Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Career change – any advice?
  • andyfla
    Free Member

Personally I would ask what you really love doing, Skiing, MTB, etc and see if you can get a job doing that for a few years or go and ride to Australia or something dumb

In a few years you will be tied down with kids, mortgage, etc and will be saying what if

I should say i did 2 ski seasons from 25 to 27 and don’t regret them at all, great memories, less what ifs and more settled me these days

joefm

It sounds like you have lots to learn in your current job and it should be expected at your wage level. Are you doing any formal training? I can’t imagine you have no guidance. There will always be crap with any job but if it’s not what you want to do then why deal with it?

I’ve never really known what to do and it wasn’t until a few years ago that I had no career and spent my time between here and the alps doing random jobs. I was a lot happier but it wasn’t sustainable (Don’t want to be a 40 year old pot washer) as luck didn’t go my way, injuries etc meant not working, no money etc. I had gotten a job on a building site and that would have followed on but I went and broke my shoulder. A friend is still in the same area doing similar work.

I don’t regret my time messing around at all though. I’d regret not having done anything like it when I get middle aged. You spend the best part of your life working and spend your retirement being old and unable to have that fun.

So I’d be tempted to do a runner for a while. You have a great hobby to use as a basis!

As for apprenticeships, as you’ve been to uni you will have trouble getting funding and employers won’t get their grants. But if you can arrange to fund it yourself (or employer if lucky) then you shouldn’t have an issue. What you have go going for you is you are not 16 and actually want to learn and do it and won’t **** about. A lot of employers will appreciate that.

If you struggle you can always take a part time course at your local vocational college. This will show you’re keen and not completely green.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Alexxx + 1

Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Career change – any advice?’ is closed to new replies.