• This topic has 121 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Jamze.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 129 total)
  • Caroline Flack RIP
  • Poor lass, a sad waste.

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

This is no great surprise tbh. You’re both quite old.

Age might have something to do with it but also (as I now know from googling) her career was made for and with the vacuous. If you have a brain or value your entertainment more challenging than the equivalent of baby food you would not have seen much of Ms Flack.

Her world seems to be a world where you must court publicity to get on and seemingly participants crave attention. Can you reasonably expect the press and the great unwashed on social media to give you the props you need/want and non of the beef? Is it self selecting – the sort of needy skin deep people that crave to live in this world are the most vulnerable to it’s dark side.

Sad thing is that surveys of young people have this dross right up there in there career/life aspirations. It appears from the poor woman’s story it probably pays to be careful what your wish for.

Ah, somebody else who feels the need to tell us he knew nothing about her. Ah well, I suppose if it helps you feel less vacuous, more power to you.

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

Ah, somebody else who feels the need to tell us he knew nothing about her. I suppose it makes you feel less vacuous.

No, I was commenting on the story.

She made shit telly for morons. She appears to have been quite good at it. It is pertinent to the story. It’s the social media outpouring of dribblers and the media designed to appeal to dribblers i.e. the target market for her work that appear to have made a bad situation worse with a very sad end.

Premier Icon kilo
    Subscriber

If you have a brain or value your entertainment more challenging than the equivalent of baby food you would not have seen much of Ms Flack.

obvs apart from her being on one of the most watched shows on bbc1 on Saturday and Sunday prime time.

Very sad, RIP.

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

obvs apart from her being on one of the most watched shows on bbc1 on Saturday and Sunday prime time.

50% of the population are statistically intellectually subnormal 😉

I dont think she was on it for her intellectual input ( STM – failed every exam he has ever taken so I’m no brainiac)
    Use Twitter , Facebook , Instagram to enhance your carreer , keep you in the public eye , get more hits , get more likes , get more retwits etc
    Buy in talent to tweet for you / advise on levels of tweeting , where and when etc
    Pose for the Paparrazi outside the latest go to joint , with a guy who enhances your media profile
    Then when it goes slightly wonky the knives come out , and the backlash is expotential , a public person is available online for direct , pretty much unmoderated, comments which ,as we like to say on here – What has been read cannot be unread

Unless you are spectaculaly thick skinned and posses the ability to let this wash over you , ignore the tabloid headlines, go outside without being ”papped’ constantly then you , unfortuanlty , allow yourself to get dragged down with the allegations , he said /she said ,
    hurtfull and spitefull comments the gutter press made up headlines, ‘friends’ commenting on your state of mind ( its always a friend, sometimes a close one even)

Unfortunate way to persue a carreer , which as has been mentioned , is one many teenagers of today aspire to, and being paid by youtube to play fornite online whilst doing a running commentary

nealglover

Well, I had absolutely no idea who she was, I’ve never ever watched anything she’s ever appeared in, and I’d never even heard about the assault and court case, because I don’t read newspapers,……… I also don’t do any social meeja.

Yep. I believe all that. No issue with it at all.

There you are, feel free to have a go at me for telling fibs if you want.

What I don’t believe at all, is that the first result on Google was about the assault charge.

I have access to Google too, and the first two pages were unsurprisingly full of the news of her death, no mention of the assault charge.

I don’t read newspapers, or have the slightest interest in the more prurient aspects of modern reporting.

Strange then you waded straight in like a tabloid journalist with a faux “question” about if this was the same person who was awaiting trial for assault.
    Could Google not have cleared that mystery up for you seeing as you were already apparently there, seems odd that you would leave google to come on here and ask the “question”

Like I said. Seems unlikely

I’d just ask that anyone who doesn’t have a clue who she is, please keep your posts short and snappy. Some of us who knew who she was might not be able to handle a reply longer than a tweet or instagram.

tpbiker

Age might have something to do with it but also (as I now know from googling) her career was made for and with the vacuous. If you have a brain or value your entertainment more challenging than the equivalent of baby food you would not have seen much of Ms Flack.

Funny then that even my 70 year old mum knew who she was…A woman who I’d wager is significantly better educated and intelligent then yourself, judging by your posting history..

