Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Cars with one headlight out
  • aa
    Free Member

Is driving with the other one on full beam the answer?

i shouldn’t need sunglasses on at night.

ive seen 3 such cretards in ten miles tonight!

bearnecessities

aa – Member

😀

I thought it was an automatic thing that the other light got stronger when a headlight bulb fails?

specky4eyes
    Free Member

That’s what your chav lights (fog lights) are for, innit?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CountZero

Tell me about it! Driving back from the Somerset Levels the other day, I kept getting stuck behind cars crawling along at around 40, on a fine, clear night. When I finally got an opportunity to overtake, every one had a bloody headlight out! I thought it was a legal requirement to have all lights working, and spare bulbs carried in case?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

People just don’t check their bulbs (Or oil, water, tyre pressures etc…) any more. I think it’s particularly bad in the UK too.

In all honesty when did we all last check the basics (Lights, oil, tyres) on our cars?

I do mine reasonably regularly but I’m not anal about it.
    Lights are pretty obvious, you can see them on the car in front or reflected in windows. We’ve had our car 5 years/60,000 miles and I know it doesn’t use any oil ever, but I’ll check it 4-5 times a year anyway, tyre pressures every month or two at most, but I’m very sensitive to tyres and I can feel them if they’re out by much usually
    The motorbikes are a piece of piss to check because you can see it all from the seat!

That’s just me 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I thought it was a legal requirement to have all lights working,

Correct.

and spare bulbs carried in case?

Incorrect. 🙂

Northwind

Have to admit I must have driven for a while with one of mine out before I noticed- tbh I’m just a bit too impressed by modern headlights, the throw from one light is enough that I never suspected anything was wrong. On the motorbike, if a bulb blew I knew all about it!

TBF even if I had a spares kit in the car I wouldn’t necesarily stop and change it, it’s a pain in the arris on so many modern cars, to be completed at leisure, in daylight, possibly with about 50 different tools.

bedmaker

Probably because replacing a headlight on the average new car now costs about a million pounds due to having to pull the whole thing apart for access. Froggy cars are particularly bad apparently.

Sui
    Free Member

In all honesty when did we all last check the basics (Lights, oil, tyres) on our cars?

my car lights up like a Christmas tree if anything needs changing/topping up 🙂

andytherocketeer

spotted loads of motorbikes in my rear view mirror whilst on the autobahn the other night. only to be overtaken by a car.

also saw the usual “if in doubt, just turn every possible light on – at least one of them will be the right one” on the autobahn too. UK reg. plates, of course.

had to let one knobber (also UK plates) who wanted to go the same speed as me past, and let him lead the way, it was so bright. must have cataracts or something, or a misted up windscreen. was a perfectly clear night where I was.

Dolcered

Helps if you have a car that nags you constantly about faulty bulbs. They do seem to go on my volvo way more than any other car I’ve ever owned.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Helps if you have a car that nags you constantly about faulty bulbs

Obviously most people don’t

Also, how do you know for sure that the warning is functioning correctly…? 😈

crazy-legs

Oh I see that all the time as well – it’s made worse by the comments you sometimes get on Daily Wail style news stories banging on about how cyclists should pay road tax and have insurance and an MOT. As if that magically means all cars are perfect all the time…

The vast majority of people barely know where to find the dipstick. Most cars never get checked between MOTs. I saw some statistic years ago that reckoned that about 1/3rd of cars on the road would fail an MOT in a spot check and about 1 in every 5 of those fails would be rated as a dangerous fault needing immediate action.

But most people simply don’t know or care.

bencooper
    Free Member

The vast majority of people barely know where to find the dipstick.

In many cars, it’s between the steering wheel and the seat.

We’ve got the fancy valve caps that Bluetooth the pressure to a wotsit in the car. Good for keeping an eye on things, as is the OBD2 interface thing.

aa
    Free Member

Glad its not just me who gets marked by it.

i can’t remember seeing so many Cyclops cars in many a year.

bikemike1968
    Free Member

Hi, Actual AA bloke here (not aa – member).

I would say that at least 50% of the people I go out to who have broken down don’t even know how to open the bonnet, let alone find the dipstick.
    I stand at the front of the car, say “can you pull the bonnet lever please”- cue lots of fumbling around and an eventual embarrassed request for help.

