Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • CARBON ROADBIKE BUILD for less than £730 – Safe?
  • yohandsome
    Free Member

Found this fascinating video on the tubes, a full carbon (except the handlebars, wise choice?) road bike incl pedals with a Tiagra groupset for under £730. Think it’s safe?

Parts:
    Chinese Carbon Frame (eBay.co.uk) – £266
    Shimano Tiagra GroupSet (eBay.co.uk) – £235
    Vision Team 30 Wheelset (merlincycles.co.uk) – £130
    Shimano SPD-SL Pedals (wiggle.co.uk) – £25
    2x 700x25c Road Tyres (wiggle.co.uk) – £18
    Gel Road Saddle (wiggle.co.uk) – £15
    Aluminium handlebars (eBay.co.uk) – £14
    Aluminium Stem (eBay.co.uk) – £9
    Gel Bar Tape (wiggle.co.uk) – £5
    2x Inner Tubes (wiggle.co.uk) – £6
    In Line Cable Adjust (eBay.co.uk) – £4
    Headset Spacers (eBay.co.uk) – £1

philjunior
    Free Member

Chinese Carbon Frame (eBay.co.uk) – £266

From a reputable source, with UK based distribution and knowing it would be tested to meet CEN? No problem. (I bought a PX pro carbon a few years back for £950 with tyre upgrade and bottle cages etc. Cheap wheels, had the odd broken spoke but they’re not going to collapse or anything. 8.2kg inc pedals. You could go cheaper off the peg if you keep your eyes open, possibly with heavier spec.)

From some random teenager on ebay importing from China via his parents’ bedroom?/direct from a factory, possible seconds/rejects? Nope. I’d just worry too much. It’s a nice exercise in low costing but my teeth are too valuable.

ads678
    yohandsome
    Free Member

Whoa, yeah the Vitus seems like a clearly better option.

edhornby

yeah get the vitus

DezB
    Free Member

Funny, that he spent all that time and research (I presume, can’t be arsed to watch video) to make something not as good as you can just get online fully built.. made me laugh anyway.

philjunior
    Free Member

You could just get this from crc for 750.

More than £20 extra though lol.

(and to be fair, the discs probably add a fair chunk of weight at that price point, so is Carbon really worthwhile?)

yohandsome
    Free Member

Well, at least his comes without the Vitus logo lol, that has to be worth something.

taxi25
    Free Member

I’d go for the Chinese build myself, not interested in the cheap cable discs and I bet the vitus weighs a ton !!!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Well, at least his comes without the Vitus logo lol, that has to be worth something.

Anyone over the age of 12 though probably associates Vitus with sone seriously cool bonded aluminium road bikes.

I’d go for the Chinese build myself, not interested in the cheap cable discs and I bet the vitus weighs a ton !!!

Id not be adverse to a chinese road frame, i keep looking at them the realising im slower than my current bike justifies!

But Spyres are a pretty good brake if setup with decent cables and pads. And hard to see what you could realistically swap on that Vitus without pushing the price up. The next model up has hydraulic 105’s but is £1250.

DezB
    Free Member

I bet the vitus weighs a ton
    Few ounces out: 21lb

But I’d have cheap cable discs over 1990s style calipers anyday. 😉

taxi25
    Free Member

Pity the video didn’t mention the build weight, despite being heavy myself I like a light, lively feeling bike. 2-3lbs lighter would be my guess.

yohandsome
    Free Member

Anyone over the age of 12 though probably associates Vitus with sone seriously cool bonded aluminium road bikes.

If you add 20 years perhaps, in any case, just generally think huge logos on bikes are garish – not got anything against Vitus, they seem great value.

honourablegeorge

yohandsome

just generally think huge logos on bikes are garish

It’s not got especially huge logos or a garish look, I’d have thought. Seems like great value.

philjunior
    Free Member

It’s not got especially huge logos or a garish look, I’d have thought. Seems like great value.

Argh, that garish black on grey colourscheme is hurting my delicate eyes!

yohandsome
    Free Member

LOL. Yes, it’s literally screaming! OK I take everything back, just keep in mind this is what I’m coming from (pending a BTR update once funding allows).

Daffy

Pity the video didn’t mention the build weight, despite being heavy myself I like a light, lively feeling bike. 2-3lbs lighter would be my guess.

I’d be willing to bet they’re near identical.

Defining a frame as being made from “carbon” is the same as saying it’s made from “metal”. There are a LOT of grades of carbon, and the placement and layup are what allow for lightness. A uniform T700 frame and fork with 1-5mm layup all over won’t be much (if at all) lighter than hydroformed aluminium.

philjunior
    Free Member

I’d be willing to bet they’re near identical.

Defining a frame as being made from “carbon” is the same as saying it’s made from “metal”. There are a LOT of grades of carbon, and the placement and layup are what allow for lightness. A uniform T700 frame and fork with 1-5mm layup all over won’t be much (if at all) lighter than hydroformed aluminium.

I get your point, but even if the Chinese bike was the same weight as an alu frame, I would be pretty confident the full build would be lighter.

The frame really isn’t much of the overall weight, so obsessing over it being carbon is silly, but my last road bike had a cheap alu frame, cost 400 quid rrp and was pretty close to the weight of that vitus.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The frame really isn’t much of the overall weight, so obsessing over it being carbon is silly, but my last road bike had a cheap alu frame, cost 400 quid rrp and was pretty close to the weight of that vitus.

Most carbon bikes are a good lb or two heavier for the same price as £/g frames are expensive but not really much lighter untill you get to the really top end stuff. And the vitus does have disks.

yohandsome
    Free Member

Youtuber is saying his bike is “nearly 2kg” lighter..so around 7.9kg, Vitus is listed at 9.7kg and measured to 9.62kg. https://www.wiggle.co.uk/vitus-zenium-carbon-disc-road-bike-tiagra-2019/

Shimano wheelset 2100g VS Vision Team 30 1929g = 171g
    Trp spyre 160 mm rotors 600g VS Tiagra 350g = 250g
    Zaffiro 28c 370g VS 25c probably 220g = 340g
    Alloy seatpost 300g? VS Carbon seatpost 200g = 100g

861 grams difference, something doesn’t add up.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘CARBON ROADBIKE BUILD for less than £730 – Safe?’ is closed to new replies.