Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Carbon fork longevity (roadie)
  • spooky_b329

Recently bought a cross bike with carbon forks. History unknown although it is very good condition so suspect it hasn’t been raced. can’t find much about it but guessing its 6yrs old. What’s the consensus on ‘safe’ age of forks, assuming they have not been crashed?

I know some say carbon mtb bars should be replaced after so many years…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The forks on my cannondale have been there since 2002 and I’m not worried about them.

RealMan
    Free Member

I would say it depends on the quality. If it’s some £60 jobbie off planet x you might as well replace them for peace of mind. If they’re some £400 ritcheys, I’d want to get as much life out of them as I could. If it’s cross as well, a fork breaking isn’t going to be that bad. Would be much worse on road.

druidh
    Free Member

Paid jimmy back yet Realman?

pitduck
    Free Member

well have you 😯

spooky_b329

Oi, no squabbling at the back 🙂

Its a Kinesis frame and fork, Crosslight 3T. Can’t really find much about it. Will be riding road on it. If its a cross fork, it should be stronger anyway…right?

mustard
    Free Member

I would say it depends on the quality. If it’s some£60 jobbie off planet xthing you’ve bought off RealMan you might as well replace them for peace of mind. If they’re some £400 ritcheys, I’d want to get as much life out of them as I could. If it’s cross as well, a fork breaking isn’t going to be that bad. Would be much worse on road.as they’ll be obviously knackered even though he’ll claim they’re box fresh

FTFY

EDIT – Soz Spooky

pjm84
    Free Member

I’ve have a cross fork on a Kinesis that 6yrs old and not worried about it.

On the opposite end of the scale I retire carbon road frames / forks after 5yrs so have a Madone 5.5 frameset sitting in the garage loft.(Only one to get to 5yrs)

I gave this to my friend the other day but strongly suggested that he replace the fork particularly since its had a battering across the pave in Belgium.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You’ll be fine…do you see many sh carbon component with no visible damage breaking?

It’s a myth.

Aren’t metals more likely to break from fatigue than carbon?

atlaz
    Free Member

I had a deep gouge on my carbon forks so replaced them. I’m pretty sure it was paranoia more than anything else but peace of mind meant more to me than 50 quid (new PX forks, cheap in the sale). That said, the gouge had been there for a few months and hadn’t changed in any way, shape or form.

In other news, anyone want to buy some Fuji carbon forks, alu steerer. No gouges, honest. Box fresh.

spooky_b329

Thanks guys, will just check them carefully 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Carbon fork longevity (roadie)’ is closed to new replies.