Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • CarGarageTrackWorld
  • Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

Mate phones me this morning. Stupidly he’s taken his car to Kwik Fit for some work. He knows zero about cars.

Kwikfit have phoned him to tell him they’ve sheared the sump bolt when they were removing it, they can’t get the remnants of the bolt out and it’ll be a new sump which will be £1k including fitting.

They’re saying my pal has to pay as “it’s a common problem”

As he knows bugger all about cars he can’t argue the point but I’m of the opinion that if the garage broke it, it’s their problem to fix. He said they admitted the mechanic felt the bolt about to shear but carried on anyway.

Standard Kwik Fit scam or are they right???

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes
    Subscriber

Some sump bolts are designed to shear to prevent over tightening – don’t ask how I know this 🙂

The sump plug should come out with an easy out – like a reverse tap.

I’d suggest he collects the car and gets a second opinion.

If, as it sounds like, they’ve completely mullered it and damaged the sump threads when trying to get it out, it’s defo a case of them fixing it at their cost. At the very least, he should have been contacted when it first sheared and given the option of proceeding at his risk or not.

Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

The sump plug should come out with an easy out – like a reverse tap.

They claim it’s impossible. They’ve told him they use an engineering firm nearby for this stuff but they claim they’ve never been able to do it on this car.

It all sounds like typical Kwik Fit nonsense so on my recommendation he’s getting a transporter to take the car to my small garage who have an excellent reputation and have always seen me right.

If it is the worst case scenario it’s better getting them doing the job. I wouldn’t trust Kwik Fit to replace a sump as it needs the engine mounts loosened, engine hoisted up etc.

nickjb

If its a common problem then they should’ve warned him about it first abd asked if he was happy to take the risk. If they said nothing then it is their problem to fix IMO. Whether you trust them to fix it is another matter.

Premier Icon doomanic
    Subscriber

I’m actually surprised that a bunch of cowboys like Kwikfit are bothering to drain the oil at all; I’d expect them to use a syphon, badly, and leave a good quantity of the old oil in the sump.

They should definitely be billed for all the repair costs.

It’s not the place on Titwood road near Shawlands is it? They stripped a spark plug on an old Nissan of mine. Amazingly it still fired and I could drive it home. They had the cheek to try and make me pay for the service by handing over the new plugs. Nobheads.

trail_rat

you know whats great about sumps.

The threads ALWAYS well lubricated when you come to fit the bolt.

Sound to me like the apprentice didnt go the right way when upside down.

Premier Icon andybrad
    Subscriber

contact head office, file a complaint and ask them what they would like to do.

then small claims

Premier Icon finishthat
    Subscriber

Definitely best to get it sent to your trusted garage – what car? And what type of engine ?
    Kwikfit should have stopped and called him before issue.

joshvegas

How the hell can a new sump cost a grand.

I smashed mine on Christmas eve eve. Ordered a replacement for 30quid and fitted it the day after boxing day.

Presumably if its sheared in he can drive it away to not a bunch of knobs?

Premier Icon finishthat
    Subscriber

It can cost a grand if you have to take the engine out to do it , but that would be catastrophic as Kwikfit would break everything doing it. I would not be surprised if they are scamming to try to make up for lost work, they unfortunately do it at the best of times, its very sad that a company like this has such a bad reputation but basically they have to be fact checked on every job – what is almost worse is that some of the branches do a decent honest job , allowing the scammers to ride on their backs.

andrewh

Cost can vary. New sump for my Transit was £40ish, very easy DIY job.
    Neighbour’s 4×4 Panda has some of the bolts on the sump flange behind the gearbox, the sump itself is cheap…
    Anyway, I’m in the ‘they broke it, their problem’ camp, but I would be very reluctant to let them do it. What are the chances of getting them to stump up the cost of a proper garage doing it?

andrewh

Actually, I don’t know if this would be possible, but I once had a big metal bar welded onto a seized bolt, lots of leverage to turn it. I don’t know if there is enough bolt available to do this or how the heat of welding would affect the rest of the sump/ruin the thread/ignite the oil

Premier Icon duncancallum
    Subscriber

Proper garage will get that out. As above big nut and a mig…..

Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

It’s not the place on Titwood road near Shawlands is it?

Bingo!

bear-uk

As above I would weld a nut on to what’s left. It will not be solid on the threads as it won’t have snapped from bottoming out.

Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

How the hell can a new sump cost a grand.

I smashed mine on Christmas eve eve. Ordered a replacement for 30quid and fitted it the day after boxing day.

Presumably if its sheared in he can drive it away to not a bunch of knobs?

Sump costs £250

It’s a Z4

Quick check on the BMW forums shows it’s both engine mounts loosened, engine jacked up, other bits removed etc. All advice was it’s a big job so it’s £1k including fitting but again that’s Kwik Fit rates

They claim there’s no oil in it, as although the bolt sheared “there was a wee gap” which the oil apparently came out. Reading on the BMW forums some sump bolts are hollow so it’s a possibility that oil came out that way. And it can’t be refilled so it’s not driveable

If it’s hollow an easy-out should be a doddle.

They are so trying it on it’s untrue. Scumbags

Premier Icon duncancallum
    Subscriber

If its hollow it’s a peice of piss.

Drill it out and helicoil if the threads damaged.

That is a bread and butter repair to any decent engineer.

See if theres a mobile engineer who does site call outs

Subscriber

The sump plugs are hollow so that they can shear at forces above the correct torque, but can be removed using an easy out. My money is on them removing it to drain the oil and then over tightening and shearing it as they’ve refitted it.

Premier Icon Marko
    Subscriber

Poorly trained tech.

I’m not sure, but I’d not be surprised if the official factory method is to suck the oil out? Plus there are loads of sump plug repair kits available.

revs1972

Just tell them to leave the car where it is, and to not touch it , as you have called trading standards and that is what they have advised you to do , so they can come and inspect it.

Bullshit the bullshitters and see what they do next *

* my neighbour did this when a dealer fitted a second hand very worn clutch into the van they had sold him 2 months previous ( after the clutch went ). They fitted a brand new one quick sharp

dmck16

I’m another one to agree with the “garage broke it, it’s their problem to fix”.

(Would you mind recommending your usual garage too? I’m due to move through Glasgow way later this year, could prove handy – cheers.)

Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

Surprise, surprise

He got the car taken to my recommended local garage that I’ve used and have always been great.

They were busy so just managed to work on it today.

Kwikfit were adamant that the remnants of the bolt could not be removed so the only option was a full replacement sump which they quoted him £600 for the sump plus two full days labour.

My wee garage was able to get the bolt out and replaced with a new one, plus fresh oil and filter for just over £100

as a precaution, he’d ordered a new sump just in case. He got it from Germany for £250 vs the £600 Kwikfit quoted. He’s sending that back for a refund and I’ve told him to make a written complaint to Kwikfit head office and ask for some contribution towards postage for the sump plus getting the car taken to the other place.

So if you’re in the southside of Glasgow, avoid Kwikfit on Titwood Road (and anywhere else) like the plague, and I highly recommend Kingsway Service Station on Cathcart Road

Subscriber

Good result that.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.