Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • carbon seat post?
  • mattjg
    Free Member

I need a rigid seat post (30.9mm) for trips when the dropper would get in the way.

Is carbon worthwhile? I read they’re comfy but it doesn’t quite add up, I’d expect carbon to be ultra-stiff top to bottom.

TiRed

My 27.2 carbon seatposts have about 0.5cm fore and aft movement (compact frames with quite a bit of seatpost showing) that does make them more comfortable than alloy (road and mtb). It is very noticeable on switching back to the stock alloy post on the steel mtb. The larger diameter post for your frame will be stiffer and have less flex, so the effects may not be as big.

Northwind

I can’t tell any difference between any of my posts tbh. But carbon is purty.

D0NK

If you drop your post IME they score and look very tatty quite quickly – I’ve only dropped mine a few times on some proper dodgy stuff and it’s scruffy. I probably won’t bother again, can’t say I’ve noticed it being any more comfy than ali but I’ve not done back to back testing and it’s a 31.6 maybe a narrower post would be more compliant….?

tomhoward

I need a rigid seat post (30.9mm) for trips when the dropper would get in the way.

Isn’t the point of a dropper that it gets out of the way?

+1 northwind.

D0NK

I was confused by that aswell

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

If you drop your post IME they score and look very tatty quite quickly

+1. Drop it once with any grit around and cosmetically it will be trashed. Might not affect its strength, but if that would bother you (it would/does me) don’t bother.

mattjg
    Free Member

rephrase: possible bike packing trip, I’ll likely want to hang a bag off the saddle and I want the bike to be as mechanically simple and robust as possible, so better to switch the dropper for a rigid post I think.

good points re scoring of carbon, thx.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘carbon seat post?’ is closed to new replies.