Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Carbon wheels with aluminium braking surface
  • jonba
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at these. No particular need, just that I would like a second set of wheels and I like the look of deep section but don’t want a carbon braking surface. Riding in the NE summer lasts a few weeks so I’d never use my road bike if I didn’t ride in bad weather.

Beyond planet X are there any worth considering at the same kind of price point? Mavic do some but they cost a fair bit more. I know shimano do some but based on my experience of the RS80 I’m not sure I would buy another set as they are not very durable in the conditions I ride.

Any one else seen other good offerings?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Campagnolo Bullet have an aluminium braking surface and a pretty deep carbon profile. Although at a somewhat higher price point.

cp

Downside for me is they’re pretty heavy compared to a nice set of say 30mm ish section ALU rims.

jonba
    Free Member

I agree but currently I have some nice light race wheels and some tougher training wheels.

I’m replacing the whole lot with a new bike which is 11 speed and bits won’t be compatible.

My plan is to have some light race wheels and then these for flat races, time trials and general riding. I’m not too bothered about weight as long as it isn’t so much more that it affects the handling.

scruff9252

I have a couple of sets of carbon rims. A normal carbon braking surface on my 82 tri wheels. Those are pretty poor in wet bit also due to TT brakes.

My other 38’s have a carbon basalt surface. Braking is pretty awesome on those regardless of weather but do chew through pads (one set lasted 2 days in the Alps last year) worth it as a trade off if you ask me.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

out of stock but

http://www.merlincycles.com/supra-rc38-carbon-clincher-wheels-11-speed-57765.html

deeper, dearer and in stock

http://www.merlincycles.com/supra-rc58-carbon-clincher-wheels-57764.html

At P-X but not their own brand (allegedly built in Italy)

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPGIP6040/gipiemme-60-40-clincher-wheelset

loads more choice if you push the budget to £500.

nearly bought some but came to the conclusion alloy/carbons are a bit “Emporer’s new clothes” as most are basically an alloy wheel with a carbon fairing glued on (very few use the carbon structurally) and the Gipiemmes in particular are heavier than the moon 🙄 meant I didn’t bother in the end.

jonba
    Free Member

A bit of searching suggests that you can get some alloy deep rims for a lot less cost and a bit more weight. £300 for 42mm Prolites on wiggle (1800g) or £250 for 38mm on Superstar. Seems like these might be best for my plan.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thin braking surface ain’t gonna last long

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Carbon wheels with aluminium braking surface’ is closed to new replies.