Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Cassette removal advice (retro wheel)
  • SilentSparky
    Free Member

Got myself an late 80’s Raleigh race 653 bike recently, I think there’s a problem with the freehub, but to get to it I need to remove the cassette, any idea on what tool I’d need to remove this:

Or a way of bodging it off.

wwaswas

there is no cassette, I think, it’s a freehub so it’s a single unit freehub and (from a quick google) it’s possible that the sprockets just screw onto it.

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67063

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Yeah, looks like a freewheel. By the power of Google…

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=150112

Sorry, can’t see the picture but from that era it will probably be screw on freewheel, with sprockets attached to the freewheel.

Don’t bother trying to remove sprockets, you need to unscrew the complete freewheel unit. There will be little lugs or something at the end. You need the right tool and a big spanner.

Once off you can clean and regrease the freewheel using the method of your choice. I always found a paraffin bath and some 3 in 1 worked wonders.

If that doesn’t work look for a new screw on freewheel. I imagine you can still but them.

onewheelgood

There used to be a huge number of different freewheel pullers. Just prior to the introduction of the cassette, they mostly standardised on the Shimano design. Yours will either be Shimano or the earlier Regina pattern, which I think are still available.
    PS. If anyone has an old TDC freewheel puller they could lend/sell me, I’d be really interested to hear about it.

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies, levered the cap off and it looks like I need Park Tool FR-4 to remove the freewheel.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Cassette removal advice (retro wheel)’ is closed to new replies.