Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)
  • Caroline Flack RIP
  • reluctantjumper

Always sad to hear about someone taking the ultimate decision, especially as I’ve been down that road (although not to the destination).

What makes it even more sad is that I met her through work a few years ago and she was lovely to talk to, totally opposite to what I thought she would be. Thoughts are with her family and as for the press? They can shove one, all they do is prey on the weak and gullible.

macdubh

Such a shame, my daughters thought she was stunning and had everything going for her. Not quite a role model for them but a definition of success. From what i read of her court case the CPS went against the boyfriends wishes and proceeded with the case.

Is this common if the victim doesnt want to prosecute the CPS proceed anyway? Maybe he knew she was struggling? Clearly had a huge affect on her. Add in the tacky tabloid ‘sell a story at any cost’ mentality and thats a huge burden to bear.

I think a number of organistations / people should be held accountable, including Police, CPS, Tabloids, ITV, social media trolls!

Poor girl, RIP

teethgrinder

@greenskin
    Nail
    Head

You buy the tabloids, your fault.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jimdubleyou

Is this common if the victim doesnt want to prosecute the CPS proceed anyway?

In domestic violence cases, yes.

Feel for her friends and family.

greenskin
    Free Member

@macdubh Yes, positive prosecution is standard in DV cases. Usually though as the victims are women nobody gives a good goddam shit as to why the perpetrator is violent.

Nobody seeks to dress it up MH and they literally want to burn them at the stake. The double standards are horrific.

The changes in the law were brought about to help protect those that may be under the sway of a violent partner. Media and those who had a hand in this are all making noise to deflect from their culpability.

robowns
    Free Member

This is the person awaiting trial for assault by beating, yes?

Had a fight with her BF, BF said he was fine the day after. Worth dieing for?

halifaxpete

Not familiar with any of her work but very sad news. We all make mistakes I’m sure, as said the media have played a big part in this.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I think a number of organistations / people should be held accountable, including Police

Why?

peajay

Very sad, don’t understand why sharkbait and Rich-s are taking a telling off here though.

Caher

Very sad, don’t understand why sharkbait and Rich-s are taking a telling off here though.

Agree, I thought they got a bit of kicking for not being too outrageous.
    And yes very tragic 40 is no age.

olly2097
    Free Member

Caher

Subscriber

Agree, I thought they got a bit of kicking for not being too outrageous.
    And yes very tragic 40 is no age

Its STW. People are allowed to be righteous and holy here.

I’ve never seen love island or even heard her speak, my first question when a colleague was talking about it earlier: “is she the one who beat her boyfriend?”
    Must make me a bad person.

Anyway, it’s been a few hours, nobody here actually knows why she killed herself.

Meanwhile let’s keep berating Rich-s and calling him a scumbag because that’s ok.

tomd
    Free Member

The UK has an odd taboo which is you can’t say anything bad about recently dead people. Combine this with the trend towards complete emotional incontinence and here we are.

This is a tragedy for her friends and family. Another casualty of our celebrity culture. I’d agree with the above comments that folk who click on the sidebar of shame, read the scrappy gossip etc are complicit in fuelling this.

martymac

I wonder if people would be quite so sympathetic if caroline had received a beating from her boyfriend, she insisted she was fine the next day, but then he killed himself after being crucified in the gutter press?
    I’d never heard of her before this tbh, but I don’t think she deserves to die because she flung a mobile phone at her boyfriend ffs.
    Maybe the gutter press should be regulated to only print stuff they have actually proven?

kerley
    Free Member

Frankly it’s about time the press was held accountable for this sort of shit. Nasty hate rags like the Sun and Mail should be banned. Screw freedom of speech when it’s so frequently abused..

Agree. Free speech is about things like being able to criticise the government, not harass people, be openly racist etc.

boomerlives
    Free Member

The UK has an odd taboo which is you can’t say anything bad about recently dead people.

I think it’s more the disconnect between slebs and real people. If it was someone you knew you would be a bit more likely to remember they are actually people who have relatives who care about them, and you may have a smidge of empathy.

scotroutes

FWIW I had no idea who she was either. Googled her name as a result of this thread and the second or third search result mentioned her forthcoming court case for assault.

