Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Carbon Wheels for my Mullet Project
  • timbog160

Experiences and advice needed please…!

Having bought a Radon Slide a couple of months back, I’m now a massive convert to 29 inch wheels. Consequntly I’m wanting to have a go at mulleting my G170. Have bought some Lyriks and am going to reduce the travel (probably to 160mm).

The wheels are carbon Whyte Trail 30’s, and my OCD won’t allow me to have a mismatched front and rear. I was hoping to pick up a 29’er wheel from an S150 C works, which uses the same wheel decals, and I thought would be a nice solution. Sadly Whyte don’t sell these separately so I’m stuck with buying a new pair of wheels (in mismatched sizes)…

So I’ve narrowed it down to the following:
    Hunt
    Blue Flow
    Santa Cruz Reserve
    Sixth Element

I realise there’s quite a big price differential in that list, but I’m happy to pay the extra if it’s reflected in the quality. I’m also not averse to ally wheels as such, but it just seems a retrograde step, when I’m currently running carbon..

Any help gratefully received! Cheers!

kelvin

I have Hunt trailwides, for the same purpose. Can’t fault them. Not sure their Carbon wheels would add anything.

timmys

I’m a fan of my Blue Flow wheels. I’ve not kept up with prices but presume those are still the most budget friendly of that lot. Mr Blue Flow was very helpful/responsive and I think their crash replacement policy was up there with the best.

pothead
    Free Member

Haven’t used them personally but Ridge Carbon Wheels get pretty good reviews and are cheaper than most

timbog160

Quick update on this. I managed to source an OE wheel from Whyte in the end for a very reasonable price. It’s an almost perfect match for the rear so I’m hoping for a pretty factory look. Have also got some red Lyriks for it, which as I say I’m going to set to 160mm travel, and being a bit of a tart, I’ve got a matching red coil for the rear shock..!

kelvin

Fork crown will still be a lot higher, and everything a lot slacker, even with 10mm less travel.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Carbon Wheels for my Mullet Project’ is closed to new replies.