As for headlights, we go out to loads where “both headlamps suddenly went out, must be an electrical fault”. Ninety nine times out of a hundred it is two blown bulbs. The owner invariably then asks why both failed at once. They don’t like being told they didn’t both blow at once and that they’ve probably been driving with just one headlight for the last six months…

dude
    Free Member

Funnily enough, one of my headlight bulbs went this morning on the way to work. The other one went on new years eve so I had already used the spare, and halfords wasn’t open yesterday. So I had to drive a Cyclops car home tonight. I just bought two new bulbs and have been out in the dark changing it. Had to remove half the engine bay to get to the rear of the headlight.

anagallis_arvensis

I have to say I have noticed loads of one eyed cars this year but reckon its just because I am comutting further on unlight roads on my motorbike. It is really hard to judge whats coming at you at times. Bugs me that so many people piss and moan about cyclists without lights when I certainly see many many more cars with bulbs gone than cyclists without lights.

CountZero

TBF even if I had a spares kit in the car I wouldn’t necesarily stop and change it, it’s a pain in the arris on so many modern cars, to be completed at leisure, in daylight, possibly with about 50 different tools.

Sadly, not so far from the truth with some cars. My 51 Skoda is a doddle to change a bulb, takes a minute or two, whereas the W reg Puma I had was a bloody nightmare! It came under roadside repairs, and involved using a big Torx tool to take out the radiator grill, undo two bolts on the headlight unit, take off a drain tube, wiggle the entire unit free of the car, take off the rear part of the light unit, after disconnecting all the wires, then you could change the bulb. Then reverse the procedure. Took around forty-five minutes. Imagine doing that on a main road in the pissing rain or snow! 🙄

bencooper
    Free Member

The official instructions to do it on my Forfour start with jacking up the car and removing the wheels 😉

Luckily I have small dexterous hands so managed to do it on full lock.

andytherocketeer

RH side on my Leon is p155 easy. Flip the bonnet, flip the catches and take the back off.
    LH side (as viewed in the direction of driving), needs screwdriver to remove 2 bits of plastic covering the rad hose to access. And a really skinny hand, with no jewelery or sleeves.
    Indicator bulbs required a quick google to suss out.

Always have a bulb kit (law here, or at least it is in one of the many countries I drive in), screwdriver, and a torch, in the car.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

One lights better than none I suppose, the amount of people that drive at dawn/dusk at this time of year without lights on is frightening.

andytherocketeer

and in pitch dark too. and take quite a significant distance to realise they’ve not put lights on. coming out of lit carparks is a classic.

brakes
    Free Member

I don’t drive much on motorways, maybe once every couple of months, but I was amazed at how bright some car headlights are! I decided to take it easy on the 150 mile trip on Monday and the number of retina burning headlights in my rear view mirror was astonishing. I’m guessing it’s xenon or something.
    Also headlight configuration on many modern cars (and one type of bus I’ve noticed in London) make it hard to see the indicator as it doesn’t stand out against the main front/ rear light.
    Like this on a Golf.

and this on the enviro 400 bus

mindmap3
    Free Member

It winds me up too, especially on more modern cars that will well you a bulb is out.

My old E46 used to cone up with the relevant symbol to tell you which bulb had died and tell you which side it was. They were easy to change too. Out current BM just gives a bulb out warning but doesn’t tell you which light etc and the bulbs are much harder to change.

I check my tyre pressures once a week when I fill up. A lot of modern cars don’t have dip sticks anymore and rely on the computer to warn you (unless you bother to use the computer to check it).

bencooper
    Free Member

Also headlight configuration on many modern cars (and one type of bus I’ve noticed in London) make it hard to see the indicator as it doesn’t stand out against the main front/ rear light.

Yes, that’s a design feature that annoys me too. It’s easy to spot an orange light flashing on and off. It’s much harder to spot a light that alternates between red and redish-orange.

andytherocketeer

one of the new ford transit light designs is stupid too.
    cluster looks broken, then you realise it’s actually the design.

steveh

I understood that generally people aren’t driving around with the other on full beam but that only having 1 bulb working gives an overvolt supply to it leading to it being brighter (and reducing life). It is annoying though and pretty dangerous at times.

core

I’ve always been a bit obsessive about headlight bulbs, wanting bright as possible, and spotlamps on 2 cars (rally fan = bobblehatter), live in a very rural area and drive a lot in the dark/low light, pretending to be a rally driver on occasion………

My first 3 cars took H4 bulbs, which are utter dogshite (clio & 306), but easy to change & notice if one went.

