Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 111 total)
  • Carol Thatcher
  • surfer
    Free Member

Why so is that then hora? Because he found her language despicable and reported her? If she’s working for and being paid by the BBC (otherwise you and me ultimately) then he was damn right to report her. She was given the chance to unreservedly apologise – though I don’t understand what a reserved apology would have been…”well, I’m sorry this time but I reserve the right to have another go next week”. She’s obviously part of the brigade who are obsessed with the encroaching enlightenment that is supposedly killing off our language – isn’t it terrible that we can’t use those words in public anymore…just terrible I tell you.

Your making a huge leap here!
    I dont think her language is “despicable” just misguided and a bit silly. The fact that a great deal of our money will be diverted to investigate a “non event” is the criminal act here.
    The words we are refering to here will die out as the particularly nasty ones above have. We dont need an overly sanctimonious BBC to squander resources helping it on its way!

grumm
    Free Member

BTW -for supporters of Maggie, this must rank as one of the most disgraceful and disgusting outright lies ever told by a British PM

Lady Thatcher thanked her old friend for being an ally during the 1982 Falklands War – and for “bringing democracy to Chile”…

She added: “I’m also very much aware that it is you who brought democracy to Chile, you set up a constitution suitable for democracy, you put it into effect, elections were held, and then, in accordance with the result, you stepped down.”

He pretty much did the exact opposite, and murdered and tortured thousands of people in the process. I suppose when your mother is buddies with someone like that, you can see why calling someone a golliwog hardly seems crime of the century.

grumm
    Free Member

Thatcher was immediately challenged about the remark, but apologised only yesterday and dismissed the comment as a “joke”.

http://news.scotsman.com/entertainment/Golliwog—39joke39-may.4943436.jp

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Surfer, I can’t believe you are likening the use of racist language to simple name calling. I can sort of see where you’re coming from about the difference between perception and intent…any intelligent person can judge when terms are used to cause offence or whether it’s simple banter. However, this should not be used when it comes to terms such as “coon”, “****”, “****”, “raghead” etc etc. Enlightened society has decided that racist terms such as those we’ve been discussing are unacceptable, especially in broadcast or written media. Comparing and contrasting them with things like “shortarse”, “beanpole” is not really apples with apples is it?

You appear to want it both ways here. The word does not offend but as with the above words it is the connortations that they have.

I assure you I most certainly don’t. Everytime there’s a discussion here about racist language, there are those (you seemingly amongst them) that want to put every pejorative term into the same basket. If you find it upsetting that you’re being referred to as a “thieving scouser” (or something along those lines…I assume that’s the term to which you refer), then you should ask them to stop. But comparing it to CT referring to the tennis player (I assume it’s Tsonga) as looking like a golliwog is in a different category. I bet she wouldn’t have said it to his face had he been in the green room with her.

enfht
    Free Member

Commrade Grumm I think you need to chill out, maybe go on a march and make a difference.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I dont think her language is “despicable” just misguided and a bit silly. The fact that a great deal of our money will be diverted to investigate a “non event” is the criminal act here.

Well, I find it despicable that someone, in 2009, would use such language. Forgive me, but I thought the term “golliwog” is more or less accepted as unacceptable in enlightened society. Or perhaps there’s a “political correctness” dictionary to which I can refer?

grumm
    Free Member

Well I am ill in bed at the mo so no marching for me.

However, these are not nutty left wing conspiracy theories about Pinochet and Maggie – check it out if you want.

hora
    Free Member

grumm, slightly different on BBC’s ownsite. Doesnt read as lynch-mobbie to me:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7868401.stm

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Tsonga? This bloke?

I’m struggling to see the similarity, actually.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

one of the most disgraceful and disgusting outright lies ever told by a British PM

cf also;

I have abolished boom and bust

I have saved the world

British jobs for British workers

etc. etc. etc. Stop wallowing in the past and take a look at all the Brown lies in the here an now

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Lets try and stick to the topic Flash…can’t you just create another post if you want to have your daily pop at Brown, ta.

coffeeking
    Free Member

What about if she had used the word ‘****’ or ‘coon’, or ‘savage’?. Would that still be a storm in a teacup?

