Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Career change?
  • Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Junkyard…. Put the keyboard down. Its getting a bit embarrassing now.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what he said basically and why would i be embarrassed here exactly

Life coaches are selling you a product and they make their money by you attending courses

It works for some but being positive ALONE is not the answer and it is not good advice

read this page from your link
    http://www.careershifters.org/expert-advice/what-usain-bolt-can-teach-you-about-making-a-successful-career-shift

In the 100m, it’s not who’s got the longest arms, it’s not who’s got the strongest legs… the person who wins this race will be the one who is STRONGEST IN THE MIND.

Obviously, talent counts. And skill. And training. But on an equal playing field with ten men who have all done the 100m in less than 10 seconds , that’s the separator.

I could wirte a degree level essay but that is frankly bollocks

I may as well tell chris hoy to be positive as i launch him down the UCI world cup downhill course telling him to rely on his transferable skills and BEING POSITIVE…it could work but it is unlikely as he may need to retrain etc and his winning mental attitude ALONE wont really achieve success.
    Ps that will be £75 please Chris and same time next week?

Other folk seem to have grasped this is what I am saying and that i am challenging choices for I know how to do IAG

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Junk…..please please PLEASE stop. You are giving me a headache.

Coincidentally, what is the longest word you know for what you are doing?

xiphon
    Free Member

Junkyard, have you seen the film Little Miss Sunshine?

The father in the film is a classic example of what you’re describing.

(He’s a “Life and Positive Thinking Coach”, who’s failing miserably at life himself)

Junkyard
    Free Member

Junk…..please please PLEASE stop. You are giving me a headache.

Have you considered not asking questions like below?

Coincidentally, what is the longest word you know for what you are doing?

Futile , pointless?

one last time and using an extreme example to explain why we have standards – it is because we often have to say things folk dont want to hear- like this thread for example.
    I interviewed someone [ middle aged] who wanted to spend £8 k on DJ training via a private provider. When I suggested they go away and
    1. See how many folk who did the course became famous DJ’s- i suggested the company woudl give a vague and imprecise answer to this question.
    2. See how many famous DJ’s had formal training
    3. Consider whether the course would achieve his goal given 1 & 2.

Would it have been better if I had been positive ?

Junkyard, have you seen the film Little Miss Sunshine?

Nope but i will add it to the list

The father in the film is a classic example of what you’re describing.

I know someone who is twice divorced who got a book published [ not the name but the theme] on how to love a woman for the rest of your life- they saw no irony in this

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Seriously junk…. Your one of those people that just has to have the last word otherwise you feel you haven’t won. Tell you what, I,all say bye bye and admit you win. As a little gift I’ll start that thread for you.. “What tyres for Swinley?” Perhaps you will have some insight into that kinda stuff…. You know the REALLY important stuff like whether logos should be in line with valves cause you are useless at this coaching malarky.

Stay safe. Have a good weekend and Chapeau to anyone with the gumption to make brave decisions.

Down with the haters!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

So ad homs, straw men, flights of fancy and then a down with haters – is this really a debate?

Any chance you could apply your message of positivity to the DJ example above and explain what should be said to the person?
    If I took 100 middle aged men then how many would become world famous DJ’s working on national radio? – would “positivity” be in any way indicative of success?

As for win I dont think anyone can win with you unless they tell you exactly what you want to hear as no rational point seem to make an impact
    As for coaching* I found it unethical as it pedalling BS to the gullible IMHO- a point you have not persuaded me is incorrect. Often folk can get quite upset /emotional when they dont hear what they want to and think it is not good advice. Some therefore prefer the positivity of coaching and some hollow messages /jargon as it is “affirming”. IMHO this is why standards are important as it is not about telling you what you want to hear but providing IAG to you at the required standard.
    As for your choice it is your life and hopefully I have given you some facts to help you make the decision whether you listen or not is not my concern it is your life and your money.

As for last words bless you for letting me have the last one and having the self restraint to not reply to this , how kind 🙄
    Point being it is very easy to goad people but adds nothing to the “debate” we are having and now we can both mock the other for replying – which seems foolish in a debate.

* PS the joke was it is currently an unregulated industry in this country and anyone can claim to be a life coach though I do actually have a qualification

LMT
    Free Member

Had a chat with my boss, seems I can’t move job role, I have a new immediate boss starting next week to relieve some of the pressure, he doesn’t want me to leave, got me no where, serious considering stepping down now, being happy while I search for a new job. Hhhmmm

poiu
    Free Member

why not just work for a better employer in retail? look at glassdoor.com to get all the employee satisfaction scores? waitrose/john lewis look like workers paradises for starters

Frankenstein
    Free Member

You have a job – be thankful as there are people who would live your job!

Don’t quit till you find another role!

Switch retailers or train for a new role?

Knew a carpenter who became a financial broker at 45.

Never too late to do something new!

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Career change?’ is closed to new replies.