Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 281 total)
  • Cash is dying out – views?
  • jamiemcf

How do you 100% cashless people transfer your shopping from supermarket to car boot?

Generally in reuseable bags by hand

franksinatra

I suppose i see it as aprt and parcel of the demise of the high street

I don’t get that. I’m far more likely to make an impulse purchase on my high street if I can just tap my watch to pay for it.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

How do you 100% cashless people transfer your shopping from supermarket to car boot?

Servants.

lunge

I haven’t noticed any dealers with a SumUp machine, but maybe that’s just because I don’t have a dealer.

Joking aside, this is a rather large part of the black economy and whilst I suspect recreational drug use is down at the moment I suspect it’ll rocket again post-Covid. Be interesting to see how such deals are done if we do approach cash-less.

stumpyjon

100% for it – every time you use cash your paying for it.

Cash handling is a pain for many businesses and also attracts charges from the banks to deposit. Bank’s gonna get you either way.

franksinatra

The man carries it from the van to my door. Sometimes, if we have an extra large order of wine, he uses a sack barrow to wheel it down the driveway.

monkeyboyjc

Not questioning your version, just genuinely curious. Do you not have costs associated with cash handling as well? Time spent counting, travel to bank, fraud etc. Not suggesting these offset the card charges completely but they must count for something?

FWIW I wouldn’t notice a 2.5% increase in price on anything, appreciate this isn’t the same for everyone but I would happily pay that for convivence of not having to use cash.

Essentially we have the bank on site as we have a PO, I also make a very small commission each time I bank the days takings. Time spent banking is around 30secs and I get paid for it.

Regards fraud ive had one fake note in 6years trading. So £20, I’ve not had any charge backs on the card machine, but it’s actually easier to reverse a card transaction than make a fake note. We have insurance for this also, which we have to pay for. So regards fraud – cards are more expensive.

Thing is regards the 2.5% it comes off my margins, and when as a grocery store you make around a 20% margin on lots of goods reducing that to 17.5% with a card transaction over cash adds up to quite a significant amount.

That £1500 pa in the past would have been spent on improving the buisness, so new / additional stock, better fridges etc. Now it’s just going in the pocket of the bank to invest somewhere off shore I expect.

There is a big drive for ‘shop local’ or ‘shop British’ but there should also be a pay with cash drive….

Cash handling is a pain for many businesses and also attracts charges from the banks to deposit. Bank’s gonna get you either way.

Cash heavy buisness need to look for a bank AC that don’t charge for high volumes of deposits. My bank charges are way way less than my epos machine.

jamiemcf

I’m far more likely to make an impulse purchase on my high street if I can just tap my watch to pay for it.

Agree 100%, maybe i’m linking two things that aren’t necessarily linked.

P-Jay
    Free Member

But we’re about to enter the biggest recession this country has ever seen

let’s see how those predictions of our move to a cashless society are looking in twelve months time once the real economy has re-opened, there’s mass unemployment and everyone is skint

Cash is about to make a bigger comeback than vinyl

KPMG and PWC both forecasting a 5%-7% rise in GDP in 2021 taking us back to pre-covid economic levels by the end of the year, DESPITE Brexit, 2022 expected to see a smaller, but still sustained growth as the Political and ideological BS of Brexit eases and the more pragmatic business of trade takes over.

The biggest recession in 300 years happened this year, unless like most recessions before, we actually borrowed/spent through it and continue to do so. It’s not perfect, far from, would a Labour government do a better job for the ‘average man or women’ probably, but this recovery won’t be like the 70s / 80s, it won’t even be like the 2010s.

This year is going to be a rough ride for a lot of people, mostly because of changing markets and tastes as much as economic doom but “biggest recession this country has ever seen” it won’t be.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m far more likely to make an impulse purchase on my high street if I can just tap my watch to pay for it.

I’d wager if you’re the type of person to spend £400 on a watch that will be obsolete in 24 months, you’re the type of person who enjoys an impulse purchase and is lucky enough to have the disposable income to go with it 😉

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I was of the generation where, on your way out of a evening (Remember when you could go out….) you would stop at the cash machine on your way into town, withdraw what you needed/decided to spend/could afford to spend for that night, then went to the pub/clubs.
    At some point in the night, you’d go for the next round of drinks, discover you had run out of money, and then think oh well, and stay until you had enough of being there…. and go.

Then you’d wake up in the morning, and find about £24 in coins in your pocket 😉

Then clubs started taking cards… that messed you over, as you’d then keep drinking past when you should/could really afford….

good times 🙂

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

whilst I suspect recreational drug use is down at the moment

thank you for the biggest lol of the thread so far

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

oh those covid conspirators, going on about vacines with microchips in.
    Bill gates of all people :0)

my location, heart rate, spend, social media, tv watch, shopping habits is all tracked already.
    by phones, health apps, banks, credit card companies and the 3A’s amazon, android, apple

wouldnt surprise me if these companies started taking out the banks in the next decade to gain more and more Data > information > knowledge

binners

KPMG and PWC both forecasting a 5%-7% rise in GDP in 2021 taking us back to pre-covid economic levels by the end of the year, DESPITE Brexit

They can predict whatever they like…

I doubt many people in the real world are basing life choices on predictions from KPMG

There’s going to be mass unemployment when furlough ends – a lot of people are already unemployed, they just don’t know it yet – and that’s going to kiss goodbye to any ‘cashless society’ nonsense.