Besides, the main reason there seems to have been a fuss made is that she refused to apologise or admit that there was anything wrong with it.

No, it wouldnt have been a storm in a teacup, but from the little info we have I dont see any reason for her to apologise other than to the person involved if they are offended – she simply stated that he (in the context of discussing his hair at the time) looked like a cartoon character. She didn’t say he WAS a golliwog, or say “look at that golliwog”. To people of my age, golliwogs were nothing more than cartoon characters with no sinister meanings behind them, girls had toy golliwogs just as they had white toy girls and boys to play with, they were never seen as worse etc in any way. Maybe it is from this background that I see this as a vast overreaction, and maybe those who remember golliwogs as some sort of racial insult might find it upsetting, but I’d suggest wrongly. I dont know how far back it goes, certainly my mother who is in her 60s doesnt ever remember golliwogs being indicative of some sort of raial insult or indicator of slavery etc. I’d question the motives behind the person complaining, personally.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes cf what a sterling defence of tory policies & Thatcher (you lover her don’t you?) that is.

Keep trying to hijack though someone might fall for it

grumm
    Free Member

Flash did Brown’s lies involve murdering and torturing thousands of people in the name of ‘democracy’?

hora
    Free Member

If Thatch’ had said that Tsonga looks like a right f*ckin ‘spearchucker’[/b] then I could see it as offensive. Context. Lets not forget she is from an older/more inbred generation..

surfer
    Free Member

I assure you I most certainly don’t. Everytime there’s a discussion here about racist language, there are those (you seemingly amongst them) that want to put every pejorative term into the same basket. If you find it upsetting that you’re being referred to as a “thieving scouser” (or something along those lines…I assume that’s the term to which you refer), then you should ask them to stop

I dont want to put them all together and I made what I consider to be a distinction a few post back between words that thankfully are disapearing from use. The issues arise when bodies (the BBC in this case) want to include additional ones and become disproportinately indignant on our behalf. This becomes an emotive issue given the unique way they are funded.
    I understand the person wasnt called a Golliwog but was likened to one.
    I explained earlier that I was not offended by the two terms that I mentioned (and its usually more subtle than you have put it by the way!) however I feel your rush to be offended on peoples behalf is an over reaction and is a typical response to those trying too hard to be indignant and be seen to be a paragon of liberalism.
    Racial stereotypes are dying out fortunatley, I suspect the BBC’s self serving efforts will only re-awaken an unfortunate one to an audience that didnt even know it existed.

enfht
    Free Member

Flash did Brown’s lies involve murdering and torturing thousands of people in the name of ‘democracy’?

No but his lies do involve murdering the future of a once great nation, all in order to fuel his shortlived economic bubble

hora
    Free Member

slightly OT but just love how everyone including the Unions feasted off of the Government Miners compensation payments. Even Scargills Union took a cut. FFS. A final payoff.

enfht
    Free Member

no offence to the Greek STW massive!!

grumm
    Free Member

Those last two posts made no sense to me whatsoever 😕

Speshpaul

“But comparing it to CT referring to the tennis player (I assume it’s Tsonga) as looking like a golliwog is in a different category”

According to R4 you can’t be further from the truth!

It was Andy Murrey and slightly curly hair! You know the scottish guy.
    She’s a stupid cow, fair enough, but mountain from a mole hill anyone?

hora
    Free Member

Most importantly though. Would you? I would. Just to tick that box.

coffeeking
    Free Member

R4? The BBC refused to release the name of the person, didn’t they?

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

seems to me like her ‘collegues’ used the situation to get her sacked.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Personally, I couldn’t give a toss what the silly cow said, tbh. just another example of how money and privilege don’t necessarily equate to intelligence.

Speshpaul; I did think of Andy Murray myself, actually! But are we sure? I mean, I’ve seen no confirmed reports as to which player it actually was…

I don’t really blame Adrian Chiles for wanting to get rid of CT. I would do the same thing…

Flashy, back on topic, please. Don’t make excuses for the bitch.

