Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Carbon Hardtail Frame, which one?
  • GSuperstar
    Free Member

Basically, I currently ride an Intense Tracer 2, and I commute on this as well 4 times a day (20mins a time). Now I’ve built this to a perfect spec, all new Saint, CCDB etc so it isn’t the lightest but perfect for my proper riding.

So I’m thinking and more importantly, wanting to build a carbon Hardtail for my commuting duties. I don’t want a road bike, want to stick with mountain.

So which offering is the best weight to price ratio? I know on-one 456 is a very good price but built far to burly for my needs.

Any options for me to google search and look up countless reviews? 😀

(Thanks in advance for the responses)

weeksy

Nice one on Ebay at the moment for £700 🙂

(nothing to do with me… i was just debating it)

sorry, that was 29er… i only see 29er lol

GSuperstar
    Free Member

29ers don’t really put me off, other than the lack of picking up 2nd hand items on the forums 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Stevo210
    Free Member

Thought about a Whippet, cant recommend mine enough. Using mine for commuting journeys at the moment as my road bike is too dangerous at night hitting all those potholes that are hiding until they pop up and try and break your wrists while making you swerve in to traffic 🙁

Damn nippy too…

teamslug
    Free Member

I was in a similar situation.. Built up a lovley Mojo SL which is far too good to subject to 6 months of Yorkshire’s finest mud and crap so I built a C456. Its a nice riding bike. Not half as harsh as I was expecting and very light. Built mine 1 x 9 with 150mm travel adjust forks and even with lights/mudguards etc still only weighs 26lbs.

Stevo210
    Free Member

2×10 120 forks 23lbs

no guards = muddy/wet bum

Mahoosive heavy V2’s & dropper so Im sure you could build a lighter one if you wanted to.

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Stevo210 – Like an idiot, didn’t actually think of looking to see if on-one had a xc equivelant to the C456. Thanks I’ll have a look about for reviews etc 🙂

teamslug- See I have my Tacer 2 for all Enduro/FS duties, so literally want a Hardtail for speed and efficiency on going home and to work. 26lbs is a lot better than I thought though, how high spec are you running on the groupset/tyres to get it at that weight?

I’m thinking if that’s the possible weight of a 456 then the Whippet should build up pretty light?

Thanks
    Tom

joeyj
    Free Member

Just got one of these Merida 0 Nine Pro 1000dfor £1000 from my LBS in Newcastle, and it is great no complaints here. Not sure of weight but spec is decent and can be easily upgraded.

MrGreedy

I’m thinking if that’s the possible weight of a 456 then the Whippet should build up pretty light?

Sub 20lbs achievable with rigid forks.

Are you planning on doing other riding on it? Seems a lot of money to spend if it’s going to be exclusively for commuting.

Stevo210
    Free Member

Are you planning on doing other riding on it? Seems a lot of money to spend if it’s going to be exclusively for commuting.

Agree with that, mine gets hammered on the trails too.
    Just a little more confidence inspiring with all the angry traffic on dark nights.

Jason
    Free Member

I am just about to put my Scott Scale carbon frame up for sale. It is a large (19″) and in good condition. Let me know if you would like some pics of it. Other than that the Whippet is decent frame for the money, my wife has been racing one since they first came out and it has stood up fairly well to the use. I think Whippet and c456 frames weigh about the same.

njee20
    Free Member

Sub 20lbs achievable with rigid suspension forks if you spend enough, just like any frame!

FTFY.

GSuperstar
    Free Member

I agree, costly for it’s intended use. However building bikes is quite a hobby for me and I never seem to stick with cheap parts, as much as I’d intend on going down the ‘low spec’ components list, I know I’d keep searching for lighter and lighter stuff.

I see it as being an on-going project 🙂

Plus my commute is quite a fun one, through media city and salford quays so not that much road involved.

But yes I do agree… 🙂

Stevo210
    Free Member

Just had a look on on-one….prices are back up to £499 🙁 I bought mine a few months ago and they had them on offer for £249, they were at that price last week too. That’s unlucky!

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Ha, that’s ok Stevo, I tend to do a lot of research before making a purchase so would probably be early January before I started my build.

