Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Career advice (mid life crisis content)
  • spchantler
    Free Member

Sorry if this is long winded. I’ve been away from here for a while, arguing with people on Facebook instead. I’ve recently broken an ankle and had surgery so experienced a bout of navel gazing. I’m a head brewer at a micro, been kind of wedded to the job the last 5 or so years, and not really had any time off, However they’ve managed fine without me and nobody’s died, so all good. I’m 45, but feel young enough to retrain, just not sure what. I’m a working musician as well, and for 10 years was a self employed joiner/builder, before the crash. I don’t know many wealthy musicians, I’ve never met a tradesman with more than a pot to piss in and brewing world is set to contract hugely in the next couple of years. The question is, what can the forum suggest as a career move that may enable me to have a greater work life balance, and the sort of wage that leaves me a bit for savings, pension etc, at the moment I have none. Do I need a life coach , or to get a life? Again apologies for the ramble

franksinatra

Gigolo. Or pimp ( if you want to be in management)

thecaptain
    Free Member

Probably a better bet to become a life coach than pay for one 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

I had a total switch in my late 30s.  Started with training with a DNO.  Best thing I ever did.

spchantler
    Free Member

ThIs has been mooted. The life coach bit, I’m not sure my teeth are shiny enough though

TheBrick
    Free Member

There are very few high paid jobs, those there are require large amounts of training and long hours, possibly danger and or lots of travel (top end lawyers, doctors, off shore work, travelling engineer).

There are even less reasonable paid jobs with good flexibility and reasonable hours.

So you probably need to start a small business, maybe one man band, if you want a half decent wadge and good flexibility.

jekkyl

What sort of salary would you need to earn?

Happy with office work?

wrightyson
    Free Member

What’s a reasonable paid job based on these days? If you’re from a trade background ever fancied getting in to construction management or supervising even. There’s a real shortage of good sensible managers out there.

myti
    Free Member

Head brewer sounds like an awesome job! Can you start your own business if you’re feeling unnecessary at the old job?

senorj

How about combining all your skills and join a circus?

Just joking – that’s what i plan to do. 🙂

LittleNose
    Free Member

brewing world is set to contract hugely in the next couple of years

are you suggesting we need to drink even more beer?

Gunz
    Free Member

No job suggestions but you’re a brewer and musician who can do his own building work.  You have a skill set that most blokes would kill for, chin up.

philjunior
    Free Member

I would see how you feel once you’ve healed up. You’ll probably be a bit down and questioning everything at the moment.

I’m not sure being stuff employed would genuinely give you much time off, could you branch out into different roles in the brewery?

Is it that you actually want a new job or just that you feel things are contracting? if the latter, get on and make the best beers you can and make your brewery remain once the boom has died down.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Start your own brewary and sell out to the big boys.

the-muffin-man

Head Brewer? Working Musician? Trades to fall back on? Some people are never happy! 🙂

Bregante

^ exactly my thoughts^

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah I’d say start your own micro-brewery. As a musician surely you’ll have good contacts in and around the pub scene so lots of contacts to ‘sell’ to. And you could create a ‘brand’ around your love of music.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I’m a head brewer at a micro, been kind of wedded to the job the last 5 or so years, and not really had any time off

Head brewer at a micro, sounds great to me – wedded to the job, not really had any time off not so great. maybe you need to get a better work life balance at the brewery, take some time off, have some holidays and go and do something adventurous then going back to work will feel different. Also what makes you think that the brewing world is set to contract in the next few years?

I’m looking for other work at the moment, don’t think retraining will be an idea for me as I’ve no idea what to retrain as and I think in my 50’s I’ll struggle against younger people or the more experienced. Looking around at other jobs locally I’m also surprised at how low paid a lot of jobs are, looks like I’d end up doing something I don’t really enjoy for longer hours and less money!

edhornby

expand on the skills you have – a sideline in teaching people how to homebrew and sell kits

perchypanther
    Free Member

expand on the skills you have

Become a Brexit consultant.

Get the current Prime Minister round to your workplace and teach her and her mates how to organise a piss up.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Career advice (mid life crisis content)’ is closed to new replies.