Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • cartrackworld: white leather seats in a family car?
  • Markie
    Free Member

So, I know the answer is ‘no, don’t be stupid’, but just in case it’s not…

It’s approaching time for a new (to me) car here and I’m looking at Ford Galaxys. The ones with the spec I want keep turning up with white leather interiors. Do they work with a family? An active, muddy, family? No? Thought not.

On the off chance, however, that you think differently, please let me know. I’m open to persuasion!

Thanks!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do they work with a family? An active, muddy, family? No? Thought not.

As in support your backside or retain any resale value?

Markie
    Free Member

Good question!

Comfort-wise I’m sure they’ll be just fine, and it’s not so much resale (I’ll likely have the car 6/7 years at least so the value’ll push down anyhow), more is it possible to keep them looking okay?

The only thing that makes me think maybe they stay looking fine is that why else would it be possible to spec them on what is a functional more than stylish (is white leather stylish?) car. But I don’t really believe it.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Trying to imagine a ford galaxy with white leather.
    Can’t stop imagining Cadillacs. Not sure any other car should have white leather….

bensales
    Free Member

We’ve got white (well, Ivory) leather in the missus’ school run car. It’s actually alright. Leather by its nature is wipe clean whereas fabric isn’t.

As long as you’ve black carpets, you’ll be fine.

csb

No idea about seats but our skoda superb has white headlining and pillars and it makes it much lighter and nicer inside than the black gloom of most cars.

nickdavies

Much better than dingy black, I abused my old car for years with cream leather and it always cleaned up really well with leather shampoo and a conditioner. Mud, oil, food all kinds of stains wiped off.

Much prefer fabric/Alcantara myself but leather is loads easier to keep clean.

tinybits
    Free Member

“We’ve got white (well, Ivory) leather in the missus’ school run car. It’s actually alright. Leather by its nature is wipe clean whereas fabric isn’t.

As long as you’ve black carpets, you’ll be fine.”

This. We had cream leather seats and carpets in a Touareg used as a family car and horse towing vehicle. Seats were fine, carpets looked truely disgusting.

kerley
    Free Member

You should have asked this question in 1985 to get more answers from people who have white leather interiors

sharkbait
    Free Member

Don’t forget that white seats will mean light coloured headlining, door cards, etc – which may well be harder to clean. I had a loan car recently with very light coloured leather seats – looked lovely but I was glad to hand it back after two weeks as I was getting bored with wrapping the dogs in cling film before putting them in the back!

thepurist

I was getting bored with wrapping the dogs in cling film before putting them in the back!

POIDH 😀

wwaswas

I had a 5 series with beige leather seats and interior.

As long as you don’t mind them looking a bit grubby for most of the winter it all cleans up ok.

white leather though, really?

fossy

My car has cream interior, but it’s an alcantara type finish and has been wipe clean (had it all the way through the kids growing up).

The only thing I would say, is be wary of new jeans – they can stain the fabric/leather. It’s a bugger to remove the dye.

A regular wipe down should be fine.

Markie
    Free Member

Thanks all – it seems it’s not quite as clear cut as I thought so I shall have to think on it! 😀

razorrazoo

My car has an Oyster (off white) interior, I wouldn’t have chosen it (I would have preferred black based on keeping clean, it looks nice – the carpets and headliner are black), but did a deal on a cancelled order which meant a compromise. I’ve had it 3 years now with 2 youngish kids. Whilst they have had car seats on the back seats I have used some covers which sit under the car seats which have worked fine (but don’t cover the whole seat which IMHO looks horrible). 30K+ miles on an the seats still look good, I echo the above poster who states the biggest culprit of hard to shift marks are new jeans.

Markie
    Free Member

Mrs Markie is uncertain that I keep a car clean enough for white leather to be in any way an option, but I think I’ve been swayed. FWIW. Thanks!

nickdavies

The only thing I would say, is be wary of new jeans – they can stain the fabric/leather. It’s a bugger to remove the dye.

Best advice on the thread – if you go for it remember this. It’s the one thing you won’t get out – speaking from experience here.

CountZero

Trying to imagine a ford galaxy with white leather.

Over the last three years I’ve seen and driven a fair few Galaxies, all ex-Motability cars. I’ve never seen one with a white leather interior.
    And considering the condition many Motability cars are in when they get handed back, it’s probably a very good thing.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘cartrackworld: white leather seats in a family car?’ is closed to new replies.