Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Carbon seatposts
  • rascal
    Free Member

Looking to upgrade a roadie seatpost – maybe with a carbon one.
    It’s going in a carbon frame – a serious lack of metal in the vicinity!;-)

Never had a carbon post before – are they as good at filtering out road noise to your arse as is claimed?
    Looking for a not-hideously-expensive but good 27.2mm post – any recommendations?

honourablegeorge

Found this an interesting read – there’s laboratory data as well as riding tests

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/best-soft-riding-rigid-seatposts-for-road-dirt-and-gravel-46208/

rascal
    Free Member

Cheers – will give a read later.
    Some eye-watering prices though 😯

rocketman
    Free Member

Obv you’ll want a one-piece post the carbon posts with a metal clamp are often heavier than aluminium posts

Personally I’ve found the diameter has more effect than the material 27.2s quite flexible compared to 31.6 of any kind

rascal
    Free Member

Easton EC70 Carbon Offset ordered – cheers

Dibbs
    Free Member

Easton EC70 Carbon Offset

I’ve had several of those on different bikes and as said above the 27.2 has a much more forgiving ride compared to the 31.6.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s very very subtle.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve got a very very sensitive arse. 😉

otsdr
    Free Member

It’s not subtle at all, I switch between a P6 hiflex and a Reverb (depending on the moon phase or something) on a hardtail and the Reverb is simply unforgiving. Granted, I have quite a lot of post showing, so the P6 can do its thing.

dirtydog
    Free Member

It’s very very subtle.

My layback 26.8 EC70 isn’t, plenty of visible flex and plenty of exposed post. Also have a EC70 31.6 inline with no visible flex (very very subtle).

Depends on post design (layback/inline), amount of exposed post and post diameter.

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

I just bought a new road bike. It took me five rides to even notice it had a carbon seat post. It makes very little difference….

therevokid
    Free Member

love carbon posts …. never fitting anything else now, and
    yes you can feel the difference (carbon railed saddle as well !!)

eshershore
    Free Member

I’ve got an Easton EC70 on my hardtail in 30.9mm and its a world of difference to the stock aluminium alloy seatpost

When I got my first road bike a few years back I just put on a spare Thomson Elite in 27.2mm but quickly realised how harsh it was and bought a full carbon post (another Easton)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

any recommendations?

Gel saddle.

molgrips
    Free Member

My layback 26.8 EC70 isn’t, plenty of visible flex and plenty of exposed post.

Depends what you are after, as that article says. A flexy post boings around and will take the edge of potholes and such, which you may want. I got a carbon post for vibration reduction though, which isn’t about flexiness so much. It does work, but in the sense where you appreciate it after three hours in the saddle rather than as soon as you get on. Having had flexy carbon posts I really don’t like the boinginess, personally.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Depends what you are after

Completely agree, the 26.8 is on my mountain bike and the 31.6 is on my hybrid, both seem well suited to their intended use, flexy 26.8 and lightly dampened (very subtle) 31.6.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Carbon seatposts’ is closed to new replies.