Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • carbon orange five
  • Anyone know anything about this.Coming down cut gate today saw a complete tool on what looked like a five with carbon frame and swingarm ,strange shock on it and white disk rotors.The bloke didn’t hang about anyone know if they are bringing a carbon one out.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Why was he a tool?

martinxyz
    Free Member

because he was testing a proto.

“if you bump into any of those stw donkeys.. answer to nothing and get the hell out of there”

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos

Why was he a tool? Skidding and sliding a lot and was quite ignorant of any other rider on the trail. Not really cricket in my opinion but that’s only my opunion.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hes a tool for braking and sliding 🙁 jeezus some mtb’ers are pretentious arses – if he was riding a prototype orange five, id probably assume he’ll be a hell of a better rider than you will ever be….im guessing thats the problem though right? 😉

mmmm carbon orange five…

catsplums
    Free Member

not sure about this tool thing going on but a carbon 5 mmmmm indeed!!! I could see one of them being a huge hit with the UK riding public.

sambob
    Free Member

A carbon 5 will probably end up like a hideous child of a Carbon 456 and a normal 5. Doesn’t stop me wanting one though.

njee20
    Free Member

I could see one of them being a huge hit with the UK riding public fanboys on STW.

FTFY

catsplums
    Free Member

lol I have not tried one but they do seem to have a huge following, here and most other UK based places and press. if they could make a good looking carbon unit then I think it would sell very well.

druidh
    Free Member

It’s Orange. They probably bought some cheap “carbon” tape off eBay and stuck it all over the frame.

njee20
    Free Member

if they could make a good looking carbon unit then I think it would sell very well

They’ve been trying for 20 years to make a good looking aluminium bike and still failing, can’t see a carbon one being any better 😉

z1ppy

Cause the Top Fuel ain’t fugly at all, is it? 😉

catsplums
    Free Member

oh you guys are harsh…

bol

Recycled milk cartons instead of filing cabinets?

ratherbeintobago

Aren’t Orange very proud of their ability to fabricate aluminium? As a result, I’d have though they were unlikely to either buy in the gear to fabricate CF, nor buy it in from Taiwan*

Andy

*yes, I know the hardtails are made there.

Rorschach
    Free Member

unlikely to either buy in the gear to fabricate CF, nor buy it in from Taiwan

😳

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

If Orange are that proud of their build quality why have they got one of the shortest warranty? Most doing 5 years now. I to my shame have sometimes skidded and unintentionally slid as well <tool shame>

jam-bo

Warranty length has **** all to do with quality. It’s a marketing tool.

donsimon
    Free Member

Skidding and sliding a lot and was quite ignorant of any other rider on the trail

Probably trying to replicate the skillz of a typical trailgimp.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Well if you make a good quality product what risk is there in a good 5 year warranty? Would seem to a no brainer and helps sell Orange bikes as a marketing tool as you suggest. It was maybe the market that forced them in 2008 to raise it?

Love the Orange debates they go on and on and on :->

jam-bo

They seem to be selling plenty without it….

trail_rat
    Free Member

was it cynic-al with some carbon covered spoons out trail riding 😀

*ducks als punch 😀

thepodge
    Free Member

the 5 is way over priced, a carbon one would be stupid money

catsplums
    Free Member

shockingly it would seem that it would probably be cheaper to get a carbon frame made than it would to hand make the sheet metal alley ones they make at the moment, would make for a great bike (in many peoples opinion) but would be a shame to kill off a brilliantly skilled work force in the UK in favour of a factory somewhere abroad…

Houns

druidh – Member

It’s Orange. They probably bought some cheap “carbon” tape off eBay and got Al to stick it all over the frame

jam-bo

the 5 is way over priced, a carbon one would be stupid money

Given they sell all they make and you rarely see them heavily discounted like trek, specialized and lapierre. I’d say it’s priced just about right.

Whether you can afford the price or not is another matter.

I couldn’t so I bought one S/H for a much more reasonable amount. Buying new mtb’s is a mugs game.

singlespeedstu

trail_rat – Member

was it cynic-al with some carbon covered spoons out trail riding

Nah. If it was al he’d have posted a thread about it already.

