Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Carrying water without backpack
  • ad4m
    Free Member

Basically fed up of using backpack and bladders and looking to put all my equipment on my bike (tube, multitool etc). Plenty of solutions out there for that, but what about water?

Have a bottle cage on the bike, but for longer 3/4 hour rides 1 bottle isn’t enough, so what would be a good solution in this case to carry water without using a backpack?

nickfrog
    Free Member

A waist pack, or fanny pack or whatever it is called. I just bought a Dakine Hot Laps 5L and love it. Others are a available.

jam-bo

fill the bottle up?

cookeaa

Second bottle cage? It is possible even without bosses.
    And/or plan routes that go via a tap?

midlifecrashes

Stop at the pub for a pint or two halfway.

feed

Cycling top with pockets and Hydramate (or similar) foldable water bottles ?

Drac

Use mountain rescue water stops.

benp1

Get bigger bottle. Second bottle on bike. Refill single bottle part way round at pub/church/cafe. Take filter and use a stream to refill. Use a bumbag/waist pack

Keva
    Free Member

I’ve a 1litre water bottle, well 980ml that will do me for three hours so long as it’s not baking hot. maybe find a pub or water tap somewhere to top it up with if you run low? There’s couple of places on route where I ride that have outside taps. One of them has a mint bush next to the tap so I stick some mint leaves in there as well 🙂

Yak

Sort your bike for 2 bottles and storage. This sort of thing:

slowoldman

One of those cages the fit behind the saddle? Unfortunately you may be mistaken for a triathlete.

kayak23

Plug any holes in the frame and fill that up. Remove the seat tube when you need a slurp.

tjagain

If you really want more water frame bag with your camel back bladder in it?

dovebiker

2x 750ml bottles will keep you riding for 3-4hrs unless it’s really hot. If you want more, then a bladder in a frame bag is what I’ve used for really long rides.

BadlyWiredDog

Raceface does – or did – a top that incorporates a reservoir pocket.

https://www.raceface.com/products/details/stash-mens-tank-18

Never used one, but it does exist. I suspect someone else will do something similar too, though I can’t think who offhand. Camelbak used to do one, i think, but no idea if it still exists.

johnners
    Free Member

Just wear one of those stillsuits. If it’s good enough for the Fremen…

scotroutes

Raceface does – or did – a top that incorporates a reservoir pocket.

https://www.raceface.com/products/details/stash-mens-tank-18

Never used one, but it does exist. I suspect someone else will do something similar too, though I can’t think who offhand. Camelbak used to do one, i think, but no idea if it still exists.

I have the RaceFace. The additional pockets are great but the reservoir holder not so much. For a start, it’s impossible to remove and/or refill the bladder when wearing it. The additional support needed for the bladder also makes the back panel very sweaty, even when there’s no reservoir present.

Endura now do a very similar – Singletrack – bib-short but in a lighter material. I’d look at one of them first (though the refill thing will remain an issue on longer rides).

The RaceFace is now reserved for Winter use as having the reservoir/hose close to the body and under outer layers means they don’t freeze up.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member
    jimdubleyou

Alpkit stem cell (other brands are available) and a Nalgene.

Bikepacking on my full suss, one bottle in cage in frame, nalgene in stem cell and another bottle on the bars using an adapter/bottle cage.

zippykona

You could always make a Zippomatic 2000 drinks master. Costs less than a tenner.

mattvanders
    Free Member

I ride with a dakines 2 lire hot lap that allows for an external water bottle to be mounted to the outside of the bag and store bits & bobs in the bag. Run a cage on the frame and swop out the bottle once it is empty.

qwerty
    Free Member

For my doorstep riding i use a single 750ml bottle & i’ve got a network of outside taps that i use: second hand car dealer, church, scout hut, working mans club, camp sites etc. Be resourceful it makes resupply an element of a ride. If you are somewhere a bit more out there a Sawyer water filter would do the trick. I also have the Dakine Hot Laps 2 & can add another bottle, but tend to only do this if crazy hot.

kneed

Surely there are others that use a water filter and help themselves to streams / rivers etc?

