Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Car/house keys, take to bed, hide downstairs, leave on show ?
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Good morning Mr Crim, my keys are just inside the front door in a small Pasta Bowl along with all my pocket change (which is overflowing BTW, so when you nab the keys.. clear out he sodding change to eh)

😆
    🙄

teethgrinder

Front (inner glass) door and back door have the keys in the locks, turned an extra quarter turn. No letterbox in glass door so can’t be fished, and hopefully the sound of breaking glass would be enough to wake me and ready the .22 zip gun ring the police.

rocketman
    Free Member

…to avoid them coming looking for them upstairs

Errr no

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Keep a set in the doors myself, so I can find them! The car keys are elsewhere and it usually takes me 10 minutes to find the damn things in the morning so they must be cunningly concealed!

That said, if someone does come through the door the rather large border collie tends to take offence. Actually – if anyone stands outside the door he takes offence and starts shouting about it. Tends to keep miscreants away 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

Not sure if this has already been said but is this really the best sort of information to be publishing on the internet?

I know you think you’re anonymous but I’m pretty sure unscrupulous with friends in the know would be able to find out who tou are.

LHS
    Free Member

at said, if someone does come through the door the rather large border collie tends to take offence. Actually – if anyone stands outside the door he takes offence and starts shouting about it. Tends to keep miscreants away

Having a dog is definitly the best deterrent.

hora
    Free Member

Do Burgulars always come upstairs? Why would they? Plenty to grab downstairs.

Saying that..an old friend of mine did 18months after he confronted a burgular on the stairs. I think he was sentenced as he hit the burgular but then followed him down the stairs and really laid into him in a bad way at the foot of the stairs.

Stoner
    Free Member

Blimey. I dont even lock the door when I go out.

Where do you lot live? Beirut c.1975?

hora
    Free Member

Yeah yeah stoner. Don’t act all innocent, you used to live in the midst of the Kosovan’s in West Hampstead 😉

jam-bo

I used to live near an estate in Plymouth known as little Beirut.

Stoner
    Free Member

Aye, hora.
    And Mrs S’ golf was missing it’s radio and airbag. So we didnt lock that either 😉

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

It’s a sad state of affairs that people even have to think about what they do with their keys at night.,I would question the area you live in if you do have to.
    I walk in, sling the keys down anywhere, and get on with stuff. This may explain why I can never find them in the morning though.

hora
    Free Member

I used to live on the Flowers estate in Southampton
    I used to live in Fartown/Sheepridge Huddersfield
    I live in a dodgy area of Manchester

Etc 😉

smaca
    Free Member

I had my house broken into for the keys to my Civic R. The car was used in an armed robbery a short while later.

Keys were downstairs on a key hook in the kitchen fortunately, even if I did keep a baseball bat under the bed, I’m not sure what good it would do me vs. a sawn off!

Cars are insured and will be replaced

neilnevill
    Free Member

I’m with Oliver and northern matt. Batteries are probably flat…but there to add weight.

Keys upstairs in the bedroom. Except front door keys, they are close to door, not in reach of letterbox and out of immediate sight.

ransos
    Free Member

Keys were downstairs on a key hook in the kitchen fortunately, even if I did keep a baseball bat under the bed, I’m not sure what good it would do me vs. a sawn off!

Precisely.

project
    Free Member

AS i fit locks for a job, its quite surprising how many times i get asked and refuse to fit locks on hardboard skinned interior doors, one kick and youre through, and in a fire how are you going to get out as most doors open into a room, so not so easy to kick in.

Fire and smoke kills burglars rarely do.

yunki
    Free Member

I used to live on the Flowers estate in Southampton
    I used to live in Fartown/Sheepridge Huddersfield
    I live in a dodgy area of Manchester

Etc

As my neighbour who leaves the keys hanging out of the front of their house said… ‘you’d have to be bloody mental to rob any of the houses round here’

MoreCashThanDash

My aging parents had a fire safety visit a few weeks back. Told to keep door keys in the lock. Better to get out than burn with your valuables?

gonzy
    Free Member

car keys stay in the living room. wife keeps the spare one in her handbag upstairs, along with her set of house keys. my house keys stay next to the car keys. they are in plain sight if you are in the room but cannot be seen from the outside. i never leave them in the door overnight.
    for security i keep an old 425mm blackspire seat post behind the front door and another similar seatpost under the bed next to the baseball bat for security.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Isn’t it a well known fact that if you live in a sink estate they are often the safest where you can leave your door open etc.? Pretty sure that anyone nicking stuff is known by someone nearby and often families look after each other thereby using almost a local (police) force to keep the areas “safe”ish.