Please hurry up and die, Maggie… please.

Speshpaul

R4 just before 9 this morning if you want to look it up.
    Adrian Childs was the other person in the conversation, although he may not have been the person who reported the “offence”

RudeBoy
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Most importantly though. Would you? I would. Just to tick that box.

Can we get some psychiatric help for this man, please?

Junkyard
    Free Member

he is beyond help padded cell no internet access no visitors

surfer
    Free Member

don’t really blame Adrian Chiles for wanting to get rid of CT. I would do the same thing..

Dont disagree however it seems spineless to me, if its him of course.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

According to R4 you can’t be further from the truth!

Ooops…point taken there. Jesus, she really is as stupid as she sounds then.

however I feel your rush to be offended on peoples behalf is an over reaction and is a typical response to those trying too hard to be indignant and be seen to be a paragon of liberalism.

I’m in no rush to be “offended on peoples’ behalf”. However, shouldn’t we all be offended when racist terms are used by anyone? If I was in a group of white people in a pub and one of them used a racist term, I’d be offended for sure, feel indignant too, and let the person know. Why is that an over-reaction?

The issues arise when bodies (the BBC in this case) want to include additional ones and become disproportinately indignant on our behalf

The BBC is simply reacting to the moral zeitgeist of our times. Obviously, I’m guessing here, but I can be sure she wouldn’t have used that term if there had been a black person in the room. And saying he “is” a golliwog or is “like” a golliwog isn’t that different – it’s the use of the word that’s being debated.

Racial stereotypes are dying out fortunatley, I suspect the BBC’s self serving efforts will only re-awaken an unfortunate one to an audience that didnt even know it existed.

“Golliwog” isn’t exactly a racial stereotype…it’s a word for a toy from more ignorant times when we thought it was fun to laugh at the “darkies” from the colonies. If some people had forgotten it existed or or didn’t know about it, then it’s worth a reminder every so often that this kind of “banter” is unacceptable.

FFS, there’ll be a call for the return of the Black and White Minstrel show next.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Don’t make excuses for the bitch.

You’ve just inferred she is an animal, surely that makes you as bad as a racist?

enfht
    Free Member

Are GOLLIES still acceptable as kids toys, or do you risk “justified” violence and/or your kids taken into care?

WipeOut
    Free Member

I don’t see what the fuss is about. It’s not as if, she’s pinned a yellow star on someone, thrown a brick through the window of their shop and then looted it, and marched them off to a gas chamber is it now.

hora
    Free Member

Yes I would. Same with Janet Street Porter. something soo wrong about her (but sexy)

Speshpaul

Rueters are now saying that it was NOT murray.

But lets face it if she did use that term to discribe a person of colour in the workplace, then she should be taken to task by of her employers.
    But i don’t know of many workplaces where that includes being sacked pretty much on the spot. (but i guess she might be a “contractor”)

Snigletrack
    Free Member

Yes I would. Same with Janet Street Porter. something soo wrong about her (but sexy)

What? Carol Thatch or JSP??? That’s so wrong.

Snigle
    :o(

Junkyard
    Free Member

WipeOut – Member
    I don’t see what the fuss is about. It’s not as if, she’s pinned a yellow star on someone, thrown a brick through the window of their shop and then looted it, and marched them off to a gas chamber is it now.

surely irony I hope anyway
    you realise all the above started with words , derogatory ones, mainly in Nazi rhetoric that led to the above dont you?

WipeOut
    Free Member

WipeOut – Member

surely irony I hope anyway
    you realise all the above started with words , derogatory ones, mainly in Nazi rhetoric that led to the above dont you?

Irony, as I know to well how the genocide began with words.

Irony, as nothing was done when it become more than words.

Snigletrack
    Free Member

Wipeout, I can’t see a throw-away comment by Cawol Fatcher starting a genocide.

Snigle
    🙄

RudeBoy
    Free Member

‘Gael Monfils not Tsonga’.

Maybe it’s just one of those things that you think, but it’s best not to say.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Carol Thatcher’ is closed to new replies.