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

I have access to Google too, and the first two pages were unsurprisingly full of the news of her death, no mention of the assault charge.

Not when this thread was first posted. I reckon the third link (or thereabouts) mentioned the forthcoming court case.

Having said that. it was easy enough to follow the link and do a quick “catch-up” on the background. As you say, no need to then ask the question again on here.

Premier Icon reluctantjumper
    Subscriber

Anybody else appalled at the reaction by The Sun and The Daily Mail to all the criticism they’re getting for their coverage of her recently? The Sun has even had the balls to say their nasty clickbait stories had nothing to do with it and that it is the CPS and ITV that should wholly shoulder the blame!!

Guardian piece about it.

mooman

Is it self selecting – the sort of needy skin deep people that crave to live in this world are the most vulnerable to it’s dark side.

Sad thing is that surveys of young people have this dross right up there in there career/life aspirations. It appears from the poor woman’s story it probably pays to be careful what your wish for.

This^^

It seems that every person under 30 years old craves attention like they are some sort of celebrity; silly pouting poses on Instagram and nonsensical musings on Facebook .. craving the likes etc.
    It is very sad for any person to feel that killing themselves is the only way to end their misery. Ms Flack was a 40 year old woman who will have known the industry she was in well enough to know the tabloids would be reporting everything she did … its all part and package of her part in UK celebrity.

A concern that has not been mentioned here within all the usual silly squabbling is that as a role model to many young girls/women. Ending her life as she did may influence others with mental illness and poor coping strategies to copy her.

* I am also old; never watched any of her programs … but am aware of her. Pretty sure she had been on Celebrity Juice a few times.

RIP Caroline Flack

It seems that every person under 30 years old craves attention like they are some sort of celebrity;

* I am also old

Rockape63

Top legal bod on bbc breakfast this morning, explains the details of the case and how/why the decisions were made.

Also, it seems the main cause of her decision, was because she was terrified of the upcoming trial and how it could turn into a circus. This guy said that he had been involved in six previous trials in which people had taken their lives in the lead up and suggested that those taking the decision to prosecute, needed help too. What a mess!

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

Obviously, we don’t want people killing themselves in fear of media intrusion, but we can’t not have justice to avoid that either.

It really seems to be about a lack of support to a vulnerable person who should have been able to find a way out of the rabbit hole she chose to go down.

I’m not a fan of the idea of a privacy law as it would be abused by many, but we have to get a grip on the desire of a lot of the public to want to pry into things that are frankly none of their business, and stop the industry around that from existing

Premier Icon piemonster
    Subscriber

Nothing to add beyond a news article on the assault charge was on the first page of google results for me.

Premier Icon kilo
    Subscriber

This guy said that he had been involved in six previous trials in which people had taken their lives in the lead up and suggested that those taking the decision to prosecute, needed help too.

In a previous role we would arrest people, do PACE interviews to gather evidence and then, unless they were completely exonerated there and then, we would do a recorded “suicide interview “ to ascertain their state of mind and detail organisations who could assist them so they didn’t kill themselves. This wasn’t at the behest of those who decide to prosecute, The CPS are far removed from most initial phases of the investigative process, overworked and a bit not fit for purpose at times, but a response to the high percentage of offenders offing themselves in this particular work stream. Unfortunately this step is resource intensive (for us, the custody suite staff and possibly the duty brief) and I am not aware of any evidence it works. We received no specific training just a pro forma to go through. Also some offended would just not engage – either through their own thought process or following on from legal advice – and this was offenders who tended not to be career criminals and almost always copped a plea. Trying to run mental health triage with normal criminal suspects – in the present circumstances it would be chaos and it’s not a job for investigators. The whole judicial and law enforcement system is borked and creaking – years of cuts coming home to roost.

50% of the population are statistically intellectually subnormal

50% are below average. Subnormal has a different meaning.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

This guy said that he had been involved in six previous trials in which people had taken their lives in the lead up and suggested that those taking the decision to prosecute, needed help too. What a mess!

Not sure what exactly your trying to say.

Are you saying the CPS shouldn’t prosecute people if that might affect their mental health? Or that the CPS are psychopaths incapable of feeling guilt even if they’ve not done anything wrong?

