Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Casual shoe/trainer advice
  • monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Ok you lot of fashionistas, casual shoe/Trainer advice sought. Under £50, size 9……what you all wearing

binners

Do you not know the rules? Your taste in trainers is suspended in aspic when you hit 18. Whatever you are wearing then you must wear for the rest of your life

This is why most ‘gentlemen of a certain age’ all what Adidas Gazelles and Samba’s

In my case I own a large amount of different coloured New Balance 574’s (I’ve a blue and grey pair on at the moment). I have recently slightly diversified though with the addition of some equally old school Diadora Camaro’s for a change.

You can never have too many trainers…

oldtennisshoes

Adidads or Dadidas – I’m never sure which.

sharkattack

Whatever New Balance is in the sale at Schuh. I work in an office but commute on foot so need something comfortable that doesn’t like a prop from a sci-fi movie like most trainers do now.

binners

Whatever New Balance is in the sale at Schuh.

It’s worth getting on the New Balance mailing list. They have regular stock clearouts on the website where you can pick up some real bargains

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

@ Binners LOL. I met the daughter recently for lunch wearing (what I thought) were my cool trainers.
    She said ” You look like your dad in those!!” He’s 82.
    I’ll have a look at the NB stuff.

doris5000

Under £50?

Trawl the sales?

Anyway yeah I would go New Balance or Asics – both do a decent range of ‘normal’ish looking trainers. They also do some ludicrous ones too, but so do all the others. I’ve got 2 pairs of Asics GT-II and they’re very comfy and fairly low-key.

I do like a nice low Adidas too – like the Hamburg or Samba, but they’re not very cushioned, and not that always that comfy if you’re going to be doing a lot of walking.

Futureboy77

New Balance, Saucony or Karhu for me.

sharkattack

I should add that I had to abandon my self imposed £50 limit a few years ago. Everything is just too expensive for that these days. Stuff only gets heavy reductions in a sale when there’s only size 6 and 14 left in stock.

cheekyget
    Free Member

Only trainers worth getting is adidas gazelle….maybe its my age…but worn 5hese since my kidulthood

Klunk
    Free Member

oxford canvas trainers

jeffl

New Balance here. They even so some suitable for vegans now, which is nice.

sc-xc

I’ve moved from Samba/gazelle to Stan Smiths…

jamiemcf

Vivo, altra and Lems currently

funkmasterp

You’re not getting any Vivo footwear for £50. Skate shoes from DC, Zoo York, Reef, Etnes or Vans? Whatever you can find in TK Maxx that looks good, then realise they’re in every size apart from yours!

schrickvr6
    Free Member

New Balance or Saucony, mostly.

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

Scarpa Crux, not £50 but lasted 3x longer than my last pair of actual trainers (Merrell)

frankconway

Reiss outlet – black tumbled leather; £145 down to £55.

lunge

Nike Air Max 90’s or Dunks. Not under £50 but there we go.
    What you really want are NikeCraft GPS’s, but they’re almost impossible to find.

chewkw
    Free Member

TK Maxx has some ones at the moment.

ceept

We’ve got a vans outlet nearby. I don’t usually pay more than about £30 for a pair.
    For winter/mucky days, GO have Merrell’s for about £50 now & again.

didnthurt

Not quite within budget but I’d get a pair of these. They’re subtle and could be used on the bike also

Sleuth DLX

Rubber_Buccaneer

Ok you lot of fashionistas

You do realise you are on the Singletrack forum?

STW forum posters footwear advice

theotherjonv

Puma suede. Timeless classic like the Gazelle, but fit my feet better

fingerbang
    Free Member

Seems like New Balance is de rigueur for the STW ists

I just tend to go on sportshoes.com now as I get permanant 10% discount from athletic club membership so save £££’s over the year, get a ‘sports’ trainer that looks casual so at least it’s better made than a flimsy high st job

I just realised I’m advocating for ‘practical’ footwear, I’ll be buying shoes out of the daily mail magazine supplement next

sharkattack

I’d advise against those Five Ten Sleuths. I got the black suede ones which look nice but the soles wore out so fast just from walking around in them. I should have saved them just for riding. After a couple of months the soles are so thin they’re good for nothing.

