• This topic has 18 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by barryrodriguez-spam.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Carry on luggage
  • oddjob
    Free Member

Following on from the business travel thread earlier, I am starting to do some more business travel again starting next week and I need a new carry on suitcase. I have always been a samsonite fan, but are there any other brands I should take a look at before pulling the trigger on another samsonite?
    Hard sided or soft?

wwaswas

I was expecting Barbara Windsor content 😉

saleem
    Free Member

I’ve a Victorinox which are well made, I’ve just picked a Tripp, nice little carry on £45 down from £140-£150 from Debenhams.

hot_fiat

With Sid James presiding over Bernard Bresslaw as a fumbling baggage handler?

globalti
    Free Member

Samsonite or Delsey only for business travel. 28 years of travelling tells me other cheaper cases don’t last.

I always travel with 24 hours worth of work clothes and overnight kit in a soft Samsonite bag, which means I can survive my big case being bumped to the next day’s flight. In about 80 trips to Africa it has happened about 6 times. The soft bag gets used for carrying samples etc. to customer meetings and on overnight trips up-country then it gets folded and flattened into my main case for the return home.

hot_fiat

I once got to put my (stuffed to the gunnels) 100L Mountain Equipment bag on as Carry-on as the dimwit at O’hare couldn’t comprehend that I wouldn’t be getting on my connecting flight from Schiphol. “…but what will you do once you get to Amsterdam?” “not get on the flight to Newcastle” <cue looks of disbelief at a passenger expressing free will>.

jekkyl

just don’t threaten it’s master.

hatter

Rarely leave the country without THIS in tow these days, perfect for 2-5 day business trips.

Didn’t think much of the ‘backpack’ option until I had to lug it around Venice for the day, Venice doesn’t have more than 3 feet of flat pavement in the whole city so not having to drag it was fantastic, then when I got to the station the straps disappeared and back it went into roller mode, genius.

Looks smart as well, very business friendly.

wingnuts

I just use an IKEA case with wheels. Proved great value for money and amazingly durable.
    As a frequent flyer in Europe I’ve noticed how fussy they’re getting with hand luggage now. Whatever you get must hold the shape or you could get it rejected.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

For carry on, I use a Timbuk2, plain black. That way, when im away, ihave a bag that can do everything from business meetings to a day at the beach.

Checked in? Samsonite. Nothing else is anywhere near as good. I have a big Animal bag for holidays, though, but that doesn’t get as much abuse.

willard

I normally use something like this: http://www.juno.co.uk/products/magma-lp100-profi-bag-black-red/341701-01/

Just about the right size and holds a lot of stuff. I think they do rucksack versions, but I have to admit that the rolley/wheeled things make more sense (if also looking a bit silly)

gribble
    Free Member

Osprey 40L Farpoint. Rucksack job, cabin bag size compliant and will take a lap top and enough stuff for a week. Straps fold up and can be covered by a zip up pouch, so works for check in too.

I look like a hobo though.

geoffj

Tumi luggage is excellent – you do pay a premium although it is justified IMHO.

Edit: I have that Tatonka too ¥¥ It’s very good, but not Tumi good

chewkw
    Free Member

Check the sizing carefully as some airline can be rather fussy about it.

Both these are very well designed with good material used.

Tatonka Suitcase Flightcase, 55 cm. Very good review on this one but I don’t like black colour and I think the size is 2 cm more than permitted Ryanair sizing … 😆

Amazon

I bought this recently … I love Lemon colour me.

Tatonka Flightbarrel Bag 35L ( will fit most airline)

Amazon again

p/s:

geoffj – Member

Edit: I have that Tatonka too ¥¥ It’s very good, but not Tumi good

Tumi is not the standard Rynair size and put it this way if you can fit Rynair you can use it on most airlines. International hand carry is 7Kg for some so watch out.

geoffj

Tumi is not the standard Rynair size

I try very hard not to use Ryanair

chewkw
    Free Member

geoffj – Member

Tumi is not the standard Rynair size

I try very hard not to use Ryanair

I never used them at all but in terms of hand carry bag they are the lowest … 😆

benp1

Lowe Alpine TT Carry On 40 for me. Used to use a wheel along Wenger bag but its easier with a convertible when moving around, slightly more of a pain in check in and security queues in the airport though

Used to travel a LOT for work, now nowhere near as regular but still more than most.

Did 7 days in Malaysia in Summer last year, all in one bag. Off to Hungary tomorrow for 3 days and will be using the same bag again.

I can’t remember the last time I checked in a bag for business travel (don’t really travel for family stuff due to v young kids and CBA!)

iainc

I am away a fair bit on one night business trips by air and use one of these. Ideal bag

wallop

There is an Antler outlet store in Gloucester Quays which has a massive range of cases and they offer really decent advice on which airlines allow which sizes.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Carry on luggage’ is closed to new replies.