Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Cassettes (again) Ztto v sunrace v ??
  • Yak

I need to replace a 11speed xd 10-42 gx cassette.
    As expected sram are unavailable anywhere. So I need to delve into the world of other stuff. I have had sunrace before but can’t find their xd cassette in stock anywhere. So those ztto ones on ali express. Any good?? Or a world of substandard shifting nonsense? Or anything else I should look at?
    Cheers.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve accumulated a couple of ZTTO parts over the years – headset, dropper lever, rear mech alignment tool, brake adaptor.

Its all been of perfectly good, but not premium quality.

Personally I’d be taking a punt on the cassette based on the other things I’ve had.

Yak

Ok, thanks. Via ali express?

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

I’m running a 11 speed ZTTO cassette from aliexpress, it’s only a couple of rides in but works fine, shifts up and down ok and it sits on a pretty red spider which is a nice touch and cheap as chips £25-ish delivered

chakaping
    Free Member

Would be interested to try to ZTTO one.

The Sunrace 10-46t cassettes are very good and have lasted me well – but have the typical Sunrace milk-bottle-top-grade lockring (silly soft threads).

Which is a bit annoying because they are a smaller diameter than standard HG, so I can’t just swap in a spare lockring like I did for my HG Sunrace cassette.

Yak

Yeah, thinking I will try the ztto. I have spotted an e-thirteen helix but that is £££s more, but I think you are paying for a detachable 46t and the branding etc.

Rickos
    Free Member

I’ve got the ZTTO 10-46 XD cassette on my bike. Very light, 9-46 teeth, use it with XT shifter and SLX mech. All works fine, although the cassette isn’t quite as cleanly machined as a SRAM XD cassette. Done [checks Strava] 108 miles on it so far and although it doesn’t quite feel as nice as a SRAM, it’ll do just fine. The margins between the two are slim enough not to be bothered, put it that way, plus you get a 46 granny gear over a 42.

I ordered direct with ZTTO through Ali Express – took 10 days from order to delivery.

EDIT – I use a SRAM chain.

chakaping
    Free Member

They appear to be more than $100 USD on there Rickos, is that what you paid?

Yak

@Rickos – sounds good. Just ordered the same.

Just under £100 with vat. So cheaper than a gx cassette, bigger range and lighter. (what did Bontrager say again…. )

Rickos
    Free Member

Chakaping – yes, it was £109 with all the taxes and postage and that. But look how light it is! 😬

You must have got a better exchange rate, Yak. Well done.

branes

I’ve got an 11-50 11sp ZTTO, https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32901149094.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dRg9MWI

For various reasons I haven’t used it much, so can’t comment on the longevity, but it shifted fine. Not great, but OK with a standard 11sp XT mech.

I’d get another.

Yak

Hmmm, seems quite a difference.
    I didn’t go for the oil slick finish though as i noticed that added a bit of cost.

chakaping
    Free Member

Cheers, about the same as the Sunrace (when in stock) then.

I’ve got a spare one of them anyway so I’ll hold off. It’d be good to get some longer term reports on the ZTTO though.

Yak

I’ll post up on durability soon. It’s for my wife’s bike that sees a lot of training miles so if anything wears too quickly we will spot it.

gilesmartin81

I got a Microshift wide range cassette 11-48 from Tredz this week. with the standard £5 discount it was £29.99 and arrived in a couple of days free postage.

I have done a couple of rides and it is great.

trusty

Deporvillage have the 1150 GX cassette in stock. I think they’re the only place!

steve_b77
    Free Member

To be fair for the money you can’t really go wrong, also a good way of looking at it is it’s not like buying Chinese carbon bars, if a cassette fails you’re not exactly likely to smash your face into the ground.

FWIW Matt Jones uses one on one of his bikes, maybe worth checking out his blog

teamslug

I’ve been running 2 oil slick 11 speed 11-46 slr2 cassettes for a while now. Very light and shift is ok. Probably about 300 miles on one and 150 on other. Both seem to be holding up, not run thru winter so can’t comment on that, I swap out for sunrace or sram gx for winter. Might not be quite as slick the big 2 but is as good as the sunrace cassettes they replaced. I ordered 2 more from Ali express the other day. The 11 speed seems to have come down in price (£60 each from Ztto official store) so I thought I would get a couple more. Gone for silver this time. Should have them by 29 June.

wzzzz
    Free Member

I was put off ztto cassettes by the long term reviews on YouTube.

Apparently they drop the chain when backpedaling.

Now I don’t go round back pedalling but they drop the chain in less than quarter of a crank turn.

Sometimes on slow tech you need to e.g. get your feet in the right place or push into a little wheelie.

cnud
    Free Member

On my bike XT 11 speed cassettes drop the chain if you back pedal, Sram GX don’t. It’s not really a problem so I run either

Rickos
    Free Member

I’ve not had a backpedal problem at all on the ZTTO. The old GX 12 speed on the other hand was a nightmare, but I think that was more the fault of the NX rear mech.

Yak

Well the ztto 11s cassette has been running on my wife’s bike for a bit with an xt shifter and xt rear mech. I had to fit a sunrace mech extender to get the clearance for the mech. Shifting over most of the cassette is quite good. Not quite as good as on the gx cassette, but not bad.

The problem is with the 9t sprocket. There just isn’t enough spring tension left (none really) on the mech to push it down onto the 9t reliably. If you hit a helpful bump when shifting then you are good, but mostly it just won’t get there, despite the b-tension being optimum for the other end of the cassette. I tried different lengths chain too to vary the guide jockey wheel position, but still not good enough for a decent shift into the 9t.

I will try it with an old xo 11sp mech to see it that’s any better. Anyone else have this problem and got it to work well?

Hmmm also thinking that sram must have not bothered with 9t for a reason when clearly they could have made a 9t instead of 10t…..

Rickos
    Free Member

I’m running XT shifter and SLX mech with SRAM chain on mine. The SLX mech is said not to go down to 9, but Marin specced an E13 cassette on their Alpine Trail 7 last year, so it should work. I very rarely drop down to the 9 cog, but I’m pretty sure it works. I’ve got quite a long chain on mine due to high forward pivot point and the mech seems to almost loop right back on itself in the 9 speed, similar to how a 12 speed SRAM setup looks in the bottom (top?) gear.

Yak

Hmmm. Interesting. Yeah tried a max length chain too as well as short as possible. Did you need a mech extender or goatlink?

butcher

I’ve done a fair few miles on my ZTT0 9-50 now, using their chain and a sram Eagle GX mech. Shifting is not perfect, but it’s tolerable, and the bike has been dropped and crashed a fair few times so I couldn’t guarantee the hanger is straight. I’m quite happy with it so far. Moves onto the 9 just fine, if not a bit slow. Main issue with shifting is that occasionally skips a cog.

Rickos
    Free Member

Did you need a mech extender or goatlink?

No, just straight onto the normal mech hanger of my 2018 Orange Five.

Yak

Ok. I couldn’t achieve that. The sunrace extender might have pushed the mech too far back to be good for the 9t then.

pampmyride
    Free Member

I’ve got 2 ZTTO cassettes. The cheapo budget one drops the chain back pedaling, but only in first gear. The posher pricey one does not – no issues at all. ZTTO said it’s too expensive to machine the budget ones to the higher standard.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.