MoreCashThanDash

A bit frustrated by the hypocrisy of people on social media who I know hoover up all the gossip and tittle tattle, now blaming social media but not themselves

swavis

Very sad, RIP Caroline.
    I only knew who she was because of strictly come dancing. I had no idea about the assault charges against her but then I don’t read shit like the sun.
    I think greenskin has it spot on!

raybanwomble
    Free Member

@Rich_S You’re fooling nobody, you’ve either tried to be funny, or been a bit of a scumbag about somebody who appears to have taken their own life after suffering from a degree of mental illness.

Although to be fair on Rich_s, if this had been about Charlie Sheen killing himself whilst up on charges of domestic violence instead of a hot blonde lady, this thread wouldn’t exist.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Just to clarify, she had smashed a lamp on the head of her sleeping boyfriend and the boyfriend called the police and when they arrived he was drenched in blood.

Despite him deciding not to press charges, the police /CPS decided that if it had been the other way round it would not be able to be dropped. Therefore they took the even handed approach.

The fact that she was then barred from contacting her boyfriend seemed a bit extreme, so she was left to soak up all the crap being flung at her….alone!

RIP

Klunk
    Free Member

The fact that she was then barred from contacting her boyfriend seemed a bit extreme, so she was left to soak up all the crap being flung at her….alone!

surely that’s part of the even handed approach of which you speak. Had it been the other way around letting the boyfriend/abuser access would be criticized.

greenskin
    Free Member

Secret Barrister has a very apt thread on how we treat the accused in this country. There have been plenty of non-slebs who have killed themselves whilst dealing with the pressure of criminal accusations.

There is very little thought to the welfare of those accused who until the acceptance of or delivery of a verdict have been convicted of anything. It isn’t an either or, you can consider both the victim and the accused.

All points to society at large and how polarised we really are. Apply often hypocritical moral codes to others.

tpbiker
    Free Member

she had smashed a lamp on the head of her sleeping boyfriend and the boyfriend called the police and when they arrived he was drenched in blood.

Tbf her boyfriend disputes the cps version of events, and as the key witness their case wasn’t exactly watertight was it.

Either way, they pushed ahead, and that’s one of the reasons (amongst others) she is now dead.

greenskin
    Free Member

@tpbiker as is often the case in DV offences. Damned if they do and damned if they don’t. Plenty of examples of victims being killed after going back to their partners.

It’s for that reason many charities and groups that support victims of DV campaigned for positive prosecution.

Sandwich

Despite him deciding not to press charges

This is not an option in our criminal justice system, thanks to the Secret Barrister for this knowledge. The CPS gets to decide if the case is ‘in the public interest’ and sometimes does not proceed if they can not reach the threshold set in legislation. (This lack of complainant choice is what lead to the sado-masochists being prosecuted for A or GBH some time back.

chakaping
    Free Member

This definitely seems like a good time to push the men’s rights agenda, well done guys.

:rolleyes:

I wouldn’t presume to know what made her take that terrible decision, but I suspect it’s not as simple as social media or the tabloid press driving her to it.

FWIW I used to write stories about her when I was a showbiz hack, she was a bit of a hero to readers for dating Harry Styles while a fair bit older than him – and she seemed to be charming and funny as well as a handsome lass, with more girl-next-door than supermodel looks. Women loved her basically.

A bit frustrated by the hypocrisy of people on social media who I know hoover up all the gossip and tittle tattle, now blaming social media but not themselves

This is a good point though. What she allegedly did was wrong and reporting on it was fine. If there’s a failure here perhaps it was in her personal support network.

greenskin
    Free Member

Try to restrain yourself from being a cock eh?

It’s actually a fair point. As for her network, I think there’s a spot where she states friends found her draining.

