Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Carbon to Alloy rims – will I notice much ?
  • iainc

of a difference ?… on my 2017 Anthem.  Have cracked another (2nd) Giant Carbon rim and at £500 RRP it’s a costly replacement, though LBS will get a decent discount on that price.

They are 27.5 Boost and I am looking at possibly getting a set of Hope XC – Pro 4’s from CRC of LBS, which come in at £380 for a pair.  The Giant rim is 21mm internal, the Hope is 19.5..  I run tubeless 2.25 Nobby Nics and am very much in the xc riding camp.

Thoughts appreciated, thanks

stevextc
    Free Member

Not a HUGE difference…. I happen to have a spare P-XCR carbon rim in 27.5 I would sell for way less than that if you’re interested though.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yep, I notice my wheels no longer cracking every few months 🙂

And, a nicer ride.

fathomer

I’m not a massively fussy rider, in that I don’t pick up small differences that much. I can’t say I noticed a massive, if any, difference. They might not by quite as stiff when going through rock gardens but they haven’t slowed me down. I went from 30mm Light Bicycle rims to Stan’s mk3 Flow/Arch combo.

cynic-al
    Free Member

There’s someone on here who says the stiffness of the carbons is life changing.

Northwind

I swap back and forth between lightbicycle carbon and WTB frequencies on my remedy with similar tyres and the only difference I feel is weight. But that’s not to say there’s never a difference- my old traversees were made of rubber but I never really noticed that while riding either.

iainc

great, thanks, am in process of ordering the Hope’s through LBS, cheers

iainc

update, a pair of 27.5 Boost, Hope XC – Pro 4’s now on order from LBS, thanks for all the feedback. Will be glad to worry less about dinging my rims !

deadkenny
    Free Member

Yep, I notice my wheels no longer cracking every few months

Same. What cracks a carbon rim, dings an alloy and can be fixed, unlike the carbon.

And the DT stuff I’ve replaced with is fairly bomb proof.

Not noticed a difference in feel. Carbon rims I have no faith with now. Sure you can go with the £2k+ sets but you’re just buying the inevitable crash replacement with that. I’d rather have wheels that don’t need replacing due to cracking when you look at them.

iainc

The Hope’s are a shade narrower (19.5mm vs 21mm) and about 200g heavier than the Giant carbon ones.  For my regular xc riding on 2.25 Hans Damf/Nobby Nic tubeless I’m not thinking I’ll notice much difference, except to my wallet.  New full wheelset is significantly less than a replacement rear giant carbon wheel, and if/when I ding a rim I can get a new rim built onto it.

stevextc
    Free Member

What are you doing with the other rim ???

I’ve still got one P-XCR carbon rim…?  I might conceivable stick it on a spare hub if you’re flogging the other one?

For my regular xc riding on 2.25 Hans Damf/Nobby Nic tubeless I’m not thinking I’ll notice much difference, except to my wallet.

They might also not have the same tubeless grip as the carbon rims… If anything I find it pretty tough getting tyres off (usually Racing Ralph’s) but then I never burped one.

I’ve never managed to break one BUT I’ve damaged aluminium ones but partly because I stick on cheaper wheels for messing about as the replacement cost is eye watering…

iainc

mine are XCR1 27.5 Boost.  I have 2 rears, both with broken rims, one had a year of light use, one had 5 months light use.  I’d happily cut the hubs out and sell, no idea what they are worth..  If any interest please PM, cheers

philjunior
    Free Member

200g is fairly noticeable, but the hopes aren’t the lightest of (alloy) wheels.

It won’t really matter enough to spend £500 though (IMHO)

iainc

I checked again, 144g difference only on the wheelset.

tdog
    Free Member

Forget the Hopes and go straight to Spank.

stevextc
    Free Member

Iainc:  Just realised the hubs I was thinking of using are 32H….

iainc

First ride on the new Hope’s last night – just a few spins round Cathkin as nursing a rib injury…

Can’t honestly say I noticed any difference while riding, apart from the noise 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

apart from the noise

Cathkin noise? gimp masks being slapped?, feet against car windows?, erses getting skelped? Gilfs howling for jesus? WE NEED TO KNOW!!! 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Carbon to Alloy rims – will I notice much ?’ is closed to new replies.