Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Cars – Golf v A3 v Mazda 3 v Focus
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

Looking at getting something like one of these to replace my Polo that died recently. My budget would stretch to getting about an 8 to 12 year old one of these, (more like a 12 year old A3 or 8 year old Mazda 3, Golf and Focus somewhere in the middle), Audis seems to have better resale value. Reliability is my main concern, along with running costs, but which one of these would people gravitate more towards? Or is it too hard to pick a brand and is it more to do with individual service history and individual care etc? Can’t really go higher than about a 1.4 L engine with tax and insurance costs.

Any others I should consider?

Thanks for any help!

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Civic. Reliable, big inside. 1.6 petrol

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Civic

How reliable are the pre 2006 ones?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Very- probably better than 2006 models as a lot of them had teething problems, mostly ironed out later on in the model run (facelift 2009, replaced 2012)

My first car was a 2002 Civic- still going strong in the family

chewkw
    Free Member
    michaelmcc
    Free Member

Get this one …

Slightly out of my budget and not looking for an exec! Cheers.

chewkw
    Free Member

michaelmcc – Member

Get this one …

Slightly out of my budget and not looking for an exec! Cheers.

In that case get a Honda Civic as suggested above. They are reliable.

YoGrant
    Free Member

I love my Alfa giulietta. Great car, 1.4 petrol has good mileage and a bit of poke.

Defender
    Free Member

Honda’s are great, what about a Jazz, don’t the badge thing to worry about, they just get the job done.

TheFlyingOx

At that age it’s about how well it’s been looked after. As above, a Civic will do you well. Have a look on one of the many Civic owners club forums for a buyer’s guide and buy private rather than dealer.

hora
    Free Member

+1 Jazz. 12ish new to you 2ndhand Focus etc may prove to be a good buy or a goodbye to your wallet. Its a minefield.

johndoh
    Free Member

I have an 8 year old Mazda 3 Sport – it’s been pretty reliable but they do have one big fault (if fitted with DSC which I think is only on higher spec models such as the Sport).

Mazda refused to accept liability for the issue despite it effecting many cars so if the fault hasn’t been rectified (many haven’t as people obviously won’t pay to fix a fault until it appears) it is around £1800k to repair (and it will fail it’s MOT with it).

alanf
    Free Member

Toyota Corolla/Auris, for the reliability stake pretty hard to beat.

jambalaya
    Free Member

In your situation I would get the newer Mazda or other Japanese car. Paying a premium for a 12 year old Audi seems a bit daft and I am a big VW / Audi fan.

Nobby

Yep, Civic/Corolla options probably best fit your criteria for reliability & running costs.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Alfa 147?
    Stylish, nice to drive, cheap and reliable.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Cars – Golf v A3 v Mazda 3 v Focus’ is closed to new replies.