Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Carrying children pillion on a motorcycle, and bike recommendations
  • benp1

Purely hypothetical at this stage, I’m thinking about taking my kids on the back of my bike

I’ve literally just SORN’d my Fireblade as I’m not having the chance to use it and tax and insurance has come up, no point paying when I’m not using it. We’re also a 1 car household, I would really like to it stay that way. I’ve been looking at getting an electric cargobike for local stuff but sometimes it’s a bit further away and cycling wouldn’t be practical.

So with those two things colliding, and a third child imminent, I was wondering if I could get a bike to take a kid on. They’re 7 and 6, big enough to reach the footpegs and both have balance (they can cycle independently)

Any thoughts on this? Has anyone else taken young kids on their motorbike?

Fireblade isn’t really a good candidate for this either – very leant forward, small pillion seat, no storage. I could consider changing bike to something more comfortable and safer, I don’t want an old man bike though! I was thinking something still fun (my motorbike is a toy ultimately) but with the ability to stick a topbox on the back for the practicalities and so they have something to lean back on. Storage options would be helpful, although I don’t want a huge bike as it’s kept in a very small and very full garage.

Recommendations and thoughts welcome!

tomhoward

Any thoughts on this?

Yeah, but you don’t want to hear them. In short, I think it’s a bad idea. But I’m not a motorcyclist.

tjagain

If they can reach the footpegs and be trusted to hold on just do it. Why not? I’d consider a topbox with a backrest tho

prawny

A mate of mine used to go on camping holidays with his dad on his ancient 500cc commuter thing when we were 8 or 9 so I’d have thought now was probably the time to start if you’re going to.

Not sure if I’d risk taking bthe kids on a bike though, if anything happened the Mrs would kill me. I don’t think I’d be happy to go on the back of someone else’s bike either though so YMMV.

tjagain

Goldwing? I have seen them with specific child seats

doomanic

benp1

I’m not 100% myself yet, so you’re concerns are entirely justified. Motorbikes are a lot more dangerous than cars and I’m not sure I want to expose them to that…

anagallis_arvensis

Goldwing

Just rememberall the safety equipment and clothing!!

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’m not sure I want to expose them to that…

I’m sure I wouldn’t.

poly
    Free Member

Many years ago a guy used to pass me with his kid on the back on the way to drop them at school. He’d then ride back with the kids helmet over his arm. One day, entirely no fault of his own a car pulled out in front of him, he’d still have been doing at least 20mph when he hit it and went over the front. Fortunately he was on his way home and his most serious injuries were to the arm with the helmet on it (open fracture) – a good helmet and a decent jacket probably helped reduce the rest of the mess. Had the kid been on the back my first aid skills might have been really stretched – especially as she never wore leathers and her helmet was nowhere near as good. His arm heeled and I saw him riding again but never with the kid.

That’s made me feel a little uncomfortable every time I see a youngster on the back of a bike (which I realise is not necessarily a rational risk response). If you are going to do it they deserve good safety kit – which with growing youngsters is going to be fairly pricey.

Rich_s

I used to commute to the middle of Leeds on the back of my dad’s bike. Initially a Honda c90 then cb125, cb450, xj600, xj900… I was 12 ish when we started and I don’t remember it being particularly unsafe (me wedged between him and a top box, wearing over trousers and a barbour waxed jacket).

Caveat is that he was a police driver so pretty well aware. Trouble is, the other pricks on the road.

I do recall a conversation with a gold wing owner who told me that his <10 year old daughter once fell asleep on the back and first he knew was when her helmet peak dug into his back.

eddie
    Free Member

I’d love a motor bike but 20+ years working in trauma operating theatres has put me right off, would I take my kids on the back if I had one, nope

benp1

Might shelve this, more risks than rewards here

Thanks folks

tomaso
    Free Member

My eldest want on the back of my CRB600 with a Fireblade engine to her friends house 4 miles out of Lancaster. She used to beg me. I think we once touched 40mph.

The wife was clear to me that if anything happened she would damn me for eternity.

It was not me wanting to take her, but her wanting to go on the back. She still nags me to fix my motorcycle in the garage so she can go on the back. She doesn’t realise that it has a single seat and no pillion footpegs.

As for recommendations, I would say anything safe and comfy would do. Something at the opposite spectrum of an RGV250! I think the noise and experience is as much a part of it, so maybe a small twin like an SV650 that makes good noises but isn’t too daft.

Dickyboy

My wife was on the back of her dad’s bike aged about 10 when they had an accident, didn’t stop her getting her bike licence when older.
    Yes, bikes are inherently more dangerous than cars but you can significantly beat the statistics by not riding like a dick.

rocketman
    Free Member

I used to ferry rocket jr to and from school when he was 5. I had a Harley at the time so a backrest didn’t look out of place. From about 8 he used to regularly ride pillion on my R1. I wore a kind of harness with handles (Oxford?) so he was attached to me. He had a textile suit with adjustable arms and legs so he wouldn’t grow out of it too quick. Small Arai was fine, He was probably 11-12 when we called it a day

Naysayers (e.g. the mrs and MIL) will give you all kinds of BS about it being dangerous. You know how good you are and you know the risks. Make the decision.

tomhoward

You know how good you are and you know the risks.

How good are all the other road users? Does the kid know, and appreciate, the risks?

As I said above, I’m not a biker, nor do I have kids, but a motorcycle would be the last thing I’d use to transport young kids.

weeksy

Yeah, but you don’t want to hear them. In short, I think it’s a bad idea. But I’m not a motorcyclist.

I’m a motorcyclist, but i’m a NO. Never taken my lad on the back who’s nearly 11. I let him throw himself down trails at BPW though 🙂

benp1

That’s sort of where I am. I am a confident rider so wouldn’t have a problem having them on the bike, I also trust myself and would ride sedately when they’re with me. However, the ‘what if’ scenario is always there. I ride with an expectation that I’m going to come off one day (but hope and try not to), but don’t like the idea of that with one of my children on the back

They do like sitting on the back on my bike, even though it’s sitting in the garage looking sorry for itself

timbog160

I’m a motorcyclist and I’m a yes, but my kids are older (10+) and I wouldn’t do it with my R1. Conversely I don’t like them cycling on the road and actively discourage it…

I have a plan to go touring with my youngest on a gold wing god help me!!

TiRed

I had exactly this debate when I bought our kiddyback tandem. Mrs TiRed was dead against putting a 4yo and a 1yo on the back of a bike with little more than a polystyrene helmet and some shorts. Thousands of miles and 15 years later she’s changed. Our highest speed was 40 mph down a nice drag. Never had a single incident.

As for taking them on a motorcycle, I’d have no issues for the right motorcycle. Not a sports bike – do you sit on the back? And all the proper kit and a top box to sit against. Face it, you want a middle-aged man’s bike to move your children and give them an experience they’ll cherish (FJ1300?). Do it. The action of riding a motorbike is sufficient thrill, I’m sure a Fireblade heightens this thrill (perhaps at the expense of your own safety), but the shared experience on a “lesser” bike with your children will bring that back up and then some!

pjm7
    Free Member

I’m not going to say yes or no, that’s your decision, but if you decide to, would a pillion pal (belt with handles that the rider wears) help?

timbog160

I think it would depend on the bike but I suspect in most cases the pillion pal would be a good idea.

fasthaggis

I would do it and have done when my boys were young (10 and 12), used to pick them up from school (used a pillion pal). Ultimately, it’s up to the individual and what the local traffic and routes are like in their area. There has been motorbikes in my family for generations, I grew up riding around on the back of my Dad’s bikes.

benp1

A pillion pal (or love handles as I know them) would be a minimum

I sometimes pick up my son from cubs on the back of my commuter bicycle. He sits on the rack and holds my waist, he loves it. It’s what makes me think about getting him on a motorcycle.

I want the memories, I want to hear them chatting away excited and laughing, I want to feel their head bobbing around taking it all in. I’ve had that on a bicycle (in different formats), I’d like more of it.

But I’m still not convinced about the safety of it. I’ll probably get an electric cargo bike to cover me in the interim and then consider it again when they get older

bazzer
    Free Member

People get quite emotive about the safety of motorcycles.

Reality is, if its a low risk route and the speeds are low then its probably less dangerous then them cycling.

You have a more commanding position on the road and you will get more respect from other road users.

If its a 60mph country road with lots of junctions, then the risk assessment is different.

db

Friend at work was pillion on the M1 at night near Nottingham. It is thought she fell asleep and fell off, boyfriend immediately pulled up on hard shoulder and tried to get to her. Both were struck by multiple vehicles and killed, I worry every time I see a pillion rider now.

Would I do it, no. Should you do it, as bazzer says you need to do the risk assessment and decide. I can think of many countries where carrying the whole family on a c90 is done, the traffic is slow and there are few idiots in cars as everyone is on a step-through! For me in the UK the risk of a poor driver in a range rover, volvo xc90 etc would be too great.

tjagain

My missus used to fall asleep on the back of the bike quite often. first thing I would know is when I braked and she thudded into my back. Big BMW with a top box with backrest.

I took my nephews and my pals kids on my bikes for short spins when they were around 11 no problem

robz400
    Free Member

I’ve taken my 11 year old son on the back a few times including an hour plus trip.

Once on a Harley and the rest on a Honda VFR800 with a top box. He loved the VFR and was no hassle at.

The only thing is it’s a big deal for kids and he definitely needs to be in right mood. I’d never want to rely on it as transport, just an occasional ride if the weather, traffic and his tiredness etc all match up.

zanelad
    Free Member

I used to take my daughter on the back for occasional rides to school or trips out. She enjoyed it. I used a ” pillion pal” belt. It’s easy to forget that they’re there though. A couple of times I found out, oops.

Ignore the doom mongers, especially those who have never ridden a motorcycle.

As has been said, you’ll never hear the end of it if you crash with them on the back……….

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Carrying children pillion on a motorcycle, and bike recommendations’ is closed to new replies.