Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cassettes, XT770 vs Sram990 vs?
  • midlifecrashes

New chain and cassette time, the above two are similar price online £40-£44, is the SRAM better in some way than XT? It’s RRP is a fair bit higher. Probably going to go with a KMC X9L chain for silvery shiny ease of cleaning.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Virtually no difference. Shimano may be a tad smoother shifting and may last a tad longer IMO, but that’s more of a gut feeling than anything I can really quanitfy 🙂

Northwind

SRAM comes with a pretty coloured spider that you can’t really see…

mboy
    Free Member

Shimano definitely lasts longer. Ignore the RRP on the SRAM, it’s very misleading.

And there’s next to naff all in it weight wise either, couple of grammes either way perhaps.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Just go for the cheaper?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Had this choice myself only two weeks ago. I couldn’t find anything to really separate the two so opted for XT as the guaranteed to be fine option. As said ignore RRP, it’s what you are paying that’s important not some hypothetical RRP.

Northwind

Seem to have migrated onto using SLX myself, good price saving for not an awful lot of weight, and you can swap over the lockring to close the gap a bit. Performance is identical other than the extra weight.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Good point, weight was near as damit the same as the SLX cassette I took off. No idea how much cheaper an SLX cassette would be though.

fivespot
    Free Member

Iv’e got a near mint XT 11-32 9spd cassette that I am just about to put on the classifieds. Its from my spare wheel that has seen very few miles.
    £25 posted 1st class recorded 8)

epo-aholic
    Free Member

Sram is prettier and i think a few grammes lighter but from my experience xt lasts a good bit better. Most of my kit is xtr but i always buy xt cassetes for this reason.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cassettes, XT770 vs Sram990 vs?’ is closed to new replies.