• This topic has 10 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by P20.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Carbon Swingarm Repaired
  • P20

I’ve just rebuilt my Yeti 575 after Hansell Composites (stokesley) have repaired the cracked swingarm. Only £40, £10 cheaper than quoted!! Will find out how it goes, but it looks ok

Yeti repair by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

tracknicko
    Free Member

Interesting… got any details of the process they use?

robsoctane
    Free Member

That looks a great fix, hope it works out for you.

robhughes
    Free Member

Sure thats not carbon tape you buy from the likes of Halfords….. 😉

P20

To be honest I just handed over the notes and walked away with it quite happy. I was recommended them by Edinburgh Bicycle in Newcastle. They know of a Whyte carbon, that had the seat tube repaired after a bizarre chain/carbon user error and a crashed carbon road frame that had its top tube repaired and then raced on for another 2 seasons.
    when I dropped the swingarm off, there were a couple of Dolan road frames in too.
    Their websites On the basic side, but here’s their details: Hansell Composites

BrickMan

Wow, looks like a neat job!

Guess they had to strip the resin/lacquer a fair bit either side of the patch to get a good bond?

Always wondered what people use when repairing/patching up carbon, do they make a clave form for it, or some hydroforming/pressurised oil process, or just wrap it in rubber with valves on it and put a large vacuum line on it? Its a bit of a black art, but I guess those that are good at it are very good.

P20

The swingarm was cracked roughly half way up the inside and about 2/3 across the bottom. They’ve done the repair on all four sides, removing and replacing the brake hose guide too.

cynic-al
    Free Member

tracknicko – Member

Interesting… got any details of the process they use?

I’d call it “wrapping some epoxy’d carbon over it, taping it up then leaving to dry”…an easy DIY fix!

wwaswas

You can tell it’s a pro job, though, al.

No spoons 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

😀

P20

You can tell it’s a pro job, though, al.

No spoons

Thats exactly what i thought 😆
    Its survived a wet blast around Hamsterley

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Carbon Swingarm Repaired’ is closed to new replies.