Are the people wearing Gazelles pairing them with Fred Perry shirts and Stone Island coats?

stanfree
    Free Member

For years just bought the usual Adidas Hamburgs /Forest Hills or Spezials. Im 51 and realised they are really not that comfy in all honesty. Now buy Diadora runners or ZX600’s as they are atleast comfy on longer days. Also bought a pair of Adidas terrex Sky chasers as they are well cushioned and totally waterproof for hill climbing and also not bad on the bike.
    Always wait for the massive discounts near the end of the sales. If you subscribe to mansavings you can normally pick up some bargains.

patagonian
    Free Member

No idea on price range but I’m staggered at the market share Skechers seem to have obtained in the UK. Some of the big name players must be feeling the the impact of that.

a11y

New Balance 327s. You’ll need to shop around for sub-£50 but perfectly possible. My last pairs were £55 new and £38 very lightly used on eBay. Mega comfy and apparently fairly trendy/cool

ton

cheap Etnies Jameson here. comfy. good for pub biking.

Kryton57

You can’t beat an ex wannabe B Boy pair of Adidas Superstars for cool dad appeal… in my head anyway.

RustyNissanPrairie

Vans old skool lows in leather /suede. Usually from TKMaxx online so I don’t have to mingle with the great unwashed.

sing1etrack

If you’re OK with not wearing adidas/puma/NB/another trainer brand then these Decathlons are great, I’ve been wearing mine all summer for pretty much everything, they’re good quality, comfortable and look decent in an outdoorsy way rather than a height of fashion way. I’m normally a 9, i went 9.5 in these and they’re spot on. I had their predecessors too which while looking a bit tired now are proving to be borderline indestructible!

binners

No idea on price range but I’m staggered at the market share Skechers seem to have obtained in the UK. Some of the big name players must be feeling the the impact of that

Different demographic though. A few years ago I was designing advertising for a certain large online retailer who really pushed the Sketchers and sold literally thousands and thousands and thousands of them. They also sell garden furniture and sponsor daytime TV programmes.

I’m presently designing stuff for a certain large sportswear retailer (no, not that one) and I know for sure that at no point will I be seeing a pair of Sketchers, but i will be seeing a lot of Air Jordan’s, Vans, Adidas Forums and New Balance 327’s

I’d say the crossover between those two target markets is absolutely zero – at least until those presently wearing Jordan’s have retired 😂

Del

Scrap that budget and go with Scarpa’s as scruffy above. 5 years of of the last pair and only got new ones when I realised the sole was worn so thin I was getting in to the cushioning. Worn almost daily.

PMK2060

New Balance 373 or Adidas Spezials / Munchen here.

@sharkattack
    – I don’t wear Stone Island, but those that do rarely wear Gazelles or Fred Perry.

sc-xc

@sharkattack – I don’t wear Stone Island, but those that do rarely wear Gazelles or Fred Perry.

Have you been to a match recently? Gazelles and Stone Island are pretty ubiquitous, Fred Perry a slightly older demographic but gazelles (and spezials) are worn by most of the Stoney crew along with Burberry scarfs & caps.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Have a look at the Rieker Antistress Shoe – It’s a shame you’re not a size 10 because I’ve got a pair for sale they’re too wide for me and I bought them brand-new in haste

RustySpanner

Superstar.
    If they’re good enough for Jam Master Jay, they’re good enough for you.

Nike are for Americans, prisoners and young people.
    Puma are for losers.
    Reebok are worn by burglars and MDMA casualties.
    New Balance are a middle class affectation, but look nice when using a Pizza Oven.

So, Adidas…..
    Superstar are about the pick of the bunch although Stan Smith are acceptable in an emergency.
    Samba/Gazelle/Diadora Borg Elite only if you’ve ever jibbed a Football Special.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.