Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Castelli gabba short sleeve
  • OmarLittle
    Free Member

Had intended to get the long sleeve one for my dads christmas but it seems to be sold out in the yellow that i was wanting…does anyone have experience of the short sleeve version? What sort of temperature range / weather is it suitable for – is it for example comparable to a Gore Phantom with the sleeves removed?

monkfish
    Free Member

I’ve got the SS version and I was debating whether I needed the long or short sleeve. Ultimatley I think the SS is more flexible.

So far this year the lowest temp I’ve been out in is 3-4 degrees. I’ve worn a long sleeve Endura baselayer and nanoflex arm warmers and its plenty warm enough. For sub zero I’m toying with the Espresso Jacket but I think the Gabba will cover 90% of my requirements so I may wait and see how it fares when it gets really nasty.

Highly Recommended

oh and size up.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Bit OT but Ive been looking at these too and decided SS with arm warmers is the way to go. However, monkfish you say size up, is this for length or, ahem, girth? Im pretty skinny but tall with it and often find jerseys ride up yet fit me everywhere else. I dont want to end up with a baggy top!

If it helps Im 6’2 and about 75kg/30-32″ waist

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Sounds good. May end up getting one for myself too 😀

Is the sizing similar to their jersey sizing?

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Very good, and for it’s intended use much better as a ss than a ls, but it’s definitely not a winter jacket and not suitable for sub 0 degrees. I wouldn’t wear mine sub 5 or 6 I reckon.

eddie11
    Free Member

size up in every direction. IME experience castelli are a bit smaller than UK sizing but the gabba ss is definately a full size smaller.

Its a lovely thing, even in fluro yellow. I’ve tried them on repeatedly in shops but can’t justify it.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Went for the SS with arm warmer option here too, very happy with it 🙂

Regarding sizing, Castelli are a little on the small size but it’s meant to be a tight fit and if you are not racer shaped you may struggle!

scaled
    Free Member

To give you an idea on castelli sizing, I’m 6’2, 30″ waist and about 11 stone 10. I need large in both bibshorts and tops.

The tops are a bit of a pain as the medium fits round my middle but the shoulders aren’t wide enough!

DanW
    Free Member

Very good, and for it’s intended use much better as a ss than a ls, but it’s definitely not a winter jacket and not suitable for sub 0 degrees.

I’d be inclined to agree with this. How happy you are with the Gabba depends on your expectations. It is designed to be a tight fitting outer layer for roadies generally not that bothered about getting wet but wanting to keep the worst off in race conditions.

Castelli are quite clear about it being a Windstop and water repellent jersey for racing in cool and damp (10-18 degress C) conditions

If it is mild and damp it will keep road spray and light drizzle off but it isn’t a miracle product and certainly won’t replace even a light jacket. The nanoflex panels in particular will let the water in and feel cold pretty quickly. These sections are not windproof and let water in when stretched (same problem with the leg warmers for me). If you are a fair weather rider just wanting light rain/ road spray protection or are a hardcore racer wanting the lightest most breathable outer layer and not too bothered about getting wet then you won’t be disappointed.

For these reasons, where it isn’t perhaps suited as a cold weather jacket for very rainy conditions as a long sleeve jacket it does make complete sense in the short sleeve version to wear with arm warmers in warmer, more changeable conditions.

Basically I’d go SS 😀

Some more reading here and here

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Precisely.

Basically, if it’s a cold day you wear a winter jacket, if it’s wet day you wear a waterproof, if it’s just a little of both and cant really make its mind up, and you’re gonna be pressing on then wear the gabba.

On those ‘just a little cold and a little damp’ days you need your kit to be versatile in case the sun comes out and it suddenly heats up in the afternoon, so being able to pull down some arm warmers to regulate temperature is very useful compared to being stuck with the long sleeved version. I’ve been very thankful about being able to do that.

Hooter
    Free Member

I’ve got the long sleeve version and am very happy in it from about 0 degs to 10 degs whatever the weather with suitable layers underneath. It’s water resistant enough and it breathes very well. Well recommended. I reckon the short sleeve with arm warmers would be great for mixed weather autumn and spring days.

adsh
    Free Member

Trying to buy the short sleeve but the XL which I have been in all other Castelli tops was pretty humungous ax the shoulders and neck. I’m a scrawny 40″ chested 6′
    Anyways looking forward to it as I generally get too hot and really like nanoflex armwarmers which luckily sow up quite well….. 😕

nano
    Free Member

I’ve got a LS version. It’s nice enough; seems to keep me warm (ish)around the torso even when wet, but don’t think much of its water repellent qualities even in light rain.

Always wear a base layer with it and wouldn’t say it’s as good as my Endura stealth for either water or wind proofing.

Conclusion – i’m probably not ‘pro’ enough to get the best out of a Gabba 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

Times I find it ideal is for rides of about a couple of hours where you want to push on a bit and the weather is a bit cold and a bit changeable. So not enough to bother with a baggier jacket or cape, but you want something that’s going to keep you reasonably comfortable in showers.

I’m probably making it sound quite limited but it’s not. It’s the bit of kit I wear when I can’t decide what to wear!

scuttler

Did someone say Gabba?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UZqnydWxEA[/video]

jond
    Free Member

>Basically, if it’s a cold day you wear a winter jacket

Rather depends on how hot you run, how hard you’re working, and what you’re wearing underneath. In slushy/near freezing conditions a winter or two ago I was fine in short sleeve gabba + nanoflex warmers/shorts – actually a bit hot ‘cos I was late for a lunch and hurrying 😉 – but I was wearing a pretty thick Northwave SS thermal http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/northwave-body-fit-short-sleeve-jersey/rp-prod85356 (eek, didn’t pay that for it !)

Wore the same thing last w/e – at mebbe 8-9 degrees – on a easier-going moving ave road ride of about 14 mph, expecting to be a bit hot, and I was fine, with occasional jersey unzipping to regulate heat.

Re sizing – I’ve got the large, and I’m about 5’9, 39″ chest, 32ish waist – in castelli sizing: med shorts, large jersey.

I *might* also run a little hotter than some ‘cos I’m one of those funny people riding a recumbent, so my back doesn’t get much windchill.

dharmstrong
    Free Member

On the sizing front the gabba fits like the castelli aero jersey, so slightly tighter than their “normal” fit.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Just a wee update on this – ended up getting myself one as well and i have to say ive been very impressed so far.

Have worn it with arm warmers in temperatures ranging from 2 to 10 degrees with a long sleeve base layer. Its been really good – not bulky so no flapping about and although its a bit cool if standing about it is just right when riding and doesnt get too hot when climbing.

Good for a bit of rain and showers – if it was going to be raining the whole ride then i’d go with a waterproof instead. Also it could do with a zip pocket for phone / keys.

Anyway for once the hype about a product seems to be worth it!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Castelli gabba short sleeve’ is closed to new replies.