Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Carbon Bottle Cage – Which one?
  • dirtyrider
    Free Member

after a carbon bottle cage for shorter rides on my TallboyC

needs to fit Camelbak Podium Bottles

is there a go to cage?

cheers

LardLover
    Free Member

Arundel

mrblobby
    Free Member

Tacx Uma. Or Tune if you want something fancy but aren’t too bothered about losing bottles.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Planet X too ghetto for you? Light, cheap, reliable. You could always remove their logos…

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’d also say arundel dave-o – looks good, works well, not a silly price.

TiRed

Arundel. Not cheap but your tallboy needs some “bike jewelry”. They are also excellent. You won’t lose a bottle.

lunge

Elite Custom? Not carbon but very light, looks the business and good enough for most pro roadie teams.

D0NK

Go on I’m curious, I’ve no idea how much your average ali cage weighs, how much weight do you save by switching to carbon?

Ali
    carbon
    is it 10x the difference like the price?

aP
    Free Member

Bontrager xxx ones are good. I’ve had them on my road bike since 06. Never lost a bottle and I use podium too.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Cash spent to weight saved is always diminishing returns!

njee20
    Free Member

I like the Mt Zoom ti ones, carbon weight, don’t end up looking so tatty IMO, and a bit less fragile.

The Tacx Tao carbon are nice though.

DanW
    Free Member

You’ll need a conical bottle instead of the Camelback (Taxa Shiva are great)… doesn’t fit your criteria, but I know you have an inner Weightweenie 😀 I’ve been using one for a year now, including regular rides in rocky South Wales throughout Winter and the bottles have never so much as wobbled. My previous Tacx Tao would regulalry lose bottles riding similar trails. King would be the go to cage though

D0NK

Cash spent to weight saved is always diminishing returns!sarcasm detection fail 🙂

P-X quote carbon weight 22g but not the ali weight.
    Weightweenies to the rescue, ali cages appear to range from 40-90g, hmmm. I’m after a cage for my commuter, trouble is I bet you can’t jam a can of heinz tomato soup, or your tupperware box of last nights leftovers into a carbon cage.

mrblobby
    Free Member

The Tacx Tao carbon are nice though.

Use these on the road bike and like them a lot. Not tried them over the bumpy stuff but have some doubts whether they’d work well as the bottle isn’t really clamped. Njee20, you tried them off road?

sarcasm detection fail

Gets asked by grumpy folk on here often enough, usually followed by a suggestion to have a poo 🙂

DanW
    Free Member

Use these on the road bike and like them a lot. Not tried them over the bumpy stuff but have some doubts whether they’d work well as the bottle isn’t really clamped.

They do indeed feel nice to use but I lost a few bottles on rougher trails. The Tune above looks like it should be about a million times less secure but actually I’ve found it to be far more secure than the Tao

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I generally have a hated of carbon cages. Buy a King Cage Titanium and hand it down to your kids.

njee20
    Free Member

Njee20, you tried them off road?

Indeed I have – I eventually wore through the plastic bit around the bottom bolt, at which point the cage broke, took several years though, I’d have another one.

mrblobby
    Free Member

OP, your stupid thread has now cost me the price of a mt zoom ti cage 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Good choice! I prefer them to the Taos I must say! Don’t scuff bottles as much either.

mrblobby
    Free Member

If it was for a plastic bike I may tried a tao, but it’s a raw metal frame so had to be the mt zoom ti.

white91
    Free Member

How do I remove the planet x logo on my cages?

brakes
    Free Member

I eventually wore through the plastic bit around the bottom bolt

I had two Taos go like this – one wasn’t that old.
    overtightening? maybe.
    not happy? yes.

now use those Elite Custom jobbies like everyone else.

aP
    Free Member

DanW – Member
    Use these on the road bike and like them a lot. Not tried them over the bumpy stuff but have some doubts whether they’d work well as the bottle isn’t really clamped.
    They do indeed feel nice to use but I lost a few bottles on rougher trails. The Tune above looks like it should be about a million times less secure but actually I’ve found it to be far more secure than the Tao

Does Ronde van Vlaanderen and Paris-Roubaix count?
    ‘cos I’ve ridden both courses on my road bike and not lost a bottle on either of them. Not bumpy at all obviously.

TiRed

I found that the Elite cage scrached the camelback bottles badly. Arundel seem not too. Elite Cuisine gel is the Paris Roubaix cage of choice. I have one and it is excellent.

I’ve also been trying the camelback Eddy which does not require inversion to drink from.

ac282

Tacx Tao

timb34
    Free Member

I use Elite custom with Camelbak podium bottles on a hardtail and I haven’t yet lost a bottle (cheap decathlon bottles bounce out pretty easily so I know that it’s the combination of cage and bottle that works)

There’re some interesting cage modifications from the teams at Paris-Roubaix:

Sky were using Elite Ciussi Gel cages with added grip tape
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/photos/tech-gallery-paris-roubaix-2014/301310

United Healthcare were using plastic Tacx Tao, with added zip ties:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/photos/tech-gallery-paris-roubaix-2014/301307

hooli

Really! people honestly need advice on buying a bottle cage 😯 What do you do if you have to buy something big and important like a house or a car?

mrblobby
    Free Member

people honestly need advice on buying a bottle cage

You not been here long then? 🙂

mooman
    Free Member

Tacx Tao good enough I’d say.

mrblobby
    Free Member

That united healthcare mod to the Tao is genius in its simplicity! Grip tape approach is ok if you throw your bottles into a ditch when you’ve finished drinking from then 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Elite custom, if it has to be carbon then elite custom carbon, which weighs infitesimaly less and costs 5x more.

I’ve a Specialized rib cage which works just as well too, never lost a bottle from either.

Camelbak Podium Bottles

You’d save more weight switching to a generic bottle!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Really! people honestly need advice on buying a bottle cage What do you do if you have to buy something big and important like a house or a car?

i generally ask advice on those purchases as well of course, who wouldn’t?

i dont want to spend £x on a carbon cage and my bottles get thrown all over

cheers for all the responses, ill take a look at the suggestions

mrblobby
    Free Member

Don’t know who does the styling for Elite but their cages are aesthetically displeasing.

Northwind

There’s lots of rubbish cages out there so reasonable to ask.

I’d stick with a Bontrager RL personally- not carbon but still plastic to match the bike, not as light as some but works perfectly.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

bought an Arundel, did Dalby with a Cannondale Evo cage off my road bike yesterday was spot on, as long as it performs the same ill be happy

IanW
    Free Member

Really! people honestly need advice on buying a bottle cage What do you do if you have to buy something big and important like a house or a car?

Were as I would like to know which work well but aren’t really bothered about cars, (aren’t Hyundies the best anyway?).

Is there a default choice of cage, bottle doesn’t fall out/rattle but you can put it back one handed on rough road etc?

sturmeyarcher

Another vote for Arundel. Many miles of Flandrian cobbles and not a bottle lost. Looking like new after 3 years of abuse.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Carbon Bottle Cage – Which one?’ is closed to new replies.