Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Cars and vans
  • handyandy
    Free Member

Looking for a something cheap that i can sleep in the back of with room for a couple of bikes.

Going on a euro trip next year and have £2000 to spend on an estate car or cheap van to transport myself and a mate, and with enough room for me to sleep in the back for a week.

Don’t care about power, or fancy stuff, just something i can keep for a year that wont break down every day.

I await your suggestions with butterflies in my tummy.

IHN

How long is the trip, when and to where?

For that money I’d be tempted to spend £1800 on a car and £200 on a nice spacious tent. Any £2K van is, prettty much, going to be a banger.

andrewh
    Free Member

Big thristy MPVs are nice and cheap to buy (for a reason) but a V6 Galaxy or something can be had for £1k, spend the rest on fuel…

sambob
    Free Member

We’ll be selling our 1995 Audi A6 1.9TDi at some point in the not too distant future, Depends how tall you are but it’s not quite long enough for me to sleep comfortably at 6’2″. Will do 800 miles on a tank, does about 40mpg with a boat on the roof and a boat behind. You’d probably want a car before we sell ours, but I’d highly recommend one. Ours has done 285k miles, 200k on the current engine. Will fit my Large specialized in the boot without folding the seats down (wheels off obviously). TBH if i was going to get something to sleep in for a week I’d get a van, I think I’d get fed up of the lack of space to move around, but I’m lanky and clumsy so you may well differ.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got a C-max. Bonus over an estate is there’s masses of headroom for getting changed. With the rear seats removed I can sleep on a roll mat in the back with 2 bikes (big water carrier stored behind the driver seat is the same level as the boot floor so makes it flat).

TBH though the best setup is a 2-person pop up tent from decathlon for £45, park car, tent up in well under a minute, and all my camping kit lives in a duffbag, throw that in the tent and I’m ready for the night. It’s probably quicker than clearing a sleeping space in the back!

It’s quick enough to pitch and pack away again that you can park up somehwere discreetly, sleep, then have the tent packed away before breakfast. “What do you mean Mr NT Warden? The sign clearly says no camping, not no eating breakfast next to your car!”

Or (never tried this), but you can get roofbar mounted tents for landrovers whichhave a matress in the base. Obviously requires the cars roof bars to be able to suppourt 2 people + tent through.

banks
    Free Member

that audi sounds tempting, sick of sleeping in a fiat punto 🙁

Any van in that price range probably will be a banger unless you get lucky, looked at hiring one?

nickjb
    Free Member

We have a Mitsubishi Delica for those duties. Will take a load of bikes and enough room for even the tallest person the stretch out. We had 4 people, 4 bikes and a mountain of kit in it on our last trip to Morzine. I’ve put a shelf in the back whick makes a good size double bed with space for two bikes and a canoe underneath. They are pretty old, but Japanese, so reliability is OK. £2k will get a nice one, ours was a fair bit less. pretty thirsty, but then that’s what keeps the purchase price down.

handyandy
    Free Member

Great replies, thanks so much!

The Delica is very high on my list already, just looking at options and seeing if I have overlooked anything. Better get over to the Delica forums and see whats what 🙂

sambob
    Free Member

Can keep you in the loop if you want Banks?

Simon

Mazda Bongo/Ford Freda could be an option.
    +Easy to drive
    Many come with electric elevating roof
    Seats fold flat to sleep on

-Thirsty
    Parts could be hard to source in Europe

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’d 2nd the big car and tent. vans are expensive 2nd hand, more so down the budget end of the market.

Me and my mates did many trips as teens/early 20’s in a massive brown and beige Renault Savana worth less than a tank of fuel! It was nick named ‘the slug’ partly for it’s colour, partly for it’s less than dazzling performance but never did it break down and transported us many thousands of miles on awesome adventures. Great times!

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

Old Peugeot 405 estate diesel. Not pretty but built like a tank and tend to run for ever.Plus on a £2000 budget you’ll have loads left over for a decent tent and other stuff.
    I bought one a few years back for £500 for similar reason as yourself (transporting bikes and kit and/or dogs) – only intended on keeping it for the 8 months it had left on MOT but it refused to fail the test for another 4 years. Like I said it wasn’t pretty but I loved it. Had our bike club logo sprayed on the bonnet which got a few grins/grimaces, but it served it’s purpose well.
    Only got rid after I’d crashed it into a tree (and a wall and another car). Replaced it with another but petrol instead of diesel.

handyandy
    Free Member

Sambob, let me know what happens with the audi, as it is certainly something I would consider.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Ford Transit Connect? Great little vans, enough room for bikes and a bed.

shifter
    Free Member

Astra van AND tent.

vondally
    Free Member

Big old estate

Just remember to factor in
    insurance costs
    and
    breakdown fund

23 yrs nephew and mate this summer in france/italy/slovina in a 94 passat diesel, bikes in back and tent,

200k on clock….still going but minor hiccups windscreen wipers on permantley ….take the fuse out….fine

professor_fate
    Free Member

The prob i find with estate cars for kipping in is the lack of headroom, so i found a tent with some headroom and an estate car is the ideal solution (plus you can store the bikes in it overnight…hard to do if you’re in there too) – did a couple of months worth of euro roadtrip this way and it’s what i’ll (hopefully) be doing again…

vondally
    Free Member

oh what about berlingos and others like that kango

backtothetop
    Free Member

last week i spent 2 nights away in my skoda fun, put the cab in to 4 seat configuration, bikes in the back, passenger seat laid back and slept there, not ideal but done the job, in the summer i will be doing it again but will probably take a tent.

Ideally id like a VW Transporter for this sort of thing but they cost too much to run.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Dunno what its like for sleeping in (as i haven’t tried!) But i have a 99 T reg 316 estate that i’m getting rid of. Petrol version, does 35-40 mpg. Pulls well and has been great while i’ve had it.

However i’ve gone back to an old defender 😀
    Though i would love a Delica too!

bigad40
    Free Member

I’d love to do that,
    Know folks who did trips in
    Volvo 240
    Land Rover defender 110
    And I did a trip in a Mazda 323 with bike rack and tents.

Spend a grand on vehicle, rest on a therma-rest, tent sleeping bag, car powered kettle, European food and booze.

Bon Voyage!

shifter
    Free Member

As a kid we had camping trips in an Austin Cambridge estate. Dad diagonally, me & sister each side, older brother on front seat – happy memories.

doubledunter
    Free Member

My solution for the odd night or two away, although I am thinking a bongo could be on the cards this year

van 1 by Doubledunter, on Flickr

van2 by Doubledunter, on Flickr

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

CArs way to small for 2 guys 2 bikes all your gear. Deffo need a tent or a bigish van. Like this (not mine btw) but £2000

and this

06 van with 75 k on the clock peugeot engine and ford MT75 box same as a transit, under rated cheap vans imho!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-06-REG-LDV-MAXUS-CREW-VAN-LWB-3-2T-2-5L-95BHP-6-SEATER-RED-CONVOY-/200853590630?pt=UK_Commercial_Trucks&hash=item2ec3ce9266

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-Master-3-5T-Lwb-DIESEL-MANUAL-2001-Y-/110989456910?pt=UK_Commercial_Trucks&hash=item19d77cb60e

sambob
    Free Member

Will do Andy. Might be March/April, but I’ll keep you updated.

handyandy
    Free Member

ok, got some Bongos to look at and a couple of Delica’s as well. Summer should be fun!

Thanks for all your help guys 🙂

IHN

Ideally id like a VW Transporter for this sort of thing but they cost too much to run.

To buy, yeah. To run, nope. Mine costs no more to fuel and service than the 1.6 Golf before it did.

Insurance is more to be fair, but mainly as I cunningly lost my NCB the year before I gotthe van 🙁

Northwind

Mondeo + tent. As much as I’d love a camper, it just doesn’t make much sense overall to me, especially at this price- it’d be nice for the rare times I’d actually sleep in it, but a car’s better all the rest of the time.

I ended up buying a decathlon popup tent for car-camping, since my proper tent’s impervious to all weather but takes ages to pitch and strike.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Ideally id like a VW Transporter for this sort of thing but they cost too much to run.

To buy, yeah. To run, nope. Mine costs no more to fuel and service than the 1.6 Golf before it did.

ill believe that – they both had the VAAAAAGGGGGG !!!!!! tax on them.

never had such an expensive car(golf) to buy parts for – using the same garage as always or even DIY.

kayak23

I have a Berlingo, with the rear double-seat removed. It’s big enough to sleep in then with my bike and kit on the other side.

Went around Europe in it this last summer with 2 mates. Built a false floor for the camping kit(with special pull-out baguette-support) and packed the bikes in on top. Made a false bulkhead in the place which would norally be the double seatback which meant room for tents and bags away from the bikes.
    It was a squeeze with 3 of us but worked great.

On your own a Blingo is great though. Easy enough room if you’re ok with being inventive 🙂

..and yes, I know my rims are sick.
    8)

IHN

Dunno about a VAAAAAGGGGGG !!!!!! tax on the Golf. It cost 5k, 5yrs old with 50k on it, I put another 80k on it, had it serviced by a local independent garage and whatever parts it needed were ‘normal’ prices (nothing went wrong with really though, so it rarely needed any). £150 a year to insure, 38mpg.

Transporters definately have a Transporter Tax on the purchase price though. An equivalent Transit, Vivaro etc is much cheaper (and probably no more reliable).

kristoff
    Free Member

Trail rat if you think a VW is bad to service try a land rover!

Had a discovery 3 and everything was a horrendous price. I’ve got a transporter now. Much cheaper in every way and insurance is about the same (including the transporter with extra seats, windows, lowered alloys etc).

IHN

More Berlingo-based camping:

[img]http://www.amdro.co.uk/userfiles/image/doblobed.jpg[/img]

http://www.amdro.co.uk/jump.php

haydenw
    Free Member

How about a Trailer tent and use the car you already have? You can pick up a trailer tent for quite cheap (mine’s a 1990 Conway Rio that cost £300). You can get roof rack’s for the top of the trailer to carry bikes etc leaving the trailer for your camping gear and car free for anything else.

I first used it with a 1.4 Berlingo (hardly any torque) but as the trailer weighed about 300/500kg it was within the limit and preformed alright.

And when you’re done for the day, depending on the model Trailer Tent it takes 1min-30mins to set up. Most just open from the middle with the tent attached ready to go so just the pegging out to do.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Trail rat if you think a VW is bad to service try a land rover!”

got 2 thanks ….

cheap as chips for parts – but mines are pre 1990s and i can weld.

wouldnt like to keep a new one though – my colleagues RR sport is comical for servicing.

trail_rat
    Free Member

that amdro kit makes that berlingo look spacious …..

camera makes that bed look long…. its not and to sit at that table you would have such a crick in your neck if average height. a little old lady might be fine though.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I have found the perfect vehicle for you!! HAlf car.. half van best of both and only £1200…

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-omega-Hearse-/140904020453?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item20ce88b9e5

handyandy
    Free Member

Loving the Berlingo/Kangoo idea! Dont suppose they do a midi/longer one do they?

The hearse is also awesome, though i dont think the missus would want me driving her to the shops in one 🙁

Simon

VW do the Caddy Maxi but they’re pricey.

kristoff
    Free Member

What about an older caddy van. Cheap as chips now!

Caddy

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Cars and vans’ is closed to new replies.