We’ll probably get more details this week once the CPS makes the evidence public but it seems she hit him with / threw something at him that then required him to go to hospital. And then like a lot of domestic violence cases he didn’t want to support the prosecution.

What if hypothetically it had been the other way around and we were discussing a person killed by a violent partner that hadn’t been prosecuted because the victim didn’t want to support the prosecution?

Premier Icon richmtb
    Subscriber

Compare and contrast these events with Ant McParlane.

Both celebs that made high profile “errors” One was given time to sort themselves out. One was hounded to their death.

But then, only one of them was a woman.

greenskin
    Subscriber

I don’t think gender is an issue in that regard, it’s about revenue generation. I would argue that the duo are a bigger earner for ITV than Ms. Flack. Got to protect those assets, right?

So it’s likely the same machine that kicked in to insulate Schofield from the rumours circulating most likely kicked into to protect Ant and left the asset with the most liability in the cold.

Makes it no less **** tragic though.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

Both celebs that made high profile “errors” One was given time to sort themselves out. One was hounded to their death.

By the press perhaps, but he was still prosecuted.

Epstein?

I don’t think gender is an issue in that regard, it’s about revenue generation. I would argue that the duo are a bigger earner for ITV that Ms. Flack. Got to protect those assets, right?

Don’t think ITV was the problem.

Inbred456

I was pretty shocked by this news then saddened that a young person felt the only way out of this mess was to take their own life. Maybe I’m a bit old fashioned about things but why did the boyfriend feel the need to go and report this to the police knowing full well that it would open a massive can of worms. Why not just Man up and walk away.

greenskin
    Subscriber

I do. We’ve seen the PR machines kick in insulate celebs before. They have a huge part in steering column inches. She was left exposed and got absolutely hammered, the rags led the way, the mouth-breathers followed and piled-on.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Ant had long-running substance abuse issues which culminated in drink-driving and legal bother IIRC. I believe he then did a tell-all in exchange for favourable coverage and things being couched in the usual “prescription drug addiction” BS terms.

Industry talk is that he shouldn’t have been allowed to continue partying so hard for so long, but there wasn’t really an effective support network around him.

Things could have ended differently for him TBH, but he probably had more support in the end because he’s massively more successful and a mainstay of Saturday night TV. Not because he’s a bloke.

Premier Icon richmtb
    Subscriber

I don’t think gender is an issue in that regard, it’s about revenue generation. I would argue that the duo are a bigger earner for ITV than Ms. Flack. Got to protect those assets, right?

There may be some truth in that, but there is an entire section of the tabloid industry that seems to be devoted to building up and then tearing down women. The “sidebar of shame” is almost exclusively stories about female celebrities, its completely toxic.

Anyway RIP. I hope some change is brought about by this death but I won’t be holding my breath.

Why not just Man up and walk away.

Because they both required hospital treatment after the assault.

Premier Icon oikeith
    Subscriber

But then, only one of them was a woman.

I dont think sex, gender or race came into this, I think she simply had fallen into the spotlight trap of surrounding herself with the wrong people who then when needed to be friends were not.

This seems to happen to everyone that finds the spotlight such as footballers or actors etc

Rockape63

Not sure what exactly your trying to say.

Are you saying the CPS shouldn’t prosecute people if that might affect their mental health? Or that the CPS are psychopaths incapable of feeling guilt even if they’ve not done anything wrong?

Well, if I’ve not been very clear….I’m saying that when something like this happens, you hear all the various details from all the different sides and realise its a mess and even in hindsight, you can see it would be difficult to stop things escalating.

Before this happened, I had little sympathy for her as, she’s clearly made things difficult for herself. ‘Dating’ a 17 year old Harry Styles, her ex fiance making public statements about her violent behaviour, and then smashing a lamp over the head of her sleeping boyfriend….all of which suggests that she was ‘troubled’. All rather tragic really!

greenskin
    Subscriber

@richmtb totally agree mate, I think it’s sickening that to stay ‘safe’ women have to court those who look for the stories.

It’s deal with the devil and eventually he comes for your soul, dragging all the mouth-breathers who hoover that shit up along with them for the feast.