The post furlough economy is going to be one Sam Allardyce would (allegedly) easily recognise 😉

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

if we have an extra large order of wine, he uses a sack barrow to wheel it down the driveway.

thin layer of lemon curd

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

A 5-7% raise in GDP from what… last year when half the country was shut for half the year?
    wouldn’t be hard….
    To pre-covid levels that had been massively surpressed by the economic crash a decade a go, and then when starting to get back to normal, hit by the brexit depression….

Admittedly, Ive not gone and found the actual reading on it, but in that context…. not exactly on the edge of my seat for things to get suddenly better for the common man(person)

Reflected in increased costs for nearly everything due to importing even if its only raw materials being harder more costly….

monkeyboyjc

There’s going to be mass unemployment when furlough ends – a lot of people are already unemployed, they just don’t know it yet – and that’s going to kiss goodbye to any ‘cashless society’ nonsense.

The post furlough economy is going to be one Sam Allardyce would (allegedly) easily recognise 😉

In my very small village community, of the three or four people I know who were made redundant in the first lock down, two are now self employed and predominantly paid in cash by local land owners. There is going to be alot more of this……

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if there will be an economic boom, but who will be making the money? It won’t be the thousands of little guys who were made redundant. Opportunities will be there (and are there now, if you know a Tory mp), but it’ll be the ones financially unaffected by the pandemic that will benefit.

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

Ive noticed quite a few local takeaways / chip shops have gone to cash only now.

the-muffin-man

Yep – it’s amazing how often our local Chinese takeaways card machine is ‘out of order’! 🙂

lunge

t

whilst I suspect recreational drug use is down at the moment

thank you for the biggest lol of the thread so far

You reckon?
    I’d be suprised if weed was down, but coke and pills?
    I can only talk about my slightly extended work and friend group, but of those that dabble they only do wo when they’re out, not likely to have a line at home.

zilog6128

Yep, as above, all 3 different local chip shops I’ve used since Covid have been cash only (I think one has ALWAYS been cash only but can’t 100% remember). Indian/Chinese etc you can pay online via Just Eat or whatever, wouldn’t surprise me if you turned up to order though they’d be cash only or card machine “broken”!

monkeyboyjc

Just worked out that if I could convince people to use our PO cash withdrawal service to pay for goods rather than contactless, my shop would increase its GAT by 5%.

Regards chip shops the local one I use has only just got a card machine for the opposite reason, people weren’t using them as they were cash only – worries of Covid and nearest cash machine a 100yrd walk away next to the competition (who already have a card machine)

Northwind

I’m definitely spending it less- even in shops. But I’m getting it more, since I’ve been selling off a lot of stuff and that’s still probably 95% cash. I think once “paying money to another person” becomes decashified that’ll be the second last big hurdle, with “paying for stuff you don’t want the government to know about” the last and biggest of all.

toby1

barclays app lets you just take a photo of a cheque to pay in now.

I hoped hsbc would do too, but not via their mobile app at least.

monkeyboyjc

barclays app lets you just take a photo of a cheque to pay in now.

I hoped hsbc would do too, but not via their mobile app at least

Take the cheque and paying in slip to the post office, they will post it to the bank for free. Alternatively phone your bank and ask for the direct send envelopes for cheques and post it to them (you’ll need a stamp though)

brads
    Free Member

Cash is actually a pain for some retailers.
    I just bought a van today for my lad, negotiated a “cash” deal and got over a grand off lol but then the guy wanted bank transfer as it costs him to deposit cash.
    He pays his taxes so cash is a bloody pest as far as he is concerned.

5lab

the cost of card payments is small, and probably could be less for some people taking them on here. A quick google found

https://www.cardswitcher.co.uk/cheapest-merchant-services-for-small-businesses/

a max of 1.25% of the transaction cost for first data, card readers available for £20..

GrahamS

I remember about a decade ago a mine went to Japan on business whilst working for NCR (the cash machine people) and he noted that they didn’t use cash for anything. They didn’t even use cards much. Almost everything was paid for by phone.

That was the first time I started paying attention to the idea of “electronic wallets” etc.

Cash is definitely dying in the UK, but it will be a slow death.

(And slower in the US where they don’t trust contactless cards, or even chip and pin!)

Greybeard
    Free Member

Interesting that in the UK, lower use of cash is seen as socially exclusive because not everybody has a bank account. In Sweden, the cashless society is actively promoted. It shows how far behind the UK is in terms of social equity.

zilog6128

@brads in this context (and most others unless you are actually buying off someone dodgy) “cash” just means “not credit/finance”. I think you just paid the regular price tbh, sorry 😀

monkeyboyjc

the cost of card payments is small, and probably could be less for some people taking them on here. A quick google found

Any card machine will always cost my buisness more than cash. Like I said earlier when you deal with 20% margins, a 1.25% fee is a big hit.

