be worth a try? Although it sounds like you’re dead set on getting rid of him now which I find surprising if you are as attached as you say

Well, I expected the thinly veiled judgmental post to occur sooner or later.

To make things a bit clearer for others, which is probably needed:

Using a litter tray: Not a single problem, never has been.

The bath thing: When he had one of his visits to the vets, something got wrapped up, stretched and very inflamed (makes me wince writing it). This is the real shock that he had. He was on painkillers, inti-inflams etc and to prevent litter particles getting in there during his healing persiod (about 6 weeks), we allowed him to use just paper, or even just the empty tray. This also gave the benefit of seeing how many crystals he was getting out of his system by himself. Now, unsurprisingly, it appears he associates the smooth bath surface, with a huge empty litter tray.

Dealt with by keeping bathroom door closed.

The duvet thing: When he was a kitten, he did a whoopsie on the bed. No big deal; he never did it again. Until after all the crystal business. He won’t do it if you’re in bed, but if you leave that bedroom door open when you’re out, expect to find a present on the duvet.

Dealt with by keeping the bedroom door closed.

Carpet wetting: He’s only done it the once; not sure why. It could be because there was a thunderstorm that night, but I’m don’t know.

The problem is, I cannot give him a quality home now due to being only me here, and I now spend a lot of time away, so all he will see is a cat-sitter for half an hour, and the above ‘features’ to his personality are making rehoming a difficulty.

I’m starting to realise that any rehoming charities are not interested unless the cat is abandoned, or with kittens.

He’s not a lost cause, all he needs is someone that can keep the bedroom & bathroom doors closed and feed him Hills C/D wet, in morning and at night.

EDIT: D_K good luck for kitty – that Hills C/D stuff is miracle-food; Pet-supermarket is usually the best source if you end up on that route – they deliver by DPD as well which makes things easier.

orangina

Now then, bearnecessities, don’t give schrickvr6 a hard time!
    How can you say ‘I want to avoid the last resort’ and have not tried everything possible??? The cat is in your way, isn’t he ?! Yes, it’s not nice to clean up cat poo, or have to think about keeping doors closed all the time. And it costs money to pay a cat sitter, especially if he should spent some time with the cat as well. Should have thought about that before you got a cat.
    One of our 3 cats throws up on a regular basis and has the shits quite a lot and misses the poo box. We clean it up, and that’s that. When we took these cats on, it was forever. We paid a fortune to take them to Germany as we recently moved back, the 19 hour drive with them in the back of the van wasn’t exactly easy either. But they are family and they stay with us whatever.
    Until you find yours a place you should just deal with it and his problems and get a good sitter when you are away.

‘The last resort’ FFS.

judeyoga

Definitely try feliway. After a long and expensive illness our cat used to pee in very inconvenient and odd places (cooker, sink etc) to the point that he was bleeding because he was doing it so much. We used the plug in Feliway and it was amazing, we were definitely cynical but when it ran out (we hadn’t noticed) it started again. Took two months of Feliway before it stopped for good. Definitely try it.

schrickvr6

Call it what you want, judgemental yeah probably because your posts sounded like “I’m all out of ideas and I’ve tried nothing”. Even if you are set on rehoming him fix some of his issues then this will surely be easier.

Another thing you can try is puppy training pads…..

dan1980

When I got my cat, he’d pee on anything, and stare me down doing it.

The feliway stuff did seem to calm his confrontational attitude which the vet put down to stress and he did stop urinating on things.

One tip I did get off the vet was that normal detergent apparently doesnt get rid of the smell of cat waste, and if the cat can still smell things, will think it’s acceptable to go there again.

The suggestion I got was to use neat white vinegar to spot clean furniture etc. and to add a tablespoon of the stuff to anything that ends up in the washing machine.

I’m not sure if it will help in the case of the OP but it might be worth a try.

Subscriber

At a guess, rehoming him will knock all those habits back a bit anyway.

Surely, if you can’t keep him [and i’m pretty close to that with my fish] and he needs rehoming because your circumstances have changed, then your best bet is to spend a loads of quality time with him when you can, fill the house with fake cat “it’s mine” pheromones [feliway] and advertise him locally or nationally as a cat for a good home. When you do find him a home, give them a supply of feliway to get him settled in.

Have you tried the local paper, and asked your neighbours [have you already said that I don’t know and I’m typing too fast to look it up 😉 ]?

I’ll sling the cat rehoming place I know a quick email, see if they can help. As they are normally dealing with rescued/abandoned cats I would suspect the thing to do if they will take him is to ask what exactly they might benefit from in the way if reimbursement/assistance.

Subscriber

Thanks GFS, very decent of you, and for taking time to actually read thr posts!

Yes, he gets lots of attention, love and play time. He is spoilt. I will also try the feliway, although I’m fine keeping doors closed, he’s facing a lonely life now which is such a waste of a fabulous personality.

I’m happy to pay any rehoming place for his keep until a new home is found. I can’t let him go anywhere where he is kept in a small cage in the interim though.

Subscriber

Posted on

https://www.facebook.com/groups/61368066971/ with no direct link to this thread. You may be able to comment on the facebook page yourself? I don’t know, but if you can’t I’ll just put you in contact if required.

Best of luck mate.

Subscriber

Wow great thanks (not on fb though!) but I guess you’ve posted something with his details on. Thank you.

Subscriber

Hi guys and gals. A person on a forum I frequent has a beautiful Ragdoll/Maine coon cross that requires rehoming. The owner is very very fond of him, and does not wish to rehome him, however he is now working away from home for long periods, and is unable to give the cat the attention he wants and the cat needs.

Due to his concern for the animal’s wellbeing, he is willing to deliver him to anywhere within England, Scotland or Wales if he can find a suitable home. He’s previously had crystals in his bladder, and is now on a Hills diet, but he is currently fully healthy and will be delivered with a supply of the food that he is eating. He is a beautiful 2.5 years old, and stunning to look at – in fact if were not for my houserabbits I’d take him myself.

Here’s a couple of pictures of him

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag157/Ripley2011/IMG_7732_zps0084d5e4.jpg

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag157/Ripley2011/DSC_2608_zpsc9f76340.jpg

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag157/Ripley2011/DSC_2731_zps8b21a7c6.jpg

He has had some issues with finding the litter tray recently, but that is probably due to association with weeing and treatment, so a new home will likely be a good start on helping with that.

Can anyone help him out?

Please post here if you can, and when I find him online I’ll put you in contact.

That’s what I typed on the “Bradford Cat Watch Rescue Kittens” page – it’s run by a lovely lady who always wants to help, she’s got loads of experience and several helpers all of whom may know someone. Also the page is used by quite a few people, so it might appear in from of them, or if anyone visits the group page.

I have no idea if it’ll help, but let’s hope so.

Subscriber

I’m so chuffed with that thank you. Really, really good of you.

Edit: Your email isn’t in profile so drop me an email and I’ll pass you my number in case of responses. Thanks again, I really appreciate help even if nothing comes of it.

Viewing 23 posts - 46 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Cat advice.’ is closed to new replies.