Current car (2003 focus), has H7 & H1, which are a sod to change (passenger side especially), but as you’ve got 4 bulbs burning when on main beam, losing 1 is
    not that noticeable, though you’ll still have either dip or main working on that side, and you should notice if dip’s out.

My next car (this spring) will have good headlights as standard, faffing about with uprated bulbs is so tedious.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Full beam back in their eyes is a helpful friendly reminder

andytherocketeer

was driving in Holland in August on the way to the ferry. Around midday on a clear summer’s day.
    Wondered what the Morse code was to flash the headlights at the guy in front (Ford Asbo, RHD 😉 ) to remind him that he had full front and rear fogs on.

stuarty
    Free Member

On her indoor s corsa one side you need to dislocate your wrist as for the other side you need bumper off ,also it burns the contacts requiring new headlight at 200 quid a side so it can wait till mot

parkesie
    Free Member

Full beam flash nah thats for pussys turning your lights off works much better.

Its obvious to me when a light has gone out on my car as that side of the road suddenly goes dark. Keep 2 spares and an assortment of side and brake bulbs in the boot for just such occasions. Pull over and change it and carry on my way takes no more than 5 minutes.

GrahamS

In these days of billion lumen Cree LED bike lights for £5, how come cars aren’t all using them?

By the way, I have had the both headlights out at once thing. Driving along an unlit country road. Switched from full-beams to dips only for them both to go pop.

Cue momentary panic as I my brain processed that I was now travelling blind at 60mph.

Back to full beams (to annoyance of oncoming drivers) then realised front fog were the way to go.

(For bikemike: I was 99% certain both lights were working fine till they went pop. But you’ve got me thinking…)

mogrim

Checked in the instruction booklet thing that comes with my Renault Megane when one of the bulbs went – it said don’t even bother trying, take it to a garage 🙄

I’d been driving for a while with just the one working, it wasn’t that obvious from inside the car.

bikemike1968
    Free Member

” I understood that generally people aren’t driving around with the other on full beam but that only having 1 bulb working gives an overvolt supply to it leading to it being brighter (and reducing life). “

This is an urban myth I’m afraid; I won’t bore you with the O level physics, but the way they are wired means they won’t recieve more than the battery voltage no matter how many blow.

HID systems are different again, they run at several thousand volts. Repairing those is not the job for an amateur as that voltage is comfortably enough to stop your heart….

milky1980
    Free Member

Blown headlights are annoying but my pet hate is brake lights that don’t work!! See plenty of cars with the high level ones blown and invariably at least one of the others gone too!!

Oh and a few years ago I was at the motor show with my dad looking at Berlingo/Kangoo type vehicles for him. Got to the Renault stand and the salesman was explaining about the smart computer thingy to my dad when he mentioned the light warning system. He switched it on and it said the rear side light was blown so I wandered round to see how it would be changed. Popped the boot and lifted the cover off and got told by another salesman it needed a special tool (at £86!!!!) to get the cluster off the thing!! We bought a Berlingo instead.

MrOvershoot

mogrim – Member

Checked in the instruction booklet thing that comes with my Renault Megane when one of the bulbs went – it said don’t even bother trying, take it to a garage
    Which makes a mockery of some countries law of having to carry spare bulbs?

bails

Lots of people with failed bulbs must know they’ve failed, hence the fog lights and main beams to compensate. It’s not a case of not checking, it’s a case of not caring.

I had a bloke overtake me a while back. I saw he had a headlight out while he was behind me. Then he overtook and only had one tail light, then stopped at the red traffic light with no brake lights. I pulled up next to him and told him and he replied “Yeah,I know mate, the warnings keep going off”, while pointing at the dashboard full of warning lights.

Kuco

Had to replace one last week luckily enough Halfords were doing BOGOF offer on them 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Cars with one headlight out’ is closed to new replies.