Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Carsalesmantrack world – Selling a 4 year old car – online, dealer?
  • gribble
    Free Member

Hi,

I have a 4 year old BMW 320 d touring, automatic. It has done 50k miles and is in very good condition. There is a warranty in place and 1 year more of services included. In the great used car sales experience of Singletrack, where am I best to sell this? Private or to the trade.

Ebay fees I think are max £50 these days, but I am worried about scammers. My only other experience was a 9yr old passat, but it was 1/5th of the value. Trade/trade in seem the easiest, but I will get the lease amount for it.

I also have some official BMW winter alloys & tyres and Thule roof bars. I presume best to sell those on ebay, as they will add nothing to the car value?

Any guidance appreciated.

Moses

Autotrader, RAC site (free), Gumtree, tout it around dealers. Selling a car is hard work, that’s why there are dealers. Webuyanycar.com is an option, too

Online book values can vary so check several.

tiggs121
    Free Member

How much do you want for it? Pics?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Autotrader is your best bet, or Pistonheads.
    I’ve never sold on Ebay or Gumtree, but the sellers always seem to be a bit wide.
    Use the wheels/tyres and rack as bargaining tools to make that sale. On ebay the wheels will only be worth £2-300.

br
    Free Member

If you are buying another car, I’d look at px prices before selling privately – and factor in the ‘hassle’ price.

If not, then it’s an ‘expensive’ private sale car, and folk buying will be wondering why you are getting shot of something so new/low-miles.

gribble
    Free Member

All, thanks for your input.

A trade-in or trade sale seems much the easiest option, as it avoids dealing with any wheel kickers and dodgy sorts.

I have had a (low) offer from a trader who was given the details through a local BMW garage, but that is to be expected. We are buying another car, so will see what that garage will offer too.

Tiggs121, will send you some details.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As above, private sale advertised on auto trader etc. Given the age and condition you will get lots of interest including from dealers anyway who will be very keen to get their hands on the car. Whenever I’ve sold cars on auto trader (4-6 years old) I would say 70% of the calls have been from dealers. Whenever I have had a trade-in type quote from dealers dealers it’s been diabolical and I’ve been much better off selling privately and getting a discount on car purchase. Trade-in dealers have told me they basically offer what they will get by putting the car in an auction, which is another option for you if you want to sell quickly and easily. As you say you will get more for winter tyres and roof bars selling separately.
    L
    Best of luck

Edit: OP can you send me the details too, to be honest I’m looking for a Quattro / 4wd but your car with winter tyres may work – email in profile

the-muffin-man

Evans Halshaw are offering more than WeBuyAnyCar…

http://www.evanshalshaw.com/sell-your-car/

In your position – if the car is on lease I’d be inclined to part-ex to be on the safe side. You are risking their property if the sale goes wrong, not your own.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

autotrader , mine sold within the week.. before that I struggled selling in other advertising site just scammers and trader calls.

there will be too many webuyanycar sort of caller though, ignore them and stick to your asking price.. i always tell them my asking price or never call back..

gribble
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input. I have stuck it on autotrader and sent the link to those who asked.

Had a couple of prices in from local and main dealer garages, so will see what interest comes along…

bear-uk
    Free Member

Try it at any local car Auctions. The druggy boys were going mad for BM’s when I bought my car.
    One was pitched at @ 11K and they paid 14K for it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Carsalesmantrack world – Selling a 4 year old car – online, dealer?’ is closed to new replies.