Cassettes and drive chain wear

Home Forum Bike Forum Cassettes and drive chain wear

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cassettes and drive chain wear
  • patriotpro

Gears jumping/slipping even though the mech was correctly adjusted is what made my mind up.

emmodd

I think i’m good from that point of view then. I’ll not replace just yet – ta!

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber
    Keva

here’s and old 32t chain ring of mine and the new one to replace it. It wouldn’t pedal in any gear….

brakes

Keva, I had a puncture on my commuter so road a different bike in this morning which has a chainring like that, but with 5/6 teeth snapped as well. pulling away from traffic lights was horrible as I was constantly slipping… 😡

I find it annoying that I wear the 13, 15 and 17 tooth cogs on my 11-34 cassettes first and all the others are fine but I have to buy a whole new cassette rather than just replacing those cogs.
    should I buy a bigger chainring for the front so that I can get use out of the 20-30 cogs?

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

Glad I’m not the only one that takes those odd photos:

emmodd

Simple question but how do you know when your cassette is worn? Just bought a new chain and single chainring to go back to 1×10 and just wondering how everyone knows when to replace their cassettes. I’m a bit of a serial chain replacer so am certain I never go beyond 1%. Looking at my cassette all looks good but how can I be more certain?

brakes

do you keep them though?
    I can’t bring myself to get rid.

(and no I won’t be making them into a wind chime)

Keva

brakes, most people seem to wear out those last few gears on the cassette first, I’m the same. on my 1×9 I did swap the 32t for a 36t as I found 32t too spinny and I was at the bottom of the cassette most of the time. With the 36t I get much better use from all the cassette whilst off road riding but when on the road I’m still always on those last 3 gears…

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

Proving yet again that one man’s worn out, is another’s good value for money… 😀

brakes

With the 36t I get much better use from all the cassette whilst off road riding but when on the road I’m still always on those last 3 gears…

snap. I use a 36 too on a 1×9. most rides I do involve a 13 mile round trip to the station on the road so I guess that’s why the small gears are wearing out. I don’t want to go any bigger than 36. I guess the answer is going 2×9 but that would be more expensive than just replacing the cassette.

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

do you keep them though?

Of course – just in case any hard-up German ninjas pass by:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmeMS2Jm8GY[/video]

micky

Measure your chain op. Over 12″ will measure rivit centre to rivit centre on a new chain. If the chain has extended 1/8″ or more over 12″ then you will be wearing your cassette and chainrings. Personally I change chains when they get to 1/16th” just to be sure. I have never worn out a cassette. I’ve had up to 4 chains on a cassette that was still fine. I normally end up changing bikes after a couple of years so can’t tell how long you could make a cassette last really long term using this method.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cassettes and drive chain wear’ is closed to new replies.