Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Carbon Rim Options Please
  • zelak999
    Free Member

Looking to upgrade to some carbon rims.
    What would you guys recommend?
    Looking at middle of the road cost wise, not Enve level.
    Like the idea of the WTB Ci24 rims but they are ‘only’ 24mm internally, though i’m not really sure if that matters that much.
    Will be using Maxxis HR2s and/or DHR/DHFs so the rims need to be compatible/easy to get on and off.
    Any ideas?

sam_underhill

Light Bicycle prices and the collapsing £ seem to make them middle of the road pricing these days! I’ve had a few pairs and they’ve been great. 650b 35mm hookless ones are great on my trail bike with that tyre combo.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I only have experience of LB rims (29er 35mm hookless) which I’ve been running for 2 1/2 years. No problem getting Maxxis tyres on and off.

Much better choice now though.

AlexSimon

What wheelsize?

zelak999
    Free Member

@AlexSimon 27.5 wheel size

AlexSimon

Might be worth giving Bird Cycleworks a call then – they’ve got some new ones coming afaik and my current ones are brilliant. Prices were reasonable->mid last time around.
    I think their new ones are asymetric fwiw

Northwind

Prices not so keen now for LB, I think they’re about twice the price I paid for my first! Tbh I’m a fan, imo it’s a great product but alu rims have come on a lot recently as well as the price change, if I had to build a new set I wouldn’t necessarily go carbon now (though, I’m very happy to have them!)

The LB rims aren’t hard to get tyres on, you do need reasonable tyre fitting technique because of the shallowness of the rim bed but that’s pretty common these days and, well, “you have to do it right” isn’t a criticism really.

zelak999
    Free Member

Yeah I looked at LB prices and it wasn’t really a bargain.
    I did email Bird but got a reply saying ‘we have no plans for new carbon wheels at the moment. We are looking at our options from SRAM and DT however’ aluminium versions.
    I do like the look of the WTB Ci24 rims, under 400g for a rim is pretty good. I also have a £100 voucher for CRC. Still works out at £655 for two rims. Sounds ludicrous now I’ve written it! Maybe I’ll go for DT 481s!

Tracey

Have a look at the Sixth Element ones. Abigale has been running some 38mm 650bs all year including Enduro comps and a month in the Alps. Still looking as good as new.

mactheknife

Tracey, I finally bit the bullet and went for a set of wheels from Sixth Element today after seeing you recommend them on a few occasions. I’m a complete tart and they do look good 😀

Tracey

What did you go for. They do look good don’t they.

Katie on her sisters bike after the scumbags took hers and Kevins last week

mactheknife

38mm rim with hope hubs. Nearly broke my heart parting with the cash but I’m just a tightarse so I’ll get over it VERY quickly 😀

Tracey

Good choice. Enjoy them.

zelak999
    Free Member

How are you getting on with the Sixth Element rims mactheknife?
    Are they easy to get tyres on and off?

thomasgeorge
    Free Member

I’ve had, and broke, Enve and Roval, and now have some Derby rims, and they’re holding up well. Cheaper than the others also 🙂

mactheknife

Hey zelak, I just got these set up today, no problems with a minion front and rear. They went on really easily and popped on the rim like a champ.

First run out tomorrow up the golfie at inners so will have a better idea then. Plus if you are a tart like me they are sooooooo good looking.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Carbon Rim Options Please’ is closed to new replies.