Cartridge bearing headsets…what size bearings for a superstar headset

Home Forum Bike Forum Cartridge bearing headsets…what size bearings for a superstar headset

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cartridge bearing headsets…what size bearings for a superstar headset
  • Premier Icon tmb467
    Subscriber

For info superstar say its EC 34/28.6 | EC 34/30 but does that tell me the bearing size?

Premier Icon tmb467
    Subscriber

I’ve got a superstar headset with cartridge bearings installed and there’s a bit of a creak when I rotate the bars to the left

I know the SS bearings are rubbish cos when I took the forks out before, the lower cartridge separated from the inner race. I just greased it up and put it back together but it’s probably died now.

Anyway – does anyone know what size bearings a superstar uno headset takes? Think I remember 36x45x45 but really unsure

Ta

Premier Icon jairaj
    Subscriber

nope that just tells you the headset type.

email superstar they’ll tell what size bearings you need. They were pretty helpfully when I needed to change the bearings in my hubs.

Or just take the bearings out again and they should have the number stamped on them.

andyrm

They’re a licenced bearing so not available from a normal bearing supplier. SS do them on their site for about £7, just pop them open from new and regrease, that should help them last longer 🙂

Premier Icon jairaj
    Subscriber

ah just found this on the headset spares page :

30.2x41x6.5 36×45 degree Angular Contact Bearing

Compatible with all of our headsets (apart from Grande), and Cane Creek compatible headsets.

Go to one of the online bearing shops and type those dimensions in and they should convert it to a bearing number.

Premier Icon jasonm945
    Subscriber

SS bearings are just generic, found in other manufacturers headsets aswell so it’s not the headset or bearings that are “rubbish”.

Superstar do sell bearings for £7.99 though see here

For that you should get some free Haribo’s aswell!

Edit – not quick enough

Premier Icon tmb467
    Subscriber

cheers – missed the ‘headset spares’ page so thanks for that

mattsccm

Please tell me where you find those bearings at a factors. Every place I go to hands me one based on that number but without the chamfer. That’s not an industry standard. It would be great to find otherwise.

Premier Icon tmb467
    Subscriber

i ordered mine from mbbearings.com

enduro bearings, so cost a bit more (17 quid for one instead of 8 quid for a pair off superstar) but tbh, I’m not too bothered on the cost today

simplybearings online was about the same price for the same bearing…not checked anywhere else

these sites do have the chamfered bearing, as does SS (ask for angular contact bearings)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cartridge bearing headsets…what size bearings for a superstar headset’ is closed to new replies.