But it’s supply and demand, regulating the messenger isn’t going to stop the demand. You’ll just see more bullshit flying around social media, if that’s even possible.

razorrazoo

Maybe I’m a bit old fashioned about things but why did the boyfriend feel the need to go and report this to the police knowing full well that it would open a massive can of worms. Why not just Man up and walk away.

For whatever reason (and this may change depending on which version of events you read) the police were called at the time of the incident, not a post incident call to the police to report an issue.

For a moment, let’s take the fact it was a well known celebrity out of the equation. In terms of the court case, ‘manning up and walking away’ is exactly what the DV law is designed to prevent right? I.e. in a genuine case of domestic abuse, it ensures that the victim is not cowed into not pressing charges if there is a case to answer. If the accused did not have a case to answer, then one would hope that this would play out in court and they would be cleared. Alternatively if the full evidence warranted prosecution, then so be it.

All this aside, the way in which the media are allowed to bully people on the tenuous idea that if they earn money from being in the spotlight, then anything is fair game, is disgusting. The red tops are already creating huge amounts of click bait on sympathy articles, which given what they were publishing only a few days ago, is incredibly disingenuous. Sadly I can’t see any real lasting changes being made.

greenskin
    Subscriber

@Rockape63 it is isn’t it. It would be good if we viewed all those who commited these sorts of offences as ‘troubled’ but we usually default to ‘burn them’. It is interesting to see how many are trying to explain away her ‘alleged’ offences, fair amount of deflection going on. That isn’t a MRA slant, just an observation. Just shows the hypocrisy and bias we all have.

But maybe that links to the failures you’ve touched in and the secret Barrister goes into at length. There’s very little rehabilitation in the criminal justice system.

It’s why reoffending rates are so high, which you obviously deal with quite regularly I’d imagine. The system is broken.

Premier Icon Jamze
    Subscriber

Then when it goes slightly wonky the knives come out , and the backlash is expotential , a public person is available online for direct , pretty much unmoderated, comments which ,as we like to say on here – What has been read cannot be unread

This is the difference now. Reality TV and celeb culture have been around a while, I remember all the ‘Nasty Nick’ stuff in the press, but now you have a screen in your hand 24/7 full of abuse and death threats. Must be a nightmare.

greenskin
    Subscriber

@Jamze trudat. I scrolled through Facebook wish morning, first notification was a mate giving me shit with some funny meme.

He obvs got it back, I couldn’t imagine scrolling through messages of hate and bile, my newsfeed and timeline full of shit stories about me.

Crushing is the word, I can see why higher profile celebs have SM managers who take care of that for them.

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

If you flip the genders I don’t think a man would have had an easier ride. Shagging a 17yr old when you are 31 and charged with beating your sleeping partner would arguably have made you more of a public pariah as a man than as a woman.

greenskin
    Subscriber

Absolutely factual @convert. We should rightly not be impressed with anyone carrying on in this manner, to do otherwise does a disservice to victims. But we could and should temper that displeasure.

But social media gives a voice to everyone, all thinking in isolation not thinking about the effect it will have.

Ironically seeing it on twitter threads today about her death, the bile and vitriol. People are **** stupid.

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

I scrolled through Facebook wish morning, first notification was a mate giving me shit with some funny meme.

He obvs got it back, I couldn’t imagine scrolling through messages of hate and bile, my newsfeed and timeline full of shit stories about me.

I guess it is how you manage it. I know personally one relatively famous person to call a friend (rather than just know them). He has insta, twitter and facebook accounts as his known name but much of the feed for that is managed by other people or he does it when he has his work head on. All the accounts for those profiles go to his work phone. Then he has a separate personal phone and entirely separate social media accounts using his nickname and it’s only friends that use that. That is the phone he looks at over coffee in the morning. He is pretty grounded with a brain and a great family which I guess helps him to keep it all in proportion.

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

If you flip the genders I don’t think a man would have had an easier ride.

Derek Mackay, MSP.

Premier Icon kilo
    Subscriber

beating your sleeping partner would arguably have made you more of a public pariah as a man than as a woman.

Sir Geoffrey Boycott, Mel Gibson, Wesley Snipes, Jonny Depp etc may disagree

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 129 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.