I’ll keep checking as £250 would make it a lot more desirable 😉

Trying to justify the price in my head of this build for commuting, I’m pretty sure the bike would get an outing here and there at some of the trails I ride, could open up a whole new experience 😀

Stevo210
    Free Member

I also have a full suss Cannondale Rush Carbon and I built up the Whippet for a change and to tackle some local events. But as I don’t like tootling about the capable nature of the whippet and the sheer speed it seems to inspire, I’m genuinely finding it hard to go back to the bouncer. So Im sure it’ll get used a lot.
    Yeah definitely keep your eye out for the deals, the prices goes up and down all the time……at £250 I thought why not, stuck XTR on it then haha.

uwe-r
    Free Member

On one in random pricing shocker!!!

Keva
    Free Member

my commmuter. carbon alliance XTC

doesn’t weigh much, 23lbs at a guess, flies along.

using a 12-26 (I think) roadie cassette on the back. a quick change of tyres and it can go off road.

Stevo210
    Free Member

On one in random pricing shocker!!!

😆

GSuperstar
    Free Member

See we’re talking about weight, but I’m pretty sure however the frame gets built up it’ll be lovely commuting on compared to:

Though I do love her 🙂

Stevo210
    Free Member

Niiiiiiice, there’s a couple of quid there.

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Thanks mate. One of the reasons a 2nd bike for commuting will help keep her happier for longer 🙂

I think I’m sold on your Whippet suggestion. Time to mentally build 😀

hora
    Free Member

Question- what is the weight difference between the Whippet and c456? Seriously? I bet its 200gm. Yes angles all different but if you buy a c456 it gives you future options etc etc.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

c456 has a regular 73mm BB shell vs Whippet with BB92 Pressfit – this alone would make me go for a c456 over a Whippet! 😉 The 200g weight difference would be ‘outweighed’ by having a BB that works (and lasts)…!

teamslug
    Free Member

GSuperstar. Sorry for late reply….you asked about build. Without guards lights etc just bare bike its just over 23lbs. Xtr crank, xt shifter and rear mech, DT Swiss exc150 forks, Hope pro 2 wheels and Various tyres!!. Just used the bits i had from a frame sale. I bought frame secondhand £200.00!!!. Love it so much I’m wondering why i’m honking round on a 140mm sofa!!!.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Butter off with an entry level road bike – will be much more confidence inspiring than a dodgy mtb compromise.

njee20
    Free Member

Without guards lights etc just bare bike its just over 23lbs. Xtr crank, xt shifter and rear mech, DT Swiss exc150 forks, Hope pro 2 wheels and Various tyres

Not unless those tyres are Furious Freds 😉

I’d get an eBay carbon 29er frame and build appropriately, unless you can get in on O-O doing their silly cheap frames as happens periodically!

GSuperstar
    Free Member

It’s not so much the 200 gram difference between the c456 and whippet, it’s the fact that the 456 will need bigger forks, this again adds to weight.

I’ve ridden my Tracer 2 everywhere that I would ride, took me a while to get up the Beast at coed-y-brenin but it can be done eventually ;)So it’s not needed for future options really.

I’m of course presuming that a Whippet will be ok for daily commutes? It’s geometry etc should be ideal or have I got that wrong?

GSuperstar
    Free Member

wonny j – Member
    Butter off with an entry level road bike – will be much more confidence inspiring than a dodgy mtb compromise.

My commute cuts through Urban,road, cycle paths and very dodgy roads, will almost be the complete opposite of confidence inspiring 🙂

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Ok, just noticed you can run 100mm forks on the c456???

Has anyone tried this? does it make the bike feel a bit weird?

svalgis
    Free Member

Definitely Whippet for you sir – the geometry should suit your needs much better, especially with the 80-100mm of travel I assume you’re going to use. Also it’s prettier (very pretty in fact). 🙂

GSI-MAN
    Free Member

I have a beone pearl pro frame i bought from ebay for £250 only 12 months old and the frame weighs 1080gr.Built up with full xtr,carbon bars,seatpost,stem,rigid forks! Stans rims and hope hubs and speedking supersonic tyres! Super light at about 18.5 lbs! A bit overkill for a commuter but i have never been late for work. 😀

GSuperstar
    Free Member

svalgis – Perfect! Thanks for putting my mind at rest 😀 I’ll try and figure out this BB92 issue people are referring to.

GSI-MAN – Exactly! Why compromise when you don’t have to 😀

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Carbon Hardtail Frame, which one?’ is closed to new replies.