Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Careful with that air freshener when you’ve been farting in the car
  • slowoldman
    Frankenstein
    Free Member

😂

fasthaggis

Yup,that must have been some amount of gas.
    Didn’t say if the driver was ok.
    Hopefully he just got a bit of a fright.
    blowback

tomhoward

Didn’t say if the driver was ok.

It (now?) does, minor injuries only.

fasthaggis

Thanks Tom ,the early story had nowt about him.
    So just minor injuries and a change of pants 😉

Cougar

Jesus wept, the state of that! How the hell did he come away with “minor injuries” rather than needing a spatula to scrape him off the seat?

Pyro

Mate of mine was in the pub nearby that ended up with a cracked window. SAid even they ended up with their ears ringing, so how the hell the driver didn’t rupture an eardrum I don’t know.

martinhutch

At least it doesn’t smell of weed any more.

PJM1974
    Free Member

This has all of the hallmarks of a prawn phaal I reckon.

The combination of combustible fumes and phaal fallout. Top Tip: Wind down the windows and let it waft out.

martinhutch

There must be CCTV of this for our entertainment.

globalti
    Free Member

Butane-filled aerosols are the small price we pay for CFC-free.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Jesus wept, the state of that! How the hell did he come away with “minor injuries” rather than needing a spatula to scrape him off the seat?

I’ve got a table somewhere with expected injuries Vs blast over pressure. It’s actually surprisingly high IIRC, 6-8psi to rupture eardrums. The flip side is they’re very sensitive to the type of explosion and orientation of the ear to the explosion. I dunno if anyone has ever modeled what happens to people at the center of a blast, usually it’s x energy at y distance (and pressure, speed of flame front etc) .

Bear in mind that’s PSI, so a 1PSI wave is like being pushed over by a ~400kg force (assuming a person presenting a surface area around 850 square inches, i.e. 6ft tall 1ft wide).

ThePinkster

I’ve got a table somewhere with expected injuries Vs blast over pressure. It’s actually surprisingly high IIRC, 6-8psi to rupture eardrums. The flip side is they’re very sensitive to the type of explosion and orientation of the ear to the explosion. I dunno if anyone has ever modeled what happens to people at the center of a blast, usually it’s x energy at y distance (and pressure, speed of flame front etc) .

Bear in mind that’s PSI, so a 1PSI wave is like being pushed over by a ~400kg force (assuming a person presenting a surface area around 850 square inches, i.e. 6ft tall 1ft wide).

That’s what I love about this place – people knowing stuff like that.

bruneep

Had a similar incident with a yoof going crazy with the lynx spray in his bedroom then lit up a spliff……blew his bedroom windows across the street!

avdave2

I dunno if anyone has ever modeled what happens to people at the center of a blast, usually it’s x energy at y distance (and pressure, speed of flame front etc) .

We had a blast tunnel to do just that, usually equipment and kit. Stuff was tested at various levels but it had to be still useable at the point where you’d expect 50% of your troops to be still able to function. We had some film that had been done years before I was there of actual ears being tested. These were from people who no longer had a need for them and they were fixed to boards. I believe it was a volunteers only job.

nickewen
    Free Member

What a dickhead. I hope his insurance company tell him to piss right off.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Some context (from google). Don’t know where these numbers come from but they’re in the ballpark of what I remember.

Note that some sources are citing deaths as a result of flying debris, or being thrown in the air, to the ground, into something etc. Others are injuries caused directly by the effect of over pressure. so 5psi will kill you because the building your in collapses, 45psi kills you because your rib cage collapses.

Structural damage to materials (7kpa ~ 1psi)

null

Injuries

null

Eardrums

null

Structural damage

null

paton
    Free Member

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/air-freshener-explosion-second-car-11130568

“You’re only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!”

Cougar

“You’re only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!”

^^ 2017 article, if anyone cares.

matt_outandabout

This has all of the hallmarks of a prawn phaal I reckon.

My first thought was that was some curry….

globalti
    Free Member

Those foghorn things you see above ski resorts use the same principle for dislodging powder snow.

Here – Gazex in action:

mariner
    Free Member

Anyone got a copy of the spoof VW car bomber advert or did they get it removed from YT?

halifaxpete

Was my brother in laws mate, he got off lightly some burns to his face IIRC

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Careful with that air freshener when you’ve been farting in the car’ is closed to new replies.