• This topic has 23 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Kuco.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Carrying u-locks about
  • ratherbeintobago

Looking for a means of carrying a u-lock about that doesn’t involve frame brackets.

Is there such a thing as a back holster? Attempted googling has been… eye opening but not all that helpful.

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

On the rare occasions I carry one I slip it into the bladder compartment of a camelback

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Check and see if the U slides neatly in between the saddle rails from front to back. Obviously it depends on lock and saddle but one of my locks fitted perfectly there to the degree that it didn’t even swivvle round and hang down. It just sat there hanging horizontally under the saddle.

molgrips
    Free Member

When I was a student my best MTB was my only bike and hence my only form of transport. I used to stick the lock down the back of my trousers. Not ideal. TBH nowadays I’d use a small messenger bag that I have.

tthew

Do you already have the lock? I recommend the Lite Lock if not, gold secure and straps to the frame with velcro, not a permanent bracket. The instructions say to put the straps on the frame and fit the lock, I put them on the lock, then attach to the frame.

Oggles
    Free Member

Restrap make a belt holster. You could probably use it on a bag strap too.

I’ll just loop it through my belt on short journeys if cycling in casual wear.

Ghetto solution – pass an old inner tube through the U, then one arm through each loop, over the back?

kelron
    Free Member

I’d be wary of using a Lite Lock for anything valuable.

warpcow
    Free Member

Most courier-bag brands do lock holsters; bagaboo, chrome, etc.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I used to stuff it through my belt at the back for hilstering around town.

It hurts ALOT landing on it.

molgrips
    Free Member

That video of the guy breaking the lite lock: he’s cheating by leaning on the cutters on the floor. Nowhere near as easy if the thing is on a bike away from the ground.

bigblackshed
    molgrips
    Free Member

From the PX link – this is a reeeally old photo!

tthew

I’m not daft enough to think my Lite Lock is infallible, but describing those **** off massive chompers as “cable cutters” is a bit of a stretch.

You’d get through the mooring chains of a cruise ship with those buggers! Not something your average scally bike thief will have tucked down his trackies.

fletch71
    Free Member

Try one of these or another in the range https://www.hiplok.com/product/d-lock/

tjagain

I put it in the water bag pouch of my Rucsac. My lock weighs 2.5 kilos and unlike the litelock is boltcropper proof. If it’s not casehardened steel shackle 16mm thick and big enough to go round a lamppost it’s only going to stop opportunistic theft. This lock has prevented three thefts
    Kryptonite m18

joebristol

I’ve got a hip lock gold which is ok. It’s sold secure gold and the chain is quite burly – and if you lock it away from the ground so someone can’t use massive cutters (with the ground as a lever) I think it’s pretty secure.

Of course if someone has a battery angle grinder and there is no-one around to see what’s going on they’ll get through pretty much anything.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/hiplok-gold-wearable-bicycle-chain-lock/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360702839&kpid=5360702839&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Shopping+-+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mckv|sQdwmyp0J_dm|mcrid|295292024608|mkw||mmt||mrd|5360702839uk|mslid||&mkwid=sQdwmyp0J_dm&pcrid=295292024608&prd=5360702839uk&pgrid=60972124962&ptaid=pla-520736138342&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-q7owfb54gIVLbvtCh2F8wL3EAQYASABEgI2v_D_BwE

tomaso
    Free Member

This is what I did at Uni if I didn’t have a bag.

molgrips
    When I was a student my best MTB was my only bike and hence my only form of transport. I used to stick the lock down the back of my trousers. Not ideal. TBH nowadays I’d use a small messenger bag that I have.

Back of jeans pocket or through belt works too. Also excellent handy personal defence system in da hood.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

hip lock gold which is ok. It’s sold secure gold and the chain is quite burly – and if you lock it away from the ground so someone can’t use massive cutters (with the ground as a lever) I think it’s pretty secure.

I think you’re the perfect customer really. Sold secure is just a group set up by lock makers to promote their products and con people into thinking that they are buying something better than they are.

antigee

another vote for in the bladder section of small rucsac – usually if going somewhere that needs a U lock I’m going to need a rucsac for stuff and anyway need somewhere to put my lights/tool kit when leave bike

TiRed

Rucksack or pannier for my small kryptonite or squire. If I don’t have a bag, I’m not going to be locking it anyway. I wouldn’t carry it on a belt for fear of crashing. It’s not going to help is it?

benp1

My locks are carried on the bike

D lock inside the frame on my commuter
    Bordo lock attached to the main tube in my Brompton
    D lock and cable extension in the pannier of my cargo bike
    MTB doesn’t carry a lock. Doesn’t get used in a way that need to be locked really, but use a tiny cafe stop lock for bikepacking and other things if I need one

Kuco

Wow, considering it took 16 seconds to cut that lock he made it last 4:46s.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Carrying u-locks about’ is closed to new replies.