Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • carrying DSLRs on the bike
  • theflatboy
    Free Member

what do you use, how do you find it, what do you recommend, what do i need to know?

going on a biking excursion for my stag weekend at start of september, want to get some proper pics of the action by taking my proper camera, if poss. any suggestions welcome.

toys19
    Free Member

rucksack

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

like this:

br
    Free Member

Pack the body without the lens attached.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

isn't that the worst advice ever ? An invitation for crap on the sensor 🙁

GrahamS

Agree with simon (for once) that sounds like a terrible idea, even with a body cap and means you can't easily whip the camera out to take pics.

theflatboy
    Free Member

ideally i'd want to be able to access it and use it quickly, rather than have to stop to reassemble it each time, too.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

ideally i'd want to be able to access it and use it quickly

the chest pack was Chipps' idea, and gives almost instant access 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

yeah it looks like a good idea. i'll have to check out my bags and see if i can rig one up in a similar way.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Mine is a Lowepro Nova Mini AW (£24), with an extra loop sewn on at the bottom to pick up the waist strap of my pack. You need a 3 point attachment to stop it bobbing as you pedal.

theflatboy
    Free Member

good stuff, cheers.

nbt

I put mine in a lowepro case in my camelbak, but it's awkward to access. A chest mount might be a better idea if I ever get round to it

stumpy01

Think Tank Photo do a holder called a Digital Holster and also a separate chest harness that is discreet enough to wear under your main pack without feeling like the two sets of straps get in the way.

The whole lot comes to £50 and you can adjust the strap lengths above & below the bag to get it sat exactly where you want it. It also pulls in nice & tight if you want so it doesn't get bounced around all over the place on rocky sections.

I've got a D80 with the 18-135 lens and it just fits in the Digital Holster 10 that I bought. The nose of the bag extends if required and it will take my 70-300VR as well. If I was buying again I'd probably get the next size up though for a D80 size body (as it is quite snug).
    It comes with a shoulder strap for normal use and a waterproof cover, which are handy additions.

Here's a pic from their website:

and a link to the main Digital Holster page: http://www.snapperstuff.com/photographyproducts/categories/Digital%20Holster/listproducts.asp

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

note: that pic ^^^ has the camera pack too low and it's likely to hit the knees, particularly on steep climbs. For me there's only just enough room between knees and chin when riding, about 25cm…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

SFB's way is about the best. I use a smaller case that just takes thge camera and has a zip and clip closure. I leave the zip open and put the camera strap round my neck, then just secure with the clip.

I do sometimes just bung it in my camelbak, especially if the ride is going to be on the knarly side – in the Alps for instance. And if I need to carry the flash and more kit I have a LowePro rucksack that carries all my gear, has space for trail kit, and will take a bladder too. But it's big and heavy. This is what I use when the riding is secondary to the photography, at races etc. 🙂

smoggy
    Free Member

There's a specific camera bag called slingback or somethinq – sure it's by AW. it's a back pack with a side access that just kinda'swings round to the front for easy access. sorry i'm a bit vague………..the thought was there though! 🙂

stumpy01

note: that pic ^^^ has the camera pack too low and it's likely to hit the knees, particularly on steep climbs. For me there's only just enough room between knees and chin when riding, about 25cm…

Correct, but I did say in my post:

you can adjust the strap lengths above & below the bag to get it sat exactly where you want it

That image is a generic one from their website and shows where you would probably put if for normal walking around type stuff. I sit mine much higher up my chest (you just need to pull in the top straps and loosen the bottom ones……probably a bit higher than yours is positioned in your second standing pic sfb……

theflatboy
    Free Member

where do you live, stumpmeister? 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

probably a bit higher than yours is positioned in your second standing pic sfb……

correct, that's my walking pack when I don't want the camera so "in my face" 🙂

stumpy01

theflatboy – nr Peterborough.

theflatboy
    Free Member

ah, not to worry – thought i might be able to have a look at it in the flesh. will have to try to find somewhere stocking them, or go for a DIY version.

molgrips
    Free Member

I had this trouble earlier in the year, in the end I just went for a small minimal camera case that I could toss in a slightly larger camelbak. It helps that I have an Olympus e600 which is quite small.

GrahamS

There's a specific camera bag called slingback
    or somethinq – sure it's by AW

LowePro SlingShot?

I use one. Goes snowboarding with me and is fine for that. Never tried it on a bike, but U suspect it would slip round.

stumpy01

theflatboy – I can take some pics of it on & off etc. and mail them over to you if you want…..? Let me know.

I ended up getting mine online after trying one for size at the Focusing on Imaging exhibition at the NEC….

digiphotoneil
    Free Member

Depends on how you are shooting. If you are whipping the camera out for the occasional snapshot a chest mount is fine. If you have a specific shot in mind or are going to shoot in predefined places then I prefer to carry in my rucksack. Recently I have been tucking the lens into a lensholder and leaving the body sat out in the top of my rucksack. The camera can be accessed pretty quickly. The body and lens are both insured (not a bad idea if you want proper good MTB shots).

I'm with b r on dismounting the lens, cameras and lenses pack a lot better seperately and in mild conditions it is quite simple to mount the lens without putting crap on your sensor. I would consider doing this when I'm hauling some strobes along too. The entire rig packs more compactly in this way and sits better on my back.

How I carry for a night shoot (Camelbak Menace)

theflatboy
    Free Member

thanks all for pointers, useful stuff. cheers for offer, stumpomatic 9000 – prob ok for now, just getting some ideas and don't want to put you out. if you fancy sticking some pics up on here than would certainly give me an idea of how it looks, but don't put yourself out.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘carrying DSLRs on the bike’ is closed to new replies.