Then he’d have got all pissy and started claiming we woz all haterz.

*blows a big kiss to al*

thepodge
    Free Member

folding sheet metal is really cheap, if they can get carbon cheaper then they are doing it wrong

I very much doubt it was a prototype. the cost of carbon tooling often prohibits real world test samples, if you were copying an existing frame then all you need do is ring up that Belgian guy and get him to do it all on his computer.

it always makes me chuckle when people bang on about prototypes in cycling as if no one’s ever made a bike before. very few far more complicated things never get tested first as they are known quantities. you just put the correct numbers together and out pops your fully working product.

jam-bo

you just put the correct numbers together and out pops your fully working product.

I’m looking for a new engineer. You sound perfect…

ilovemygears
    Free Member

only a complete tool would ride a orange, its not 1998 any more get over it…

catsplums
    Free Member

folding sheets is cheap, the hand welding and fabrication around the rest of it I am sure is not. everything is cheap if you break it down to welding this to that, or bend sheet or gluing this… get the skills to do it correctly I am sure is not all that cheap at all.

thepodge
    Free Member

double post… or should that be prototype post?

thepodge
    Free Member

cheap compared to tubes. its relative

I’ve never prototyped anything and have a very wide range of design &engineering experience from football stadium fire escapes to industrial furnaces. I can’t imagine my boss would be too pleased if I suddenly took twice as long and cost twice as much because I had to make everything twice just to make sure I got it right.

jam-bo

Building one offs are very different to mass production.

Have you ever built something and thought afterwards you could have done that bit in a more elegant way.

Northwind

Bike prototyping’s probably largely about the feel of the thing, you can tweak angles and thicknesses and such and suddenly come up with an unexpected result, it’s not as simple as chucking a load of computer time at it.

But, if they were to do a carbon Five, it probably wouldn’t look that much like a Five since the characteristic shape is mostly down to it being stamped out of sheet.

jam bo – Member

Warranty length has **** all to do with quality. It’s a marketing tool.

Aye, tell that to the boy who was posting on here about his broken Five last week- 3 years old, falling apart, and a year out of warranty…

ilovemygears
    Free Member

why do people buy these things, they brake, look old fashioned and handle like a brick..i bet most people who buy them are called Freid are about 45 and work in some mind numbingly middle class job and think 20 miles is a really long ride 🙂 do they still make that rumbling noise,

singletrackmind

1999 vintage K2 / Proflex OZ ?
    Unless you have seen one and know what they look like its possibly one of those. Mine gets mistaken for an Orange alot , by people who dont know what they are.
    If it was travelling at a rate of knots then a quick glance at the (easton ) swingarm would make you say ” Its a carbon 5″

ilovemygears
    Free Member

1999 vintage K2 / Proflex OZ ?
    Unless you have seen one and know what they look like its possibly one of those. Mine gets mistaken for an Orange alot , by people who dont know what they are.
    If it was travelling at a rate of knots then a quick glance at the (easton ) swingarm would make you say ” Its a carbon 5″

do you still have the battery powered rear shock???

catsplums
    Free Member

there is a lot of slating of peoples rides in this forum, I am a bit surprised to be honest… I don’t own a five nor have I tried one but obviously some love some hate, but I think EVERY bike will have that my colection included. Value wise, they sell and are still in business so some thing their value and price point is correct, design people buy them and they get good ratings horses for courses, and it is a british company making a bike that a lot of people like… I would be pretty sad for all the people here knocking them to then sit back in a different thread and complain about the death of our engineering design and fabrication skills because of the number of other bikes made from the same factory abroad looks and rides the same with a different brand badge on the front. rant over…. please continue.

singletrackmind

do you still have the battery powered rear shock???

Mine was a frame up build so never came with the Noleen Smart shock.
    It had a Manitou spv coil , been replaced with a SPV Air can now in 220 x 52 iirc.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘carbon orange five’ is closed to new replies.