I think she was more isolated than many would like us to believe. A waste of life however you feel.

avdave2

This of course extremely sad and a terrible waste of a life but was she not part of the culture that exploits the vulnerable for entertainment and profit. 2 previous contestants on Love Island had killed themselves but she was happy to keep on presenting it. Her career was built on the coverage she got in the tabloid press and on social media, all those who live on that should know that at some point it will turn on them. There is always a need for another sacrifice and no one is immune

As for the cps wanting to press ahead with the prosecution 173 people were killed in domestic violence incidents in 2018. I wonder if there was a single case where the fatal attack was the first one. I doubt it. And I wonder how many of those victims at some point defended their attacker. I don’t think there is any problem with  prosecuting wherever there is evidence but those accused should be presumed innocent until proven guilty and the press is no place for pre-trial speculation. I also think trials should be as timely as possible. It seems people have to wait a long time under suspicion before they have the chance to clear their name. It must be almost intolerable to know you are innocent but to have to live under suspicion. Whether she was or not is now irrelevant but do we want to go back to the days of the police turning up at an address to be told by someone covered in blood that everything is fine and no no one has hurt them? I don’t think we do.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

I guess we could do domestic violence convictions based on a sliding scale of skin colour and gender.

Are you a black male? Go straight to jail, do not pass go.

A blonde white lady? Special snowflake that might kill herself, must be protected, so drop the case.

I assume with half the public being brexity racist lunatics we could make a public interest case for that kind of policy.

Sandwich

A blonde white lady? Special snowflake that might kill herself, must be protected, so drop the case.

Where did anyone say or imply that as I missed it?

avdave2 has hit the nail on the head.  Conservative government policy is to restrict court sitting dates causing a huge backlog, failing to maintain court buildings such that cases have to be de-listed, failing to ensure translation services are available in a timely manner and finally failing to ensure defendants are delivered in court from detention on the correct date. Justice delayed is justice denied.

somafunk

I also think trials should be as timely as possible. It seems people have to wait a long time under suspicion before they have the chance to clear their name. It must be almost intolerable to know you are innocent but to have to live under suspicion.

In a civilised and well run society that is how the criminal justice system should be run but unfortunately a certain element of society in this country seems to have elected a complete bunch of **** to rule over us for the previous 10yrs, read the secret barrister blog/twitter posts and you’ll soon realise that our justice system is not fit for purpose due to the cuts imposed

CountZero

I needed to Google her – top link was the assault charge.

Seems unlikely. But you know, if you say so.

Well, I had absolutely no idea who she was, I’ve never ever watched anything she’s ever appeared in, and I’d never even heard about the assault and court case, because I don’t read newspapers, or have the slightest interest in the more prurient aspects of modern reporting. I also don’t do any social meeja.
    There you are, feel free to have a go at me for telling fibs if you want.

scotroutes

Well, I had absolutely no idea who she was, I’ve never ever watched anything she’s ever appeared in, and I’d never even heard about the assault and court case, because I don’t read newspapers, or have the slightest interest in the more prurient aspects of modern reporting. I also don’t do any social meeja.

There you are, feel free to have a go at me for telling fibs if you want

Yep – same for me.

Drac

There you are, feel free to have a go at me for telling fibs if you want.\

Neil was referring to the result.

Kryton57

A tribute to a recently dead woman results in arguments and political agenda’s in less than 40 posts.   How very sad.

You all could at least have the respect to start another thread to argue on and leave this one alone.

I’d moot that this is now closed in memorandum and you can start your alternate conversations elsewhere.

boomerlives
    Free Member

You have to have a wry smile at zanelad having a go with ‘people like you pushed her to it’ (with extra invective,) while having a similar internet pile-on just like he is complaining about.

It’s the circular interweb, innit?

chewkw
    Free Member

I hope that she is at peace now.

Actually it is the opposite.

Have only seen her on telly for few minutes at a most as I am not really into those reality stuff whatever. She must be under a lot of pressure, not sure what, to push her to take her own life.

Now if you want to help then pray for her if you are religious. If you are non-religious type this is what you do, whenever you have done something good think of her. i.e. it is similar to dedication of merit to the departed (can do this for all departed).

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

scotroutes

FWIW I had no idea who she was either.

CountZero

Well, I had absolutely no idea who she was

This is no great surprise tbh. You’re both quite old.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Poor lass, a sad waste.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘Caroline Flack RIP’ is closed to new replies.