• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Caribbean holiday options
  • nicko74

Morning all,
    Anyone been to any of the following and have any suggestions of whether it’d be worth a visit or not?
    St Kitts, Cayman Islands, Bahamas, St Maarten, Virgin Islands

I’ve got a bit of time and a work trip to Miami, so planning some autumn sun n sand, but can’t decide between them.

Thanks!

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Hurricane season, there’s one doing the rounds at the moment.

Although it’s not stopping us, we’re off to Aruba, (apparently doesn’t get hurricanes) early October.

morgs
    Free Member

Not been to any you meniton, but the Turks & Caicos islands are turely amazing

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lexiekay
    Free Member

When I was 16 I spent a month on Nevis (tiny island next to ST Kitts) which was amazing, lovely beaches, enough beach bars to keep me and my mate out every night, and some nice food I seem to remember. We did a couple of day trips to St Kitts which as far as I remember was also very nice. Went hiking in the rainforests too which was good. Don’t know how much things might have changed though – that was in 1996!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I went to The Bahamas in 2003 and it was awesome, I was lucky enough to stay fo 5 days in The Atlantis..it was crazy, cheesy but had a great time none the less. Then we stayed in pikey hostels for the other week. Lots to do, scenary amazing, easy to get to from Miami. Definately worth a trip to! Feel free to e-mail me about it if you have any further questions, haven’t been to the others.

wallop

I’ve been to St Maarten – I’d recommend it as it’s quite diverse and there is lots to do.

It’s split in two – French half and Dutch half. You know when you are on the French bit because the road surface suddenly becomes amazing!

Dutch side – Simpson Bay is lively, good if you like yacht spotting. Sunset beach is at the end of the runway – you can spend all say there looking at things like this:

Air France by ronnie101, on Flickr

The jumbo jet comes in once a week – it is truly a sight to behold! The hub of the massive lagoon is also Simpson Bay and you can do daft things there like a dinghy safari. Food and drink are cheap and the locals are friendly. Avoid Phillipsburg though – it’s the port town where the cruise ships come in and is a bit rough, but it is handy if you want cheap sunglasses or electronics (cameras and lenses are particularly cheap).

The French side is classier, prettier, more understated but possibly more dull for some. I found it beautiful and relaxing. Grand Case beach in particular is lovely (nice bars too).

Nightime Grand Case, St. Martin by ronnie101, on Flickr

Marigot is also on the French side – quite chic, lots of nice boulangeries and clothes shops.

Marigot Harbour by ronnie101, on Flickr

I’ve been lucky enough to visit a few Caribbean islands and I’d say St Maarten is one of my favourites (only St Bart’s tops it). Sadly I never got to visit the BVI, but apparently they are lovely. Don’t think I could spend two weeks there though.

I’d say the Cayman Islands are probably very Americanised, but I might be wrong. The only one you should probably avoid is Guadeloupe.

wallop

Oh, and the buses on St Maarten are mega cheap and run regularly across the island. Really easy to get around.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Off to Barbados soon(ish) and will report back!

donald
    Free Member

I’ve been to St. Kitts & Nevis.

We liked it but some might find it a bit quiet.

wors

i hear necker is nice at the moment.

nicko74

Necker? I hardly know ‘er!

IGMC
    …and take it to somewhere in the Caribbean. Thanks for the pointers!

bruneep

Off to Barbados soon(ish) and will report back!

Don’t go you’ll suffer the same post holiday blues as I have. Where you off to?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

West Coast, Bruneep. A nice relaxing soujorn of rum, Banks, wakeboarding and sleep! 🙂

UncleFred
    Free Member

Lived in the BVI for 6 years, loved it. If you’re coming from Miami you’ll have to transfer through Puerto Rico. St Maarten have direct flights from Miami, St Kitts I’m not sure about. Nevis is a ferry ride from St Kitts or a flight from Antigua.

Had trips to St Kitts and Nevis & St Maarten

BVI is great if you want a fairly chilled out time, but can be expensive as a tourist, really depends on what you want from your trip. For a total getaway, do nothing but read a book on beach holiday then consider Anegada. Not much to do there apart from Beach, Snorkel, drink rum, eat lobster. Hotels – Anegada Reef, Potters. You can get there by ferry or air via Tortola

North Sound on Virgin Gorda (where Necker is) is very pretty and fairly laid back with easy access to the rest of VG. Hotels Bitter End Yacht Club £££, Saba Rock ££ or Leverick Bay £. Again via Tortola. Good diving, good food, some hiking.

Tortola had a lot more going on, Sailing, diving, more nightlife, lots of expats, great beaches, try and avoid cruise ship passengers that can double the population on a 3 ship day. Hotels. Frenchmans Cay ££, Fort Recovery £££, Village Cay ££,Long Bay ££, Sugar Mill ££ Tamarind Club £, plus a few others.

All the beaches in the BVI are great although I’d avoid Cane Garden Bay (cruise ship passengers are bussed in there and the beach can turn into a sea of overweight, obnoxious Americans, demanding beach service from the bars)

If you have any specific questions, fire away and I’ll see if I can help.

DrJ

Not been to any you meniton, but the Turks & Caicos islands are turely amazing

+1 I was there at the end of April when the weather was turning, and the place was very quiet. Absolutely fantastic – soft beaches, snorkelling on reefs. (And work was paying 🙂 )

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Caribbean holiday options’ is closed to new replies.