• This topic has 38 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Carrying mini pump on road bike – any bright ideas?
  • cinnamon_girl

Apart from securing with velcro around the top tube, what other options are there?

Yes yes I know roadies pop it in their jersey rear pocket but when it’s cold and wearing more layers??

As always, thanks. 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

bracket mounted to bottle cage mounts

cinnamon_girl

Thanks, good idea and I may have a bracket in my spares box. Bit concerned about fixing it on a plastic bike though. 🙂

dazh

I still put the pump in a jersey pocket in the winter. In fact it’s better cos there’s less chance of it falling out of a jersey pocket if you’re wearing a jacket or gilet over the top.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the one I have is rigid plastic and sits under the bottle cage but doesn’t rattle against the frame.

crazy-legs

Still in the rear pocket of the lycra top that I’m wearing underneath my outer layer.

Or if it’s my Endura Stealth, there’s a nice zipped pocket on the back which holds it perfectly.

cinnamon_girl

OK thanks. 🙂 I guess I was kinda hoping that a more aesthetically-pleasing solution existed. 😉

Edit: can I ask for recommendations of mini pumps?

onandon
    Free Member

Depends on the size of the pump. On one of my bikes I have a carbon fibre pump inserted in the seatpost and held it with a small piece of foam to prevent rattle.

On another I use one of these from deal extreme.
    Stick it around the seatpost or any part of the frame for holding flashlights, pumps etc etc

Or

stumpy01

I got a Lezyne pump that came with a frame mount. Seems to work well and it sits clear of the frame so “shouldn’t” cause any damage.

You can get tool cannisters for fitting spares etc. into and some of these are long enough to fit a small pump into. Like this:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bbb-btl-18l-tools-and-tube-storage-bottle-large/

which from the Q&A bit should fit a pump about 175mm long in.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – Member
    OK thanks. I guess I was kinda hoping that a more aesthetically-pleasing solution existed.

There probably is but as I’m a mountain biker riding a road bike a mountain morph pump strapped on there is good enough. Though 2 CO2 canisters in the saddle bag is my alternative.

shermer75
    Free Member

I also risk mass ridicule by having it attached with a bracket under the bottle cage. Its a Lezyne, ‘pressure drive’ I think…

slowoldgit
    Free Member

One of those Zefal HPX pumps, the sort that fits between two corners of your frame? Big looking things, but dead fast for getting tyres rock-hard.

iainc

the small Lezyne one is tiny and goes in back pocket without hardly sticking out the top

D0NK

there’s something very right about those 2 torches, a big torch with another one aswell[img]http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_12000_1.jpg[/img]Gotta be a bloke thing, puts me in mind of Ripley* lashing the flamethrower to the pulse rifle in aliens. Grrrr.

So frame fit pumps aren’t cool now then? jersey pocket mostly, do have some lezyne bottle mounts, seem a good idea but never actually fit/used them yet.

*yes I’m aware of the irony that my example involved someone of the lady persuasion but cobbling stuff together, adding extras making everything bigger/better is most definitely blokey.

velocipede
    Free Member

Forget the mini pump – go for two gas canisters in the pocket – except it’s not good when you have three flats (yes, it happened to me!) 🙂

mattsccm
    Free Member

Just bung it under the bottle cage like they are meant to be.
    Can’t understand the pocket option. It isn’t on the bike and is thus 1 more thing to pick up.

Haze

More layers = more pockets for stuff.

Or an Exposure helmet mount?!

shamus
    Free Member

My tiny carbon (topeak?) one has spent many rides lashed to the back of my seatpost making it look very aero from a distance. failing that it fits in my equally tiny saddle bag (syncros?) or pocket.
    a racer friend has a stem/top tube food bag which usually holds tools so he can’t throw them away when grabbing a jacket or more fuel. Seems a neat solution for tiny pumps

nosaintangel
    Free Member

cut top off an old bidon (bottle) fit in two tubes two tyre leavers mini pump.put in spare bottle cage. 😀

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Saddle bag might have loops for it like mine

TiRed

Topeak pumps come with an aesthetically pleasing bracket. Think I have a spare or two if you want one. I have one on the commuter, but the road and race bike pump is a tiny carbon thing that fits in a pack in my pocket. To be honest, I use CO2 cartridges because they are so good.

lightman
    Free Member

If you don’t want to put it in your pocket and not keen on having it on your bike, just get one of these.
    Ive had one for years, never used it yet though. You just need to remember an allen key if your collar isn’t quick release.
    They come in black as well.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve got a small Boardman micro pump from Halfords that came with a plastic holder that screws on between the frame and the bottle cage. You can mount it either on the down or seat tube. Its small and short (shorter than a bottle) and secure. It comes with a velcro strap as well if you want extra security. I carry CO2 inflators in my saddle bag which can inflate a 700C road bike tyre to about 120psi so only carry the pump in case I have multiple punctures and run out of CO2 canisters or cock up loading one and expel it by accident.

I can’t stand having too much in my jersey pockets digging into my back. I don’t mind soft items like extra clothing and food, but not hard objects.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Every single mini pump (and some not so mini) I can think of comes with a specific mount for just this purpose. Certainly every Bontrager, Leyzne and Topeak on the shop does!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Bit concerned about fixing it on a plastic bike though.

What’s that got to do with the price of fish? You’re over thinking it. 🙂 Just screw a bracket on FFS!

Edit: can I ask for recommendations of mini pumps?

As always, if you actually want to pump your tyre up, not look like you are whilst getting cramp in your forearms, pick a Topeak ‘morph’ pump.
    Mountain Morph for MTBS
    Road Morph for road bikes
    (Surprising I know)
    There is none better.

jamesfuller
    Free Member

Tape it somewhere on the bike (or yourself) with a couple of layers of duct tape, it will re stick a couple of times!

montylikesbeer
    stevious

CO2 for me. I use the one Monty linked to and it works.

enfht
    Free Member

Slip it up the inside leg of your lycras, at the front to prevent any chaffing. Easy access and looks great too.

igm

White Lezyne pump matches my white plastic road bike and I think looks lovely

velocipede
    Free Member

montylikesbeer – Member
    mosa co2

That’s unbelievably cheap – inc two CO2 cartridges too – brilliant!

beerbiker
    Free Member

Try a BeerBabe re-cycled inner tube tool roll it can hold a pump & either go in your back pocket or attached to the seat post with its velco strap 😉

http://www.beerbabe.co.uk/ourshop/prod_2835483-Tool-Roll.html

or the slightly smaller mini tool roll.

http://www.beerbabe.co.uk/ourshop/prod_2840540-Mini-Tool-Roll.html

Superficial
    Free Member

On the commuter – gaffa taped to the frame

On the road bike – in my back pocket, duh!

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Goes in my camelback of course

JoeG
    Free Member

Make Bighead carry your tools, pump, etc.! 😉

DrP

C-G…
    Ive recently ordered a bunch of These as they look perfect for carrying tube/pump etc…
    Not arrived yet, but the vids on the website look promising!

I might even make a few to a similar design too!

DrP

fubar
    Free Member

One of the smaller Lezyne pumps fits in a Medium seat pack (with tube, levers etc). They also all fit in a tool bottle if you have a spare bootle cage (not sure if they fit in both sizes…tool bottles

I prefer the seat pack as it doesn’t rattle.

JoeG
    Free Member

OP – Could you carry it in your cleavage? 😉 :mrgreen:

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Carrying mini pump on road bike – any bright ideas?’ is closed to new replies.