Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • career choice
  • ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Just after a bit of advice.

CUrrently work as a retail store manager, good pay good working hours etc, but am becoming increasingly dis illusioned with the whole thing, and reflecting on what it is I want. Dont necessarily enjoy my job and recently its got to the point where im getting depressed and not sleeping etc.

Thinking of changing jobs but couple of things as concerned I will not pick up the same salary circa 40k, now I under stand my health is paramount but I want to provide the same quality of life to my family.
    So would it be the right thing to do? What should I do maybe would like to get out of retail but then concerned im going to be even further down the salaryladder.

kevj
    Free Member

Out of interest, why do you think you will reduce your salary by moving on? Unless, of course, you have an idea what you want to do and it generally pays less.

Is it retail in general or just the product/ structure?

By all means move on for your own sanity, but try a different company with similar salary first.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Most career changes will involve the arse falling out of your wages for a few years. You need to reduce your desire for whatever is chewing up that much money and learn to live on a little less. Then decide what you want to do. Will your family really miss the trimmings for a few years? If you can’t see beyond the money, then suck it up and keep working for the mayn. 😐

EDIT: by “change”, I assumed you meant complete change rather than just moving jobs or sectors.

scotroutes

Decide if it’s a career or a job.

If the former, and you’re really not happy, then you are going to have to start again and that’ll almost inevitably lead to a (temporary?) drop in income. However, maybe your wife could make up some of that by working/increasing her hours?

If it’s just a job, then carry on doing it and focus your energies on what’s happening outside the workplace, content in the knowledge you have a steady income.

Garry_Lager

Decide if it’s a career or a job.

If the former, and you’re really not happy, then you are going to have to start again and that’ll almost inevitably lead to a (temporary?) drop in income. However, maybe your wife could make up some of that by working/increasing her hours?

If it’s just a job, then carry on doing it and focus your energies on what’s happening outside the workplace, content in the knowledge you have a steady income. It’s hard to say without knowing more about you, but this sounds like good advice from scotroutes. You’re a retail store manager, so I appreciate the temptation is there to say fk it, I’m retraining as a warrior poet. But 40K is 40K and it doesn’t sound like it’s cutting into your personal life. At a minimum, refocus on the personal side e.g. start some projects, ride your bike more, do more with the family. If the job’s still getting you down after that re-calibration, and give it some time, then I guess you do need to look seriously at a change of career.

jekkyl

Did you happen to see Skint last night? it’s put my money worries into perspective. 40k’s a decent salary.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Retail Manager here too, career started late 80s when you could actual Manage a store instead of managing ( massaging)KPIs .
    I find the job soulless now its 95% implementation and 5% imagination so I would also like a career change
    The trouble is what do retail Managers do instead? Hard call to find something else that the skills transfer to
    I have come to the conclusion that for the next 20 years I just have to suck it up and focus on the external parts of my life
    Good luck in your search

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Thanks for all the the advice, it is appreciated.

Dont get me wrong 40k is great. And yes the family could live without for a period of time.

it doesnt impact on family life yet, but im not happy in my current role. Is it a career, I dont think it is where I am, longstanding colleagues with little progression.

I need something that makes me want to come to work.

MAttzzzzzzz I feel and understand your pain. I worked for a retailer where they said right you are just just going to be shopkeepers, no conference calls, minimal meetings. Just know your targets and drive for them. Guess what it worked.

spacemonkey

Out of curiosity, are you the Ash that lived in Switzerland (Bern?) about 10 yrs ago? I was going to head over for the summer but couldn’t make it IIRC.

sweepy
    Free Member

In my view, if you wanted to go to work they wouldn’t need to pay you. A secure job that doesn’t make too many demands allows you a decent life and the time to enjoy it.

hmanchester
    Free Member

Recruitment companies look favourably on retail experience for new consultants. The plus points are work ethic and putting in the hours, customer focussed approach, used to working to targets, etc. Also your sector background would be very useful for a retail recruiter.

The question is, do you like sales?

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Space monkey im afraid not.

HManchester, never really thought about it, and see a lot of people go into recruitment from the retail sector. Im not adverse to sales, but couldnt say if I was particularly good at it.

hmanchester
    Free Member

Sorry, I didn’t reply to this which is very rude.

Not adverse to sales is a good start. It’s hard to know until you’ve done it.

If you:

Enjoy speaking to people, especially new people and it comes naturally
    Can handle rejection
    Strong work ethic
    Are persuasive, either by facts/personality or preferably both.
    Like to win

then it points towards having sales ability. That list is by no means exclusive but is relevant to recruitment.

Go on a few recruiters websites, (Maybe Michael Page, Hays, Robert Walters, etc) and have a look at their work for us pages and see what you think.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘career choice’ is closed to new replies.