• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by cy.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Carbon seatpost longevity
  • Stuart
    Free Member

I’m wanting to replace the ageing RF xy post on my Stiffee and was considering a carbon replacement. (looking for something less harsh)

I may be a numpty but how well do carbon posts stand up to being raised and lowered repeatedly ?? Do they become weakened by the scatching etc.

kiwijohn

Probably not a good choice if you move it a lot. I do have one on my Salsa, but that doesn’t move, even if I wanted to.

onandon
    Free Member

some stand up to that better than others.
    one way round it would be to buy a smaller post and use a USE plastic shim, at least that way it wont get all scratched up.

Just a though!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickc

The weave pattern you see on some posts is just a cosmetic wrap to make it look nice, so a few scratches on that aren’t going to make a significant different to it’s integrity. Others have a lacquer finish, so again, shouldn’t matter. Having said that, I’d only buy from a well known carbon manufacturer, Easton, Raceface, so on.

cy

I’m a compulsive saddle dropper and have had a Bontrager Race X-Lite carbon post on my Soul which is still fine after over a year. Having had an XY in the past (great saddle clamp – I miss that), anything reasonable quality this side of a Thomson will have more give. XY’s are pretty stiff. It’s amazing what a difference it makes. When I was testing the BFe prototypes with a 30.9 post I thought I’d made a huge mistake when using a bit-box post that fitted, but it become totally fine once I got a USE SUMO aluminium seatpost.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Carbon seatpost longevity’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts