Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Carbon wheels; which would you keep?
  • Kryton57

I’ve 2 sets of Carbon road wheels both clinchers, one needs to go.

The first is an OEM set of Cosine 45mm – here:  https://road.cc/content/review/173352-cosine-45mm-full-carbon-clincher-wheelset

I’ve used these the most about 600km and have no complaints.

However, I have a set of handbuilt 50’s.  They are Hope RS mono hubs with CX rays and I believe unbranded Venn rims which I got at a good prices from Richy here:  http://www.catswhiskerswheels.co.uk/clincher-wheels.html.  These have been used twice for TT’ing.

I’m not racing just club riding / Training.

WWSTWD?

dovebiker

Does either set work tubeless?

Kryton57

Not interested in tubeless . I don’t know much about these things so I want to know which is best and “to keep” .

geex
    Free Member

Sell the Hopes as “only used twice for TT in dry conditions”
    There’s nothing great about hope hubs. infact they’re mediocre at best with less than brilliant durability
    The Cosines sound absolutely fine for your use.

you’ve ridden them though. so you decide. life shouldn’t be this difficult.

w00dster

Quite like my Hope Hubs (Mono RS on Archtype rims).
    Also had the Cosine 55mm Disc wheels. Didn’t have them long, maybe 800 miles on them, but again had no issues with them. I think the hubs were Bitex or Novatec, wouldn’t say they were any better or worse than my Hope hubs, but they were quieter.
    For me, which ones brake the best in all conditions you ride in, the ones you prefer the feel when riding, lightest, widest internal rim, easiest to change tyres/tubes and which ones look better.

TiRed

Keep the hopes. Spokes will be easier to replace, and hand built. Nothing ring with cosines other than the business model.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

you’ve ridden them though. so you decide. life shouldn’t be this difficult.

This.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Keep the ones that look best.

And check you, you flash southerner, training on carbon wheels!!!!

Up ‘ere in the Norf, we train on rims made from birch branches wrapped in rubber cut from old tractor tyres and glued to the rim with the melted bones of our dead family pets and spam!!!

Kryton57

Only in the summer steve_b77…  😀

Trouble is, I haven’t ridden the Hopes/Venns for about a year and only on the TT bike. I guess I need to move them on to the road bike and give them a whirl to compare – frame and feel will be different.

I’m getting the message that they are likely comparable value / ability e.g. there isn’t a wide enough margin on one or t’other to make them un-sellable.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

sell them both, buy something else

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Sell both and stockpile beans. No deal brexit is coming.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’m with geex ….sell the wheels which have hubs you can buy spares for with technical back up and keep the wheels that are enow obsolete having been dropped by the supplier , supplied by a company renound for not standing behind their products.

No sorry . My stance is the opposite.

I’d keep the hopes of I absolutely had to have carbon training wheels. More likely I’d sell both , bank the money and train on aluminiums

Kryton57

I have a set of Kysirium Elites, I don’t need to but new wheels.  Typical STW, ask one question…

trail_rat
    Free Member

But have you got beans ? In post Brexit appocolypse no one will be able to afford carbon wheels -or beans . Sell now while people have money.

Then buy beans

alexnharvey
    Free Member

Sell the ksyriums too and buy some proper wheels, since you didn’t ask 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Carbon wheels; which would you keep?’ is closed to new replies.