Imagine if every transaction, large and small, in every shop, buy every vendor was by card with a 1.25% fee that’s millions/billions a year going to the banks in fees….

reluctantjumper

Really interesting to read a lot of the replies, from all perspectives. There’s definitely differing opinions depending on where you live etc. Keep them coming!

Personally I used to use cash as much as possible, helped with budgeting as well as doing my part to stay in a job! This last year though I’ve gone full Google Pay/contactless wherever I can, the advent of apps that track what you spend and where plus banking apps has made it so easy to track your spending. I know that cash circulation was down over 60% during the first lockdown, understandable as shop were mostly shut but even supermarkets, where most cash passes through, were noticing a big drop in how much was being used in certain areas. Deprived/poor areas had less of a drop but big towns and cities were having a marked decline almost overnight. From what my former colleagues say it hasn’t picked back up much over the summer and it’s now taking a hammering with this new set of restrictions. How it pans out over the next year or so is anyone’s guess.

I’d be surprised if weed was down, but coke and pills?
    I can only talk about my slightly extended work and friend group, but of those that dabble they only do wo when they’re out, not likely to have a line at home.

Local druggies are busy round me, especially whoever sells the silver canisters. Got a massive box of them to weigh in when I next go to the recyclers. They pay me direct onto my card BTW, cash for scrap is illegal now.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Joking aside, this is a rather large part of the black economy and whilst I suspect recreational drug use is down at the moment I suspect it’ll rocket again post-Covid. Be interesting to see how such deals are done if we do approach cash-less.

I’ve got a ‘friend’ who buys their weed with bitcoin and it arrives special delivery the next day.

The black market is far more adaptable than the legit.

P-Jay
    Free Member

They can predict whatever they like…

You’ll forgive me if I trust the opinions of the big four Accounting Organisations over an anonymous bloke on the Internet who, the only thing I know about is, likes a Greggs. 😉

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Indeed so.

Not quite so hamstrung by pesky regulation, in some senses.

I did hear that bitcoin was less anonymous than the more recent competition. Your friend might want to research, if he/she/it hasn’t already done so.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

He’s quite partial to monty python too, I hear.

whitestone
    Free Member

All banks and the newer “services” charge commission on each transaction. Just Eat is basically Paypal for takeaways. A lot of effort to set up a payment system and get it right so small takeaways might as well just sign up to someone that’s done the work.

That reminds me – I paid for our last take-away curry with cash, maybe a month or six weeks ago. They are now on Just Eat, don’t know about the Chinese take-away over the road as my wife doesn’t like chinese so it’s only when she’s away that I get to use it!

Most tradesmen round here have their bank details on their cards so it’s just a bank transfer to pay them. I get paid the same way by my customers – current job does pay by cheque though.

For me, moving to a (near) cashless lifestyle has just “happened”. I haven’t expressly sought it out but equally I haven’t resisted it. Pre-Covid I’d take cash, £20 note or so, just in case I had a serious mechanical and needed a taxi home and they didn’t take cards – I had debit card with me as well.

tagnut69
    Free Member

I may be being a little slow but how does being unemployed relate to the need for cash?

monkeyboyjc

Cash in hand work and ‘off the books’ employment, yes it still goes on.

P-Jay
    Free Member

A 5-7% raise in GDP from what… last year when half the country was shut for half the year?
    wouldn’t be hard….
    To pre-covid levels that had been massively surpressed by the economic crash a decade a go, and then when starting to get back to normal, hit by the brexit depression….

Admittedly, Ive not gone and found the actual reading on it, but in that context…. not exactly on the edge of my seat for things to get suddenly better for the common man(person)

Hey, Binners used “recession” I wasn’t going to debate the difference between Recession and Economic Crisis.

GDP fell 11% through 2020, some of that will be ‘deferred’ because of COVID, some will be lost. Looking at the Motor industry, they were 30% down on Volume in 2020, some of that will be fleet purchases that will happen in 2021 now, some will be people holding off until they feel a little safer financially, some of those purchases won’t happen now.

There’s no ‘rule book’ on economic recovery when an economy have be purposely shut down, as it’s never happened before, but the BOE et al, expects a faster rebound than you might expect from say, a Credit Crunch.

As for employment, there’s do doubt it’s been a shit time, but as the rules and value of the furlough scheme has changed the ‘zombie jobs’ (not a term I like, but it’s the one I’ve read) are dying away. There’s not point businesses paying even 20% of a salary to keep someone on who won’t have work to do and there are jobs out there, I know 5-6 people who’ve taken a new job this year.

Of course, I could be wrong, I often am, the BOE could be wrong, KPMG could be wrong etc etc etc. I guess 12 months from now we can look back on this thread and decide who was most right, or least wrong.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 281 total)

The topic ‘Cash is dying out – views?’ is closed to new replies.