I use a “Water-well”: means I only ever carry 700cc but top up regularly. There are probably better versions. Wont work everywhere obviously (in my head especially I wont use it downstream from human habitation- but I’m not sure that’s founded).

oldnpastit

Fill up your stomach with water before you head out, it will easily hold a an extra litre.

With that and a 750ml bottle, 4 hours should be fine unless you are racing up Mt Diablo in California in July or something.

Caher

I read somewhere (cycling weekly?) You don’t need as much water as you think you do.

oldnpastit

I read somewhere (cycling weekly?) You don’t need as much water as you think you do.

Exactly.

tjagain

3rded. I find it incredible the amount of water some of you take. You take more water for a couple of hours cycling in the UK than I need for 10 hours exercise in 30 degree heat

zippykona

If the zippomatic isn’t to your liking , runner’s bottles are easy to attach anywhere.

I normally strap one to my handlebars with a toe clip strap. An easy way to carry half a litre.

BadlyWiredDog

It’s one of the great joys of sports science that you can find research supporting just about anything you want to believe – the answer is probably something along the lines of ‘it depends’.

ad4m
    Free Member

Some interesting suggestions here. I can’t really refill anywhere near the trail so need to take all my water with me. Tempted by putting a bottle on the frame and using one of these lightweight hip packs that trail runners use so I have two bottles, and put the tools/tubes on the frame.

escrs
    Free Member

I use a folding water bottle

You can carry them in a pocket or strap them to the bike using some velcro strapping

Once finished with you just fold them up and stuff them in a pocket, only cost £1 too

https://www.sportsdirect.com/sportsdirect-folding-water-bottle-898108#colcode=89810818

Shred
    Free Member

I have one of these for the times when I need more water
    https://backbottle.com/

Works really well, not a big bottle, but easy to use and get in and out of your pockets

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s one of the great joys of sports science that you can find research supporting just about anything you want to believe – the answer is probably something along the lines of ‘it depends’.

+1 it’s a daft statement to make.

E.g. I can do a 6hr road ride in summer on 2l of water and a pint of lemonade at the pub halfway, but I’m a dehydrated mess barely able to turn the pedals by the end.

I can also take a 3l Camelback to Swinley and drink it all. And not need a pee either, just 2h doing laps at a high intensity.

The latter is probably closer to an equilibrium. I could probably do a lap of Swinley with no water (or drinking before the start) but that’s not something that could be extrapolated!

whitestone
    Free Member

A) We’re all different.
    B) Depends on how (physically) hard you are riding.
    C) Depends on the weather.

I’d like to know where the OP is riding that they aren’t near a water supply of some sort for three to four hours.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

As all roadies know, one of the most effective ways to lose weight off your bike is to pay your mate to carry your 1 litre bottle i.e. one kilo and ride alongside you, handing it to you whenever you are thirsty.

Do this. It’s a win:win.

IdleJon

I’d like to know where the OP is riding that they aren’t near a water supply of some sort for three to four hours.

Why?

I can spend three to four hours riding the local woods, about two miles from a pub or shop. It doesn’t mean that I’ll ever use those places when I can carry all the water and food I need. It’s also only four miles from home, so I could ride back when I need a slurp. 🙄

ayjaydoubleyou

I can also take a 3l Camelback to Swinley and drink it all. And not need a pee either, just 2h doing laps at a high intensity.

The latter is probably closer to an equilibrium. I could probably do a lap of Swinley with no water (or drinking before the start) but that’s not something that could be extrapolated!

forgot my bottle for a Swinley ride once. Was gagging to the point of literally vomiting after 40 minutes. Evening in October.

Moses

Gorilla cage or equivalent fitted to the normal cage mounts, plus 2L fizzy drinks/cider bottle.

pampmyride
    Free Member

Nathan runner belt – two small bottles for evening rides. + frame bottle for long ones. Drink a pint before you start.. frame bag for tube etc.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Carrying water without backpack’ is closed to new replies.