Main problems are mixed areas like Hampstead, one side of the road is ohhh soooo niiiice and the other well dodge.. etc.. etc.. repeat around the country.

On the Farm we lock everything up, it’s near Harrogate and yet the sheds have been burgled 4 times in the last 7 years.. 🙄 What soes that say about “R’ogate, yah”? But we think it was probably (cough) “travellers” 🙄

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

My brother had his car nicked off his drive when thieves fished the key from the hall table using a fishin rod through the letter box, his 3 dogs slept through the whole thing. A neighbour phoned him to wake him as the theives were struggling to manouever his car out the drive. Apparently my house is “High Security” although no-one has been able to explain to me what that means exactly.

Key in the door, my letter box shares DNA with Crocodiles and Clams so good luck, the postie has never figured it out.

Big-M
    Free Member

Keys downstairs out of sight mostly, front door key is in the lock, but there’s no windows close enough for a burglar to break and access the key, unless he’s Mr. Tickle

I keep my claymore by my bed just in case, I have a clockwise staircase so plenty of room to swing it.

hora
    Free Member

his 3 dogs slept through the whole thing

About 5yrs ago when we had the pronounced earth quake in the NWest? I was awoken in the middle of the night by the bed being violently shaken/house shaking. I thought ‘oh Poltergeist’ and went back to sleep (before I did though I noticed the dog fast asleep on his back being shaken). Fat good guard dogs are..

carlosg
    Free Member

My brother-in-law had their previous house broken into , laptops/phones/electrics loaded into their cars (fully loaded golf gti/focus st). They only found out when they were shaken awake by the police to let them k ow they had caught the thieves after a car chase.

LHS
    Free Member

Depends on the dog. Had a few which are useless but most of them are really alert. Last Xmas i woke up in the middle of the night to tell mine to stop barking at the cats in the back yard only to see when i get to the kitchen door it wasn’t a cat but someone jumping back over our wall.

konabunny
    Free Member

You keep a clawhammer or pliers, screwdriver etc upstairs.

Pliers???? I’m gonna get within two inches and twist his nipples off?

yunki
    Free Member

Pliers???? I’m gonna get within two inches and twist his nipples off?

I always thought that a pair of snips would make a fun weapon, for tendons and stuff

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

door keys upstairs and handy in case of fire

saying that, there are spares elsewhere in the house – out of sight from the doors.

the first thing you’d see if a burglar poked their head around any of the doors is our noisy staffie, so we’d have a fair idea something was awry

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Pliers????

Maybe for the torture, once the perp has been aprehended?

hora
    Free Member

Get a mate to look really pissed off and to come towards you with pliers within a confined space.

Place a pair of pliers on your forearm, neck or anywhere else and gently squeeze then post back…

You’ll want to disengage and get away! A punch to the skull/head feels like a dull-thud doesn’t it. This doesn’t.

Again all hypothetical. I’ve never been in trouble with the law and I’ve no intention of.

jam-bo

You’ll want to disengage and get away! A punch to the skull/head feels like a dull-thud doesn’t it. This doesn’t.

Either you’ve got a skull 2″ thick or you’ve never been punched hard.

hora
    Free Member

I’ve had my head stamped on and I’ve been kicked in the head. Its a dull thud with adrenaline.

Nick

Erm where do you live Hora? Mogadishu?

hora
    Free Member

One of the times I was pissed and jumped after I’d defended someone (followed post-event). The first time after I had the nerve to walk away from a football ‘group’ as everyone was always getting arrested. The joys of youth .

amedias
    Free Member

Either you’ve got a skull 2″ thick or you’ve never been punched hard.

Homer’s Hora’s skull is a quarter inch thicker than the average skull (dubbed “Hora Singletrack Syndrome”) that protects him completely from cranial injury up to a certain point allowing him to be beaten by normal folk with no effect”

🙂

TiRed

Back on topic… Keys are left on the stairs. This to remind me to turn off the alarm in the mornings before heading through the garage without making my ears bleed! Frint door has a very large bold across, so keys are moot.

They are welcome to the car 😉

theotherjonv

We’ve got a dog so hopefully she’d make enough noise to disrupt or deter. If not – she’s only little and crated at night anyway so unlikely she’d be much of a defender.

Unless you’re a fox getting jiggy wid mrs fox in the garden. Then she screams blue murder enough to wake the house, the neighbours, and probably rouse the police 5 blocks away anyway, given last night’s experiences.

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Car/house keys, take to bed, hide downstairs, leave on